Space blanket- underquilt

Hola,
    Do you guys see any advantage of placing a simple space blanket between a Yeti and the hammock?

Thanks,
    Earplug

Hammock
    WB BB
    Tarp
    WB BM
    Insulation
    Yeti

Not an expert

I might be wrong. But wouldn't the space blanket between you and the Yeti block the benefits of the Yeti?

Again..my hammock and yeti won't get here till early next week, but that would my uneducated guess.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    It would add more warmth to your UQ but you will likely encounter condensation issues as the space blanket will essentially be a vapor barrier.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    A space blanket between you and the Yeti acts as a vapor barrier, and indeed will provide a temperature boost.

Have a look at this thread. Youngblood explained the effect there, in detail. Also note that the Yeti liner that Brandon sells acts in the same way.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    HH UExpl; WBBB; JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    CCS; HH Hex; WB Su
    Insulation
    MW-3, Sierra Sniv
    Suspension
    Woopie, Dutch Clip
    Quote Originally Posted by earplug94 View Post
    Hola,
    Do you guys see any advantage of placing a simple space blanket between a Yeti and the hammock?

Thanks,
    Earplug
    Ah, yup.

When the space blanket is placed between the hammock and the UQ it will act as both a radiant barrier and a vapor barrier. The colder it is, the more effective it will be. On a recent trip in March, I loaned my other hammock to a first-timer, and wanted him to have the coziest experience, so he got the warmer UQ and the only space blanket I had. I had a HH hammock with the impervious under cover. I had the JRB MW3 UQ in between. It was 19° that night and in the morning I had condensation in the bottom of the undercover, which means the down UQ also had high humidity. This hasn't happened with the spaceblanket at even colder temps. (By "space blanket" I mean the thin mylar sheets, rather than the heavy ripstop "Space Blanket" which I use as a ground cloth when a groundcloth is required. )
    Not all who wander are lost.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by canoeski View Post
    Ah, yup.

When the space blanket is placed between the hammock and the UQ it will act as both a radiant barrier and a vapor barrier. The colder it is, the more effective it will be. On a recent trip in March, I loaned my other hammock to a first-timer, and wanted him to have the coziest experience, so he got the warmer UQ and the only space blanket I had. I had a HH hammock with the impervious under cover. I had the JRB MW3 UQ in between. It was 19° that night and in the morning I had condensation in the bottom of the undercover, which means the down UQ also had high humidity. This hasn't happened with the spaceblanket at even colder temps. (By "space blanket" I mean the thin mylar sheets, rather than the heavy ripstop "Space Blanket" which I use as a ground cloth when a groundcloth is required. )
    Yup. You don't want to put an UQ inside the SuperShelter under cover unless you also put a space blanket between you and the UQ. The Hennessy under cover doesn't breath so your body moisture will get trapped and condense when it hits the cold under cover and possibly before then in the down. Adding a space blanket will act as a vapor barrier and prevent moisture from entering that area.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    WB BB
    Tarp
    WB BM
    Insulation
    Yeti
    See I was wrong. Learn something new everyday.

• + New Posts