Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

4x6 post leans. Should I tether it with steel cables?

Hello all,
    I came across this forum while researching options
    Just installed a 4x6 post as shown in the picture. Because of rocks in the ground, I could only go 30 inches into the ground.
    The thing bends/leans over by an inch or two when I use a hammock. I weigh 200Lbs
    I am afraid it will snap at some point.
    SHould I
    (a) Tether it to the ground using 3/16 steel wires, Turnbuckle and ground anchor ?
    (b) install at another location where I can go 36 inches with a 6x6
    Hammock.jpg

Generally, you want 1/3 of a post in the ground. Even that is probably not enough with a hammock hanging from it. Guying it would definitely work but that takes up space and creates a tripping hazard. Is there any way to put in a brace at the top between the two things supporting the hammock? (Is it two 4X6s?)

FWIW, that quikrete will cause premature rotting of the post. Better to have used gravel.

Images
    I agree with TominMN.

Thank you for your suggestions.
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    Is there any way to put in a brace at the top between the two things supporting the hammock? (Is it two 4X6s?)
    Its a tree on the other end, I cannot think of a way to brace the two.

FWIW, that quikrete will cause premature rotting of the post. Better to have used gravel.
    Gravel as in this stuff from home depot?
    Just pour it into the fence post hole? Or does it need something else ?

If I dropped the point where I tie the hammock to 60" instead of 78", will that help (that way 30" i.e, 1/3rd of 90") is below the ground?

Quote Originally Posted by Zach L View Post
    I agree with TominMN.
    Thank you Zach

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    Generally, you want 1/3 of a post in the ground. Even that is probably not enough with a hammock hanging from it. Guying it would definitely work but that takes up space and creates a tripping hazard. Is there any way to put in a brace at the top between the two things supporting the hammock? (Is it two 4X6s?)

Yes, good point. put gravel or sand in the bottom of the hole up over the bottom 6 inches of the post, so rain will go down the post, but can eventually drain out, and not remain collected in the encased concrete all the time.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Quote Originally Posted by manok View Post
    Its a tree on the other end, I cannot think of a way to brace the two.
    I know it sounds sooooo wrong but a couple of steel nails won't really harm most trees. A small horizontal piece of wood nailed to the tree could support a top rail.

Gravel as in this stuff from home depot?
    Just pour it into the fence post hole? Or does it need something else ?

How can you beat all-purpose! That stuff is just fine. Tamp it in every so often as you add it to the hole.

If I dropped the point where I tie the hammock to 60" instead of 78", will that help (that way 30" i.e, 1/3rd of 90") is below the ground?
    Attaching as low as is practical puts the least amount of stress on the 4X6. Think "leverage."

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Perhaps you can put another post in front of the tree and top brace from post to post. You'll still have the tree for ambiance. That top brace will be so much more effective than any ground-anchored cabling. A site I had in a commercial campground on SaltSpring Island used telephone poles with no top bracing. Even though they were solid in the ground, there was still some flex when moving about in the hammock (or using three poles for two hammocks).
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I would get a new post, 6x6 inches and much longer than old post.
    Treat post first, from top to bottom. Remove old post, dig hole much deeper, insert new post, make it sturdy with gravels as they have discussed.
    And your new post will have enough height to add a cross bar from new post to other end post, higher than tarp ridgeline. This will stop most all inward leaning of posts when you are in hammock.

This may or may not work for you. Feel free to discard my ideas. Ultimately your choice will work, to your satisfaction!

Hammock
    Hexon1.0
    Tarp
    SP Mt Wilderness
    Insulation
    HG TQ UQ
    Suspension
    CL/Marlinspike
    Images
    Hang from a crossbar. Use a strap to hold the end of the crossbar to the tree then connect the other end to post. Connect hammock to the crossbar. You can buy fence pipe from the hardware store.
    OldnWay

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast