Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Law Dawg View Post
    I'm looking at the Explorer Delux Asym Zip (Hex Fly & Snake Skins) with a 2QZQ Underquilt Protector (a steal BTW). That will allow me to experiment with A MacEntyre IX UQ (underquilt) and/or space blankets and/or various insulated pads.
    You can use the IX UQ with or without a protector. Almost everyone who has an IX UQ uses no protector. IX is windproof and water resistant, and almost a vapor barrier by itself.

My puzzle is about the vapor barrier. Would the IX (or other insulator) between the hammock and UQ Protector tend to soak?
    No one has reported any condensation problem with IX UQs, with or without a protector. IX doesn't breath much, so adding the silnylon outer cover has little added effect. If you get too hot, the IX UQs are easy to ventilate.

I have a 2QZQ UQ Protector, and I like it a lot! I never notice that it is even there.

A hybrid between Mac and 2QZQ on this would be sweet so numb skulls like me could just buy the UQ Protector with IX UQ (or experiment) and not have to fuss about vapor barriers.
    I'm puzzled... why do you feel you cannot use an IX UQ without a protector? Why must you fuss about vapor barriers?

I suppose a hybrid might be the Shamu IX UQ or the Baby Orca IX UQ. They both have a breathable nylon outer cover.

One more question (for now ;-) ). Would a UQ Protector and IX UQ work in the Snake Skins for the HH Exp?
    It's been done. I have forgotten who reported stowing their IX UQ in snakeskins with the hammock.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    I'm puzzled... why do you feel you cannot use an IX UQ without a protector? Why must you fuss about vapor barriers?
    Well, because...

Folks should buy the 2QZQ UQ protector instead of asking for a facing fabric on IX UQs!

- MacEntyre
    That and I feel like I am stealing it from 2Q at $25. I'd pay that much for a good micro brew beer sixer.

Reread your post about the IX UQ being perfect just now and so stand corrected on the vapor barrier. Hey I'm still in diapers at this hammock learning curve. Plus I often camp in areas with low temps (freezing and below at times). I want to experiment with different combinations and types of insulation. With a UQ Protector I have options to add between the hammock and protector as well as inside the hammock. The ultimate reason here is I plan to moto camp from Bakingfields to Alaska next year (titanium knees ready or not) and will want to have my camp kit well sorted out and adaptable (might have to bivy the hammock at times).

Thanks Mac...homework continues.
    Last edited by Law Dawg (ret); 09-15-2010 at 13:08.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Gotcha! There were a lot of folks who wanted a cover on their IX, and I was making them all bare. Since then I've added outer covers for both full length and 3/4 UQs... Shamu and Baby Orca.

The only problem with what you want to do is that the 2QZQ UQ Protector doesn't have a real suspension, which you would need if you put things inside it.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Gotcha! There were a lot of folks who wanted a cover on their IX, and I was making them all bare. Since then I've added outer covers for both full length and 3/4 UQs... Shamu and Baby Orca.

The only problem with what you want to do is that the 2QZQ UQ Protector doesn't have a real suspension, which you would need if you put things inside it.
    The last name is Scott...as in Clan Scott (thrifty...cheap is such a vulgar word).

IX UQ + 2QZQ protector = $95
    Shamu = $120
    For the price difference I could buy two protectors or add an extra layer of Universal IX Insert (no offense laddie).

Good heads up Mac, had not thought about no real suspension (though I am already thinking of ways to mod stuff ). Probably would hold a space blanket in a pinch though. Weight is not a huge deal (it is a deal just not huge) but multiple uses for equipment is, space being the issue with moto camping. So no tent and hammock...the hammock will need to be adapted at times.
    Last edited by Law Dawg (ret); 09-15-2010 at 13:15.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Obviously, the Shamu IX UQ price needs to go up!
    Last edited by MacEntyre; 09-14-2010 at 15:46.
    - MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Having fun with you Mac...ya gotta love a guy with a last name that begins with Mac anything. Thanks for taking some time out of your day for me.

I've got to say that this site is awesome if a bit overwhelming to a newb. Much like learning a new language (HH, WBBB, UQ, OQ, etc). I love the mom and pop feel to outfits like yours and 2QZQ etc. Even the bigger folk have that small town feel. The build/modify it yourself stuff here is genius! A tired expression is "community" but it fits very well here. You and 2QZQ will be seeing some of my business for sure.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456