DIY Black Sil
    Insulation
    DIY Insultex
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images

Hammock Agenda?

Hey hangers!

I was explaining to a coworker today why I had to stop into the local sewing shop and why I have a pretty sudden interest in sewing. I've been talking about my hammock to quite a lot of people lately. People really don't know anything about our subculture here!!

I've really grown to like the close knit community here. It got me thinking.

Should we set some goals as a hammock community? This may be ignorance speaking - but is it true that hammocks are not allowed on the AT? If that is not the case, I have seen several posts about state parks I think.

I think that educating officials on how SAFE hammocks can be for trees - using a strap combo of some sort and following our own rules could really be beneficial. Do you think a couple hundred letters might help change some minds?

Tell me what you think. If you have an agenda, I'd like to hear it. I absolutely don't mind sending off a few letters - I hope others feel the same way.

There are hammocks all over the AT. I hadn't realized how common they were until I got there. Ran into a guy named Apache on my very first night and thought it was a coincidence. I don't think there was a single day when I didn't see at least one other hanger.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    There are a few small stretches of the AT where hammocks are not allowed; all in State Parks. Otherwise, it's free hanging!

Letters are great and they certainly help, but actual interaction is much better. When I write lawmakers, I include an invitation to try for themselves. I haven't been taken up on the invitation by anybody yet, but I think it provides a call to action of sorts in the correspondence.

Because there is power in numbers, I also try to educate the outdoor community as a whole in my area. I've hosted a couple dozen small 'hangs' at our house this year alone. I look for local festivals to attend, many of which do not charge any fees to those who are there for 'educational purposes'; in other words, not selling anything. I spend the day talking to people about hammocks and their benefits, letting them try a couple of mine, and answering questions. I don't try to sell anything beyond information and most people are both surprised and receptive.

Gotta start somewhere and the general population is probably the best bet. If enough people support it, then policy will come around....maybe.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    1.1 DL Traveler
    Tarp
    Etowah 8x10
    Insulation
    AHE Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I always found it nice to pack a second hammock for people to try. Especially if I bring out the blackbird, everyone wants to try it. The benefit of hanging on a college campus is that many people can see camping hammocks and their benefits over tents. Proselytize!
    Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith (Hebrews 12:2)

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    There are a few small stretches of the AT where hammocks are not allowed; all in State Parks. Otherwise, it's free hanging!
    I was not aware of this what parts? In Shenandoah you have to stay at/in or around the shelters right?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    I was not aware of this what parts? In Shenandoah you have to stay at/in or around the shelters right?
    The Smokies are the biggest stretch. Although they technically don't forbid hammocks, just sleeping outside in general. Get off the AT in the Smokies and it's a totally different park.

Then there is Grayson Highlands State Park by Mt. Rogers in VA. There are also a couple of campgrounds in CT (I think, memory is a fickle thing) that don't allow hammocks. I believe there are two or three other sites that specifically mention hammocks, but the ones above are the only ones that ever impacted me when I was hiking. The Grayson Highlands area is very easily bypassed by following a blue (formerly white) blazed path; cuts a few miles.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts