Dream Dangerbird
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG TQ & UQ 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images

Red face Sipsey Out and Back with Aiden!

This one doesn't have a hammock, bc my boy isn't quite ready to sleep so far away from Dad yet - but I figured I'd share our adventure anyways! Please give me a like or subscribe if you like the content. Thanks!

This was my first attempt at editing with a real video editor (I'd been using iMovie up until this one). I'm using Davinci Resolve 18 here after watching about 40 min of tutorials. If you have any comments or constructive criticism on my editing, please share!

All video shot on iPhone 13 Pro Max.

Note there are some shots that Aiden did that are really shaky, sorry for that. He's still learning. I included them bc this video was for him! :) Did my best to smooth them out but image stabilization can only do so much! :lol:

Where: Sipsey Wilderness, AL. Starting at the Sipsey trailhead, and going out about a mile.

When: Friday, May 19th - Sat, May 20th.

Distance: 2 miles

Conditions: It was cloudy and humid. Looked like it would rain, but it did not! Thankfully.

Lighterpack: Nemo Losi Kit Base weight was around 15ish, I was right at 20 lbs with water and food. This is not my lightest kit, but it's the one I use with my son, since he's not quite ready to sleep in his own hammock/tent by himself yet.

Useful Pre-Trip info: This is a great area, but you will have NO cellphone signal in the area. I can sometimes get a text off at the trailhead, but not always.

Trip Report: This was a quick out and back with my son. We went into the woods Friday evening about a mile, had a fire with smores and some dinner, and then Aiden gives a full run down of his "specials", his stuffed animals of which a few always come with us on any of our adventures. Saturday morning we wake to cereal, coffee, and cliff bars to head back to the car. This was Aiden's 5th outing and the first one EVER that we didn't get rained on!

Gear notes: I was pleased with my setup. I know my tent is not super light for this trip, but it's the only one I have that will sleep 2, and Aiden is adamant he doesn't want to sleep in his own hammock/tent yet, so that's the reason for the heavier tent. My Outdoor Vitals backpacking pillow went flat on me, which was a bummer. I have a warranty request in with them now. Hopefully they'll get it fixed soon.
    Last edited by WesArnold; 05-24-2023 at 05:54.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    Love his frame pack! The Sipsey is a fabulous place to get started. Lots to see. We've had many group hangs in the WolfPen Hunt Camp and have introduced a couple of tikes and small fry to the hammock there. Bunking or using the same trees for a side by side are two ways to do it.
    Thanks for sharing your trip!

Charlotte

Hammock
    Dream Dangerbird
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG TQ & UQ 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by xMagnolia View Post
    Love his frame pack! The Sipsey is a fabulous place to get started. Lots to see. We've had many group hangs in the WolfPen Hunt Camp and have introduced a couple of tikes and small fry to the hammock there. Bunking or using the same trees for a side by side are two ways to do it.
    Thanks for sharing your trip!

Charlotte
    Thank you! I am actually getting ready to buy a Dutch spreader bar double hammock kit, for exactly what you just said! I have got to get my car fixed first, and then planning to purchase as long as my funds are still looking good!

My brother actually found that pack at a thrift store. It's a youth size, and really old, but it's worked perfect for my boy! I'm planning to upgrade him to something a bit more modern for his birthday or Christmas this year!
    Last edited by WesArnold; 05-22-2023 at 10:27.

• + New Posts