DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    For regular entry GE hammocks, it's really a two-part problem, right? Part 1, getting up. Part 2, getting out.

As several others have mentioned, using your ridgeline and affixing a "help loop" to the ridgeline to help pull yourself to a sitting position can help with Part 1. Also shift as much to the diagonal as you can before you start, even to the point of having your legs dangle over the edge.

Once you're sitting, time for Part 2. There has been some good advice already given for this part too. But one thing others haven't discussed yet is the amount of hammock fabric behind your behind. I have found it extremely helpful to shift the fabric toward my back. Basically I wiggle and scooch until I am sitting just on the very edge of the hammock with as little fabric under my rump as possible. You'd be surprised how much difference just a couple of inches of fabric will make. The closer you are to the edge, the more resistance there is in the fabric. More resistance = easier to stand. It's sort of like the difference between getting out of a park bench vs a bean bag chair.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    DW Netless
    Tarp
    Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Snivel / Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    What works for me, might not work for everyone.
    I get my feet to hang over hammock edge and help twist my body at an angle to hammock, by pushing with my feet against hammock edge.
    Now I’m at a diagonal lay to hammock with my feet and lower legs outside the hammock.

I draw both knees toward my chest and do three things at once:
    I kick both legs high in air towards outside of hammock. Legs are fully extended outside hammock.
    And at same time I throw my arm that is furthest from edge of hammock, I throw that arm in direction of my knees that are kicking-extending out.
    And at same time I twist my head and neck towards the hammocks edge.

This maneuver usually gets me sitting up with my feet on ground. I usually wait a few seconds in case this kick and spin move has caused any dizziness.
    I think I found of video of what you are describing. 😅

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12