Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Got an idea, not sure how to execute

A few years back I got into hammock camping. Then life got in the way. Since then, I taken a couple spills and managed to damage both shoulders. Day to day activities are not problem, it is sleeping that is my main trouble. I cannot sleep on my back, my snoring turns into serious sleep apnea. But being broad shouldered, side sleep causing a fair amount of pain in the shoulders. A bit of a dilemma really.

Anyway, I've tried a bunch of hammocks in the past and always went back to my simple DIY gathered end made from 1.6oz HyperD. Sadly I tried it recently and found it uncomfortable on the shoulders. What I would like to do is put a hole in the hammock to let my arm hang through the material. Probably sew in some kind of pocket to support my arm. The idea being to take to weight off my shoulder entirely. The issue as I see it is how do I keep the fabric from simply ripping where the hole is? I'm no lightweight at 240#. Could use some ideas.

TIA,
    Pete

Hammock
    WBO BBXLC 2nd Gen
    Tarp
    WBO Thunderfly
    Insulation
    TQ, UQ, windsock
    Suspension
    UHMWPE + Amsteel
    I'm sorry you're living with the aches and pains from injury and age. I am, so please don't view my reply as brash arrogance, but simply levity of your predicament...
    Dig a post hole in the ground, stick your arm down in, and try to go to sleep... that's the equivalent of building an arm hole in a GE hammock.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    My 12x6 hammock is my most comfortable, so far.
    I don’t have a bridge hammock, you might want to try a bridge hammock. Some of our favorite cottage vendors make bridge hammocks for big campers.
    Also the vendor’s name,slipped my mind, makes a hammock with a built in side shelf. Maybe you could try to sleep with your arm in the side shelf or pocket.

I hope your shoulders heal enough for you to get a good nights sleep.
    Also some of my hammock friends use a c-pap machine to help their breathing and snoring smooth enough to get good sleep through the night.

Regardless, Good Luck

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    That seems like a tough deal with your shoulders. Honestly I don't know that cutting a hole in your hammock would work very well. A bridge hammock might work better, and maybe one of the 90-deg hammocks like an Amok Dramur.

I can possibly talk about the sleep apnea. I have sleep apnea too, better now that I fixed a few things. For camping/backpacking I have used a small (about the size of my hand) battery operated CPAP machine, which works great. I just a few weeks ago visited my dentist and was fitted for an dental insert that helps hold my lower jaw forward and keeps my airway open. Not cheap, but cheaper/lighter that the portable CPAP machine/battery.

I've been testing the dental insert at home the last couple weeks and tracking my pulse ox and sleep data. So far so good, and I'm actually getting better numbers that with my CPAP. Consult your own health care folks if you think this might be something for you.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    I wouldn't think a Ridge Runner or Banyon would pinch your shoulders. I've converted to a bridge hammock, and it has alleviated for me the discomforts you have described. You could always sell it on HF if it didn't work for you, that's how I got mine.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Insulation
    HG TQ, WB Wookie
    Find an old Hennessy asym with the Velcro bottom. Reverse your head feet lay and poke your arm out the Velcro. At least you can see if your idea will work for you.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWet View Post
    Find an old Hennessy asym with the Velcro bottom. Reverse your head feet lay and poke your arm out the Velcro. At least you can see if your idea will work for you.
    Brilliant idea! And from a noob too! Welcome to the Forum PNWet! Glad to have you joining the free exchange of ideas.

btw ... JeepinPete, you don't necessarily need to buy an old Hennessey. If you can get to a Hammock Hang and announce your desire regarding what you would like to try in the hang planning thread, there will likely be attendees that can bring along what you are looking for. For example, I'll be heading to MAHHA for a hang next month at Caledonia State Park, PA and I have an old Hennessey I could bring along. I think that hang is already booked full, but you might want to get on the waiting list in case slots open up. Worked for me.

MAHHA Hang official planning thread:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...lanning-Thread

Depending on where you are in PA, there are other hangs that might also be convenient for you. Dutch has a page on his website that shows all the ones he's aware of.

Hang Hang Events & Calendar:
    https://dutchwaregear.com/hammock-hang-events/
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    i always recommend the amok Draumr for folks with bad shoulders

I suffered thru frozen shoulder the last 2 years and the draumr was great for me

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    And there's one for sale right now on the forum. (Tapatalk doesn't like me to give links that aren't Tapatalk links, so this is the heading)

Dream Hammock Darian & Amok Dramur w/ 25 Degree Amok Pad

"Sent w/o me knowing"

Thanks for the suggestions folks. I own a Dramur, tried a bridge, owned a Hennesey once upon a time. None really work for me. The Dramur is close, but frankly I find it fiddley, noisy, and having not real advantage to sleeping on the ground. Hence why I am looking to modify my home made 12'.

So back to the original question, any ideas on reenforcing a shoulder sized hole in a gathered end hammock? This is the DIY section after all If the experiment doesn't work out, I'm out a hammcok that I cannot use right now anyway...

TIA,
    Pete

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast