Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies

When is enough stuff on a hammock enough? I'm nuts! lol

M10.jpg

When is enough enough when it comes to the doodads on your DIY hammock?
    How does it go from something simple like "Hey, this Eno is comfortable but this Half moon Hammock even more so... and then a Hennesy and then the Clark's and then... wait, I have a sewing machine and who is this Ripstop by the Roll and what the heck is a Dutchware?" Why did none of you warn me about the rabbit hole I was falling into?

So as you get that first DIY kit and realize you knock that out in an evening. Hmm. Not bad, need to brush up on my sewing skills...and then the 'it's so easy what else can I do' fever kicks in.

My current one (in the picture) has end caps that I can stuff things into with velcro and snap enclosures. Full top cover, full mosquito net that fold back into the ends. Add in the ridgeline, the ridgeline bag, a mini-hammock at the end that holds anything from a top quilt to jacket, etc. Side tie-outs with some nice elastic, and a pair of adjustable elastic straps along the edges to keep it from fluttering (Forgot the name). I'm looking to add a sort of a mesh clip on for the ridgeline that would clip or velcro to either side around the head for when you are trying to read and the sun is blasting down on ya and maybe an integrated/snap/velcro spot to put a small bag. There is a lot of labor in these things once you reach that point (especially getting all the zippers to line up and be even. That's a lot more work than it looks!) and yet it's rewarding once it's done. This has been my go-to hammock for the last 3 years and stays either on the bike or in the X-terra pretty much year round. Toss in the top/under quilt and a nice soft inflatable pillow and you are set!

So now I have new fabric to make a really nice soft double-layer hammock and this one is to be used more for hot-tent hammock camping (One Tigris Tiegman which is my roomy go-to and the Pomoly version which I will probably never use again). A ridgeline, a ridgeline bag, the side elastic and probably the foot hammock are givens since they work so well in my main one. What else would one add to it?
    _____
    Forest Fires cause Smoky Bears

"For the ultimate light weight rig just sleep on the ground in the clothes you are wearing!"

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon or DIY Robic XL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & CDT TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    We didn't warn you because we were falling deeper ourselves.

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Your hammock is like you bike...Doo-Dad City! Makes it cool. And Fun.
    Whoooooo Buddy))))
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Very nice looking hammock! That's a lot of accessories you have there! You have a lot going on there, looks very impressive and inspiring. I like that foot hammock idea. I usually hang my clothes and stuff on the ridgeline but that is a much better idea to use a foot hammock for that gear and make good use of that unused space. I shall be making one of those too, don't mind if I do! I like the the zippered bug net. What a challenge, I need to consider doing that myself too. Yeah, this is a fun hobby for sure. I just got in a bunch of fabric myself and will be on my second hammock, tarp, and some heavier quilts soon. I did not consider the bug net, but maybe I should pause for a moment and give it more thought and and get some zippers. Yeah, this is a rabbit hole for sure. I'm pretty much the seamstress of the house now and fixing up everything, I made a cool dog tent that he carries himself, and I now even seem to be collecting and restoring vintage sewing machines, yeah where does it end??

Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeFan View Post
    We didn't warn you because we were falling deeper ourselves.
    I can't help feeling there is a made-for-TV movie in there somewhere. lol
    _____

"For the ultimate light weight rig just sleep on the ground in the clothes you are wearing!"

Hammock
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    OMG... THE Shug? Now I feel honored as your videos have a lot to do with how I shifted around from normal bought hammocks to the DIY and cottage industry! And yeah, the bike maybe has a feature or twenty that didn't come with it. lol
    _____

Hammock
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by mattnin View Post
    That's a lot of accessories you have there! I like that foot hammock idea. I usually hang my clothes and stuff on the ridgeline but that is a much better idea to use a foot hammock for that gear and make good use of that unused space. I shall be making one of those too, don't mind if I do! I like the the zippered bug net. What a challenge, I need to consider doing that myself too. Yeah, this is a fun hobby for sure. I just got in a bunch of fabric myself and will be on my second hammock, tarp, and some heavier quilts soon. I did not consider the bug net, but maybe I should pause for a moment and give it more thought and and get some zippers. Yeah, this is a rabbit hole for sure. yeah where does it end??
    Thanks! And for all it has the extras it's not that much heavier than a normal one since I use mostly lightweight fabrics and titanium hardware. If you do decide to try the bugnet the key is to find a place to set up the hammock once you have the main part sewn, then be able to spread it out with it's natural sag. Once you do? Expect to spend half a day pinning, undoing it, re-pinning and so forth with the bugnet draped over the ridgeline. Then comes the trimming of it (which measure five times, cut once is the mantra) and eventually sewing it in while keeping it pinned. They tend to shift around and you'll find yourself likely undoing at least a few lines of stitches when you get to the end and wonder where that extra 3" of netting came from. It's tedious, it's frustrating, but once you have it right it's downright rewarding! Then you have to go back and do the same with the fidgety ultra-slippery top cover... Worth it though. It's nice to have a 4-season bug-free place to crash nearly any place, any time.
    _____

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Trail Winder
    When people find out that I can sew, they often seem impressed or even excited. They consider this skill to be a gift. But I always try to warn them that this skill has a dark side. It is both a blessing and a curse.

It is a blessing to be able to alter clothing and gear to fit my individual needs. But it is a curse because NOTHING off the shelf will ever be satisfactory again. Why settle when it can be customized? I now have a project list a mile long: insert pockets here, add padding to straps there, add loops to a mesh bag to hang it from the ridgeline, put a snap on the hem, sew tabi socks to wear with my hiking sandals, …. And then my husband asks me to stitch dash covers for his Jeep…

It never ends.

I am just sorry my warning did not reach you earlier. But word to the wise: keep your skills a secret and guard that secret like they guard the recipe for Coke. Otherwise, you will end up with a bunch of hammockers, hikers, bikers, and other outdoor enthusiasts beating a trail to your door for alterations and even bespoke items. Haha!

Hammock
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    Sadly you are not all wrong! Worse is when friends find out you are a photographer, have good gear, multiple flashes, etc. Suddenly you are invited to everything with the purpose of providing free photos after hours of editing. Funny how those invitations stop when you leave your camera gear at home.

I'm with you on the DIY part. From the bike to the X-terra, the camping gear to the riding gear, it seems the need to tweak and tune evolves as often as the seasons.
    _____

Sewed my first hammock a few days ago. I am already falling down, down, down the rabbit hole. Can't stop thinking about what it needs, what to do next, and when I can justify starting over again with a new one that I do better (I have yet, of course, to even take this one out camping)...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast