Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB BM TQ, HG UQ

First night off the ground!!

I had a 4 day trip planned this weekend, in Kawartha Highlands Provincial Park in Ontario (I live nearby), that got shortened to 2 days (travelled my originally planned route, just in 2 days instead of 4) due to work and weather.

Main purpose of the trip was to finally ditch the tent and camp in my hammock. I ordered an UQ in the spring for my first trip this year but sadly it didn't arrive in time. My second trip this year was with my daughter, so we tented.

Paddled about 25 km, and 15 km on portage trails (double carrying) from Cold Lake access down to Stoplog Lake on day 1, and then from Stoplog up to Compass Lake on day 2 where I partially setup camp but then wasn't feeling the best and weather calling for cold rain all night and next day. Winds were also very strong. I was only 3 h from the access point so messaged my wife to say I was coming out early. After a bit of an ordeal getting from Compas to Loucks lake trying to skip the 500m portage around low water (much cursing and many freshly painted rocks) I then comfortably rode the tail wind across Loucks and Long Lake, and got picked up at Long Lake Lodge.

I'm glad I got out, and happy with decision to cut the trip short. But just the one night in my hammock definitely didn't scratch the itch. Think I'll be sleeping in my backyard a few nights this fall .

KHPP is beautiful, rugged rocky secluded lakes and wonderful fall colours. Some tough, steep portages that kinda kicked my butt. All my previous tripping has been in Algonquin, but after this trip I'll surely be back to Kawartha Highlands...it is pretty much in my backyard.

Setup: DIY hammock, HG 10°F incubator UQ, JrB 20°F big meadows TQ and a small crappy tarp from an Amazon special kit.

Cheers,
    Jim

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JimLafleur; 10-08-2023 at 10:07.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    You absolutely have to go back there - so beautiful.

Your backyard practice will serve you well in understanding the limits of your gear. Many use an inexpensive Min/Max thermometer to let them know the lowest temperature reached at night. That way, they can see the limit of their insulation. For example, I've found out that if I have a 20° UQ, I start to "feel it" when the temperature drops below 30°. An Underquilt Protector (UQP) will give you a few more degrees of insulation and help a lot if it gets windy. Or, you could use a larger tarp. The UQP makes less of an impact on the gear volume/weight. In addition to the UQP and larger Tarp, there is also the Hammock "Sock" that essentially turns your hammock into a suspended single-wall tent (you still need a tarp).
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Beautiful photos and country. A friend in Toronto is proposing we do a similar trip up there next summer, you have me convinced!

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Trail Winder
    Pretty pictures! Thanks for sharing.

And yes - hammocking is better, by far, than ground dwelling.

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Awesome trip!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    That looks fabulous! thanks for sharing your pictures.
    I enjoyed camping in my hammock so much that I got rid of my bed and hang full time in my bedroom, now.

Charlotte

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Diamondback
    Suspension
    Becket or whoopie
    Love the photos and glad there's another new hammock-er now enlightened by swinging bliss in the wilderness!

Looks like a blast, I like the paddle used to make the tarp in porch mode. Did you keep good and warm in your hammock?

Images
    Welcome aloft Jim. You took some very nice shots. KHPP is a park I'd like to explore more.

Cheers,
    q

So beatiful! Yes, hammocking is absolutely great!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast