Mosquito Jungle
    Tarp
    Oware 8x10 w/Beaks
    Insulation
    DIY SPE w/ccf, etc
    Suspension
    JRB webbing
    BillyBob58-
    I use the dimensions from my JRB No Sniveler (78"x48"; used w/a HH ULBA) for a base and go from there; just base your dimensions on your need for coverage (I'm 5'10" and like a 62" shoulder width) and/or the materials you use. For example: I modified a Sportsman's Guide ultralight sleeping bag into an under quilt/top quilt (48"x70")by eliminating the zipper, relocating one of the two top drawstrings to the bottom, and adding end and side grosgrain tabs for hanging loops and side pullouts. Bam! A 22 oz sleeping bag became a 16 oz quilt! I also took a ThermoLite poncho liner, cut it down, added a head slot and ended up with a top quilt/serape (72"x54"; 28oz to 22oz.), in camo no less (FishBone winks at Neo)! A pending project is to add 1.1oz ripstop wings to my JRB to use for sleeping on that "other" place hangers sometimes use when absolutely necesssary. This will expand the "wrap" from 48" to 62" and only add about 1-2oz. I hope that helps.
    "A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving." - Lao Tzu

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    Preacha Man,
    I was just curious if you went with the climashield and if you had made a quilt yet. My Climashield Combat 3.7 arrived yesterday and saw this thread while fishing for quilt info.

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Redtail View Post
    Preacha Man,
    I was just curious if you went with the climashield and if you had made a quilt yet. My Climashield Combat 3.7 arrived yesterday and saw this thread while fishing for quilt info.
    no not yet, sorry. I just haven't gotten around to ordering it yet, but I need to hurry up and do it. I will go with the Climashield, and will sew it to the hems of the hammock with a 1.1oz ripstop outer shell. I'll post pics when I'm finished. Thanks for reminding me
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Images

What is the difference....

I am looking at thru-hiker.com and see that there are several different types of synthetic insulation....
    ClimaShield XP
    ClimaShield Combat
    PreQuilted PrimaLoft One
    PrimaLoft Sport

Also on the OWFInc.com website they offer ClimaShield Continuous Filament (which as I understand it is PolarGuard 3D, but they cannot use the name)

Of the various types of insulation what are the Pros and Cons of each? Is there an article I can read? Maybe I should start a new thread.
    Please help a guy understand what it all means and how to chose the best insulation for a given circumstance.

I just finished 2 of these:http://www.backpacking.net/makegear/...ilt/index.html

using this insulation:http://www.thru-hiker.com/insulation.html

and some 'rip-stop polysester' from WalMart. It was a simple project to layout but the sewing on the first one got a bit ragged. The second one went much better. It was my first sewing project and I am pleased (to a point) with the results. I haven't tried the quilts out yet but I'm hoping to get into the 20s with both quilts and a SuperShelter underpad.

TWS

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images

Lions, tigers, and CLO, oh my

Quote Originally Posted by Preacha Man View Post
    no not yet, sorry. I just haven't gotten around to ordering it yet, but I need to hurry up and do it. I will go with the Climashield, and will sew it to the hems of the hammock with a 1.1oz ripstop outer shell. I'll post pics when I'm finished. Thanks for reminding me
    No problem. I haven't been in any hurry since it's been summer. Now all of a sudden it's supposed to be in the 40's Saturday night. I'm just doing a simple top quilt. Let us know how that insulated hammock works out.

Quote Originally Posted by cameronjreed View Post
    I am looking at thru-hiker.com and see that there are several different types of synthetic insulation....
    ClimaShield XP
    ClimaShield Combat
    PreQuilted PrimaLoft One
    PrimaLoft Sport

Also on the OWFInc.com website they offer ClimaShield Continuous Filament (which as I understand it is PolarGuard 3D, but they cannot use the name)

Of the various types of insulation what are the Pros and Cons of each? Is there an article I can read? Maybe I should start a new thread.
    Please help a guy understand what it all means and how to chose the best insulation for a given circumstance.
    ClimaShield Combat is XP, just a different thickness/weight. It comes in three weights 2.5, 3.7, and 5 oz/yd. I was reading some threads but it's not helpfull because they say things like "I used two layers of climashield" which is really meaningless without specifying the weight. I read lots of info on CLO, etc. but there's really nothing but personal experience I guess because one persons 32 degree quilt might only be a 50 degree one for someone else. I ended up just going by AYCE's description for the 3.7 ("At 3.7 osy, its CLO value is 3.7* 0.78= 2.9 which places it at right around 32 degrees.") and I'll see how it goes.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Dubs View Post
    I just finished 2 of these:http://www.backpacking.net/makegear/...ilt/index.html

using this insulation:http://www.thru-hiker.com/insulation.html

and some 'rip-stop polysester' from WalMart. It was a simple project to layout but the sewing on the first one got a bit ragged. The second one went much better. It was my first sewing project and I am pleased (to a point) with the results. I haven't tried the quilts out yet but I'm hoping to get into the 20s with both quilts and a SuperShelter underpad.

TWS
    Thanks for the quilt link. I'm making something similar but with a drawstring bottom instead. I got some ripstop from Wallyworld too. Which insulation did you use? Your link shows all of them.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    for anyone interested, here's how i have made two insulated hammocks.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...5/P9110013.JPG
    it worked great. the first two were heaver than they should have been, partly because the insulation went from knot to knot.
    i plan to make another soon that will be insulated from head to just below feet.
    the key is to weight the hammock as if occupied.
    1st add ccf pads. that will allow you to reach inside if needed. then add what ever else you have to stretch the hammock to near it's full stretch.
    when you bring the insulation up from both sides & pin, then hand baste it, leave a little play.
    this can be brought up to contact the hammock by 4 cords w/ cord locks. two cord locks each side will allow the shell to be adjusted just right.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    HH
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Homemade Quilts
    Go here for a brief discussion on fabric, especially the new Momentum. http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/ look under FabricMojo. Climashield XP is essentially replacing PolarGuard 3D since the manufacturer stopped producing it. It is supposedly a bit better in insulation capability as compared to 3D, at least that is my understanding. Go to the manufacturer's website for technical info. I'm using it my underquilts, which I need to get busy on

Quote Originally Posted by Redtail View Post
    <snip> Which insulation did you use? Your link shows all of them.
    I used the 2.5oz XP insulation for both of my quilts. I found it to be somewhat uneven in thickness. I also ended up with about 18" of unused insulation, which I added to the foot of one quilt. A little extra warmth there would be a good thing!

TWS

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast