Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The elusive Top Quilt Protector...

Hi, long time lurker about to take the leap of faith into the hammock - and here comes my first post.

Why no Top Quilt Protector?
    Temperature, humidity, wind, metabolism, even the angle of breath outflux - these variables covers most of what comes into play with the emanation of the dreaded condensation/frost. There are several threads and posts but I have not been able to find anything about the elusive Top Quilt Protector. From a theoretical pov it seems a sound idea. Here are some forum links on the subject that points out the problem w condensation if anyone is unfamiliar with the horrible phenomenon.
    First thread
    Second thread
    Selected posts:
    First post
    Second post

My experience of condensation is not good. I don't like it from several perspectives, there are good reasons to eliminate it. My experience w frost gives me my base line in my view.

While in military service I drove a smaller terrain vehicle during a larger manoeuvre. It was -40° (f or C, your choice), the heating system gave up and the windshield was opaque in no-time and my co-driver had to work full-time with the ice scraper. Or? The entire battalion was on the move, no time for a break trying to fix the problem - what to do? As I grew up in cold conditions I knew there was only one solution: open the windows (!). My co-driver helped me and we managed to get winter gear on while driving at the same time and arrived a few hours later quite cold but we never broke convoy.

So, ventilation. Of course not more than needed because that costs warmth. Thus, a tarp, a hammock, insulation and getting the 'sensitive gear out of harm's way'. The tarp gains degrees and is not sensitive to condensation nor frost, thus no problem. The exhalation has to be vented easily and quick or it will settle wherever we find it most inconvenient and the best way to get rid of it is to avoid cover. That's it. No sock, no mesh, no panels, no nothing. It will be warmer in there but it will also be, in 99,6% of the cases, more humid. Humid is seldom good.

Problem solved? Of course not, all the variables can never be handled with one solution but the important point is: remove humidity. Now, cold enough and air is not moving: condensation/frost is there even w/o tarp. Well, there are frostbibs and that is all well but my experience from ground camping says 'sleeping bag protector'. A bag w waterproof 'floor and walls' and a top panel of cloth that can let humidity pass (from the body) but also protect the sleeping bag from condensation/slobber/frost. That Protector is easily wiped and dried, and frost can usually be brushed off.

That takes us to a TQP. An UQP on top. Preferably attached w zippers (Chameleon, more?) and possibility to open a vent in the foot end. Like a tarpaulin for a boat as @leiavoia put it. It is a smaller 'room' to keep warm compared to a cover, the surface area is smaller so less convection, it doesn't catch your breath and in case you wake up w slobber that is not on the quilt.

So where is the TQP? Do I have to make my own or is it already tried but not trusted?

(Now, one can argue that the ridge line and tarp can catch humidity, sure - but it's it a problem? )

I see TQP as a viable path to explore. I can speculate just as much as the other guy but do you have practical experience? Please share!

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    the main reason you expressed is why there is no "top quilt protector": condensation. instead of condensation from your body respiration building up outside of your quilt you're trapping it inside the quilt. the way quilts normally work is the heat from your body migrates the moisture to the surface of the quilt where it can (hopefully) evaporate. you can see this in action on a humid foggy night... your quilts and hammock will be drenched when you climb in, but after a time your body heat will dry it out. this is why it's built with breathable materials, and why a hammock made from a poly utility tarp isn't used (except for that guy in the YouTube video, I tried his ideas before I found this forum, they were a no-go, and that was only ONE of the reasons the idea actually sucks)

that's why people came up with the "breath catcher" idea instead. (i.e. the basis of the Dutchware "breath-alizer" product)

this past winter I experimented with using my 30° down under quilt over my hammock ridgeline instead of my top cover, essentially turning my setup into a peapod, and I actually had very little in the way of condensation. however I was doing this in combination with a hot tent, so that I wouldn't have to keep waking up all night to keep it going, it's possible though that the heat from the wood stove was able to dry the down out enough that condensation build up never became an issue in the down, so I'm not going to prematurely brand it a success story.

Sent from my SM-T727V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by WalksIn2Trees; 08-20-2023 at 20:55.

I have slept in a sleeping bag protector', sure, my body emanates humidity, but that does not disappear because I have a hammock cover? (think a big sleeping bag protector you also breath into)
    Now, have you any experience with sleeping with a cover directly on top of the top quilt, not hanging over the ridge line?

Or, one can argue that a cover hanging UNDER the ridge line with the head end detached in such a way that the cover covers but no-one is breathing in there and there is a vent in the foot end. One can argue that it is a top quilt protector. The space under it is larger than a piece of cloth directly on the tq and implications follow from a larger space but it's it still worse than breeding inside that space? Sure, there are vents on winter socks, but none the less - vast amounts of humidity is removed from the equation when we get the mouth out of the game.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MrCrumbles View Post
    I have slept in a sleeping bag protector', sure, my body emanates humidity, but that does not disappear because I have a hammock cover? (think a big sleeping bag protector you also breath into)
    Now, have you any experience with sleeping with a cover directly on top of the top quilt, not hanging over the ridge line?
    no you want moisture to be able to leave ... you DON'T want to trap it in with you where it can turn to ice next to your skin. and yes I've tried those emergency blanket style reflective bivvys.

your breath is another story, a breath catcher is designed to keep the moisture from your breath from collecting on your top-quilt & the tarp above you, then ice crystals or water droplets raining down all over your quilts every time you move. I've never used one though, I usually completely cover myself with the quilt, head and all. it's not something I do intentionally I start off with my head outside, it's just something that happens while I'm sleeping. there was one winter I drenched-out my top-quilt, just with my breath, so if you can avoid that habit you're better off.

I have never used aluminium covered plastics either but I guess they are just as breathing as a mylar bag = not. I am talking waterproof tarp, breathing tqp.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MrCrumbles View Post
    I have never used aluminium covered plastics either but I guess they are waterproof. I am talking waterproof tarp, breathing tqp.
    yeah it was *supposed* to be breathable what a crappy night that was... it was one of those nights that started off mild and then the temperature dropped extremely and I wasn't prepared for it but I fortunately had that. I'm sure it helped, and it seemed to it first, but I couldn't tell by morning... what a miserable SOB I was that morning, the entire inside of it was covered in iced up condensation. and this wasn't some off brand one either this is the one that you get in all the outdoors supply stores to put in your emergency kit.

Humidity comes from your back, passes the hammock, then comes to the uq and protector, that vents or? Of course more goes upwards due to physics but get another uqp, pull it over yourself, let it vent in the foot end, will even that setup fail equally or worse than having your head under it?

Thing is, when I sleep in a sleeping bag protector it is more humid, yes, but humidity is coming out of the top panel that I can't blame my breath for. Close to my mouth is more condensation/frost but that can be brushed or wiped off. Is the sleeping bag unaffected closest to my mouth? No, but far better than the protector.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    usually the only condensation issues I have is from my breath, or from snow collecting on the tarp and condensation building up on the inside from the warm air hitting the cold tarp.

I think you're overthinking it a bit, as long as your quilts are rated for the conditions you'll be in you should be okay without one I don't even use an UQP, although I do have reflectix that I bring in case the temperature drops below my safety margin... unlikely at this stage now that I have a -40°f quilt set, but then again "The times, they are changin' " so who knows what the future will bring

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast