Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Exped Down Pad
    Suspension
    JRB's TriGlides
    Images

Question Opie's Whoopie Straps & Toggle Questions

I think I have everything figured out...but it would be helpful to view the video I found this morning (which one I cannot remember) which shows how to hook up the Whoopie Slings where the former line went through.

Thanks everyone for you help!
    Last edited by WalksInDark; 04-15-2010 at 16:25.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WalksInDark View Post
    Just got myself a brand new pair of Opie's Whoopie Straps & Toggles. Rather than flounder around, I thought I would ask the 2 questions that immediately come to mind:

On the Whoopie straps there is small clear round piece that goes through the cordage at the non-adjustable end...why is it there and what does it do?

As to the toggles, I am using Henessey tree huggers and can't figure out how to use the toggles. Any/All assistance is appreciated.

P.S. I would contact Opie but he is somewhere out in the Wilderness as we speak.
    I believe the clear pc you mention is to keep the Whoopie sling from pulling inside itself. It is like a bead for a necklace.

the toggle simply goes in the toggle loop. The whoopie loop goes arond the toggle, but the toggle just keeps the whoppie from coming out. somone will have a pic I am sure. If not I will see you tomarrow.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Yep, we will all help each other tomorrow.!!

Edit: I thought it was Hoosier, not MAHHA. SORRY
    Last edited by gargoyle; 04-15-2010 at 15:57.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Dangerbird 72
    Tarp
    HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Best demonstration of hanging the toggle from the strap that I've seen is in Shug's Hammock Hangin' How-To #1, about 4 minutes in.

Best verbal description I could give, is to take your tree hugger, wrap it around the tree, feeding one end through the loop at the other end, so you have a single end coming off the tree toward your hammock.

Then, holding that end and facing the tree, lift the end, and fold it over the strap, so a loop forms, coming off the tree, turning left in front of you, doing a u-turn and laying over the strap, and the end will be pointing to your right.

Next, fold that whole loop (as is) up onto the strap still leading back to the tree....this will then allow you to pull that strap through the loop, forming a little nest that you can put the toggle through.

Put the toggle in, pull the knot tight, and hang the whoopie sling so it hangs on the knot, behind the toggle (in other words, the toggle isn't supporting any weight -- it's just providing a bracing point for the webbing, which is taking all the force when you get in the hammock.

To disassemble, simply pull the toggle out, and the whole knot comes undone.

Hammock
    Hennesy so far
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Exped Down Pad
    Suspension
    JRB's TriGlides
    Images

Two Down, One New Question: HH With Whoopie

Thanks to your help I think I have everything figured out.

However, it would be helpful to view the video I found this morning (which one I cannot remember) which shows how to hook up the Whoopie Slings where the former line went through.

Last edited by WalksInDark; 04-15-2010 at 16:26.

Quote Originally Posted by WalksInDark View Post
    Thanks to your help I think I have everything figured out.

However, it would be helpful to view the video I found this morning (which one I cannot remember) which shows how to hook up the Whoopie Slings where the former line went through.

You're probably talking about this video if you have a Hennessy.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/v...ls&videoid=162
    I probably watched that at least a dozen times before I had the guts to take the original lines off my Hennessy. It turned out to be really easy.

If you have something that's not a Hennessy, you're probably talking about the video at the bottom of Opie's page.
    http://www.whoopieslings.com/
    Just scroll down.

Edit: DUH your profile says you have a Hennessy so I'm guessing you want the first one.
    Last edited by Boris Losdindawoods; 04-15-2010 at 17:04. Reason: Duh

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Walks... If you need anymore assistance, dont hesitate to contact me. Ill be around till tomorrow morning at 7. After that Im dropping off the radar for 3 days.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/straps/MS
    Walks,

Ken's video was all it took for me to 'rip' out the HH suspension - before Opie's whoopie slings even arrived!

I found it easier with pre-made whoopies to not run the end loop up through the outer hole (Ken's video shows making the whoopie sling 'as you go')... Pass the whoopie end loop up through the inner hole, make two 'reverse' wraps (from the inner hole towards the outer hole) with the whoopie free end in between the holes, pass the end loop over the wraps and through the ridgeline loop, then pass the whoopie free end through the whoopie end loop, and finally the whoopie free end down through the outer hole finishing off with adjusting/tightening the attachment...

It's actually much easier doing it than explaining it, however!! When finished it is exactly the same as in Ken's video - you can probably envision it while watching the video - the attachment portion of the vid runs from 2:08 to 3:47.

Have fun!
    Last edited by enyapjr; 04-16-2010 at 19:00.
    Happy trails!!!
    Jim (PITA)

HYOH! (hike/hang your own hike/hang)

"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time." - Steven Wright

Either method will work. The only real difference is that Ken's method has the weight inside the fixed loop so that it won't cinch down in use.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/straps/MS
    Sorry - I don't get what you mean by "...the weight inside the fixed loop so that it won't cinch down in use."
    My borrowed but altered method winds up being exactly the same as Ken's upon completion... Perhaps my description was lacking somewhat... ;-)

Okay - found where the description was lacking and could lead one astray... the 'reverse' wraps between the holes are made with the whoopie free end, NOT the fixed loop end referred to in the previous step... I edited the earlier post...

Thanks for making me think harder!!
    Last edited by enyapjr; 04-16-2010 at 18:57.
    Happy trails!!!
    Jim (PITA)

HYOH! (hike/hang your own hike/hang)

"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time." - Steven Wright

• + New Posts