Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Keeping a UCR in tension - would this work?

I was wondering about how to keep tension on a UCR and had this thought. What do you guys think?

I've seen suggestions of using a piece of shock cord but thought this might be simpler. What if you slid some rubber surgical tubing over the UCR, and glued part of it to the outer part of the UCR. Once stretched along the inner part of the UCR you could use something like a clothes peg to keep the tubing stretched (and the UCR in tension). You could probably sew the tubing to the UCR outer part if glue didn't adhere.

Would this work? Would squeezing the tubing to the UCR weaken the line too much? I'm guessing only a smallish amount of squeezing force would be needed.

A cross section would look something like this:

======================== <--- Surgical tubing
    --------------------- <--- UCR outer part
    --------------------------------------------- <--- UCR inner part
    ---------------------
    ========================

I'd try it but don't have suitable line. Any thoughts?

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images

Klemheist

Quote Originally Posted by thud View Post
    I was wondering about how to keep tension on a UCR and had this thought. What do you guys think?

I've seen suggestions of using a piece of shock cord but thought this might be simpler. What if you slid some rubber surgical tubing over the UCR, and glued part of it to the outer part of the UCR. Once stretched along the inner part of the UCR you could use something like a clothes peg to keep the tubing stretched (and the UCR in tension). You could probably sew the tubing to the UCR outer part if glue didn't adhere.

Would this work? Would squeezing the tubing to the UCR weaken the line too much? I'm guessing only a smallish amount of squeezing force would be needed.

A cross section would look something like this:

======================== <--- Surgical tubing
    --------------------- <--- UCR outer part
    --------------------------------------------- <--- UCR inner part
    ---------------------
    ========================

I'd try it but don't have suitable line. Any thoughts?
    Try using a Klemheist to maintain tension on the UCR tail -
    Last edited by Running Feather; 04-17-2010 at 09:30.
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

RF: your link to the webshot didn't work for me. "they (didn't) work"

But I found this http://www.animatedknots.com/klemheist/index.php

Looks like a simple and effective solution
    "Hanging in the balance of a perfect finished plan"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0
    Tarp
    Zpack's H. Tarp
    Insulation
    Summer Crowsnest
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    The Klemheist will clearly work, the thing I wouldn't care for is that is requires an extra few inches towards the tree. I like the idea of pinching the end of the bury with either something rubbery, or springy metal. But I just had another idea, perhaps a clothes pin would work. I'm planning a short Spring hike with my son, soon, I plan to try out several different things to see how they work.
    "Every minute outside ... is a good minute!" -> Calvin & Hobbes, 8/1/1993

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    On my UCRs the tail end of the constrictor part has a small loop that a prussic loop runs through that is attached back to the main part of the line that attaches to the hammock. Once I adjust the constrictor part to the proper position and milk the bury to lock it, I just have to ensure to pull the prussic loop to apply tension to the tail end of the constrictor. It works great.

Cheers

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by amac View Post
    The Klemheist will clearly work, the thing I wouldn't care for is that is requires an extra few inches towards the tree. I like the idea of pinching the end of the bury with either something rubbery, or springy metal. But I just had another idea, perhaps a clothes pin would work. I'm planning a short Spring hike with my son, soon, I plan to try out several different things to see how they work.
    I think we mean the same thing by "clothes peg" and "clothes pin". I was thinking the kind that is one piece of plastic, possible cut to be smaller. I had thought of directly pinching the outer part of the UCR but I was concerned that might weaken it or cause it to fray over time. Also the rubber would have more grip and provide a bit of tension.

It seems a lot of people are wary of using UCRs over Whoopies because both ends are not under tension. I can see how the Klemheist would work, it might not be as grippy when tightened nor slide as easily when you want it to, but I'm only guessing until I try both. Now to order some line...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0
    Tarp
    Zpack's H. Tarp
    Insulation
    Summer Crowsnest
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Thud, yea, the clothes pin vs. peg is probably just a geographical language difference thing. What I'm thinking is we could use the peg/pin directly on the free end bury of the UCR. All we need is a little tension on that end to ensure the whole bury tightens up. BTW, I haven't had a problem with my Amsteel UCR that doesn't have anything on the free end, even in an all night rain.

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images

Length

The Klemheist pictured is rather big. They can be 2" in length if desired. My hammock ends are never so close to the tree that a few inches makes a difference anyway.
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Thud, yea, the clothes pin vs. peg is probably just a geographical language difference thing. What I'm thinking is we could use the peg/pin directly on the free end bury of the UCR. All we need is a little tension on that end to ensure the whole bury tightens up. BTW, I haven't had a problem with my Amsteel UCR that doesn't have anything on the free end, even in an all night rain.
    That's interesting that you have no problems using regular UCR. I was wondering about all the caution and why people appear to be choosing whoopies over UCR when UCR approaches half the weight and bulk for the same span.

Are you using the 12-strand 1/8inch amsteel or the 8-strand 7/64inch?

@Running Feather, thanks for the tip about the size of the Klemheist. I'll give the rubber trick a go and compare the two.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0
    Tarp
    Zpack's H. Tarp
    Insulation
    Summer Crowsnest
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by thud View Post
    Are you using the 12-strand 1/8inch amsteel or the 8-strand 7/64inch?
    I'm using 7/64 Amsteel.

I can somewhat understand the concerns, if the bury isn't set correctly, it will slip every time. Setting correctly is easy, though...squeeze tension into the whole length of the bury.

That said, and even that I've never had my UCR slip, I would still like to have that bit of insurance of something mechanically squeezing the free end of the bury. I'm going to try variations on the "clothes pin" suggestion soon. I'm also considering a rubbery ring fitted around the free end (small diameter rubber tubing may work).
    Last edited by amac; 04-19-2010 at 04:41.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast