Speer DIy hammock kit

I am considering purchasing the Speer diy hammock kit... the whole shibang hammock, bug net, and tarp. Has anyone bought this kit and put it together???? How easy is it for someone who has never touched a sewing machine to complete this kit, I have access to someone who does a lot of custom clothing and their sewing machine for advice but I was wondering if anyone had any tips for this set.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Do the hammock first. Then the bug net followed by the tarp. That is the progression easiest to hardest. My We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! vid series might be helpful as you are a thread injector newbie. The Speer products are very popular in this community. I can't use them because of mobility issues but a great many people do.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    As of tonight, I've made 4 hammocks, 3 overcovers, 1 underquilt, 1 top quilt, and a speer-style tarp. All with no instruction or prior experience.

My tarp seam is far from straight, but it works well anyway.

Ramblinrev's videos were a big help... Go for it, you won't be disappointed.

The only thing I would do first is review these two sites: http://tothewoods.net and http://imrisk.com

The only difference between my hammocks and Ed's instructions is I don't tie knots in the ends, I whip the ends. Lots of info on whipping in this forum... it's easy...

Oh, and instead of tying to the tree, I use cinch buckles from Arrowhead equipment...

Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    Speer
    Insulation
    Ray Jardine quilt
    Suspension
    Rings & Straps
    I recently made a Speer hammock from their kit. It is very easy. The sewing part is just a bunch of straight stitches. The time consuming part (for me) was folding and pinning all of the seams prior to stitching, especially the flat felled center seam on the tarp.

The instructions are available on their web site but there were a couple of places where the book (included with the kit) has a better description or a better picture.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hammocks are cake to make. The hardest part is convincing yourself to do it. Tarps can be a little harder just b/c the fabric is so slippery, but it's doable. I think RamblinRev's order is spot on.

Remember...it's cloth carpentry. It only has to work, not look perfect. Your stitches will get straighter with time, so for now just focus on function and don't beat yourself up over some puckered fabric. Mine still turn out that way sometimes and I've made lots of projects.

If someone's critiquing the stitches on your gear, do you really want to hike with them anyway?
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY cinched end
    Tarp
    not sure yet
    Insulation
    So far thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Toggle

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Hammocks are cake to make. The hardest part is convincing yourself to do it. Tarps can be a little harder just b/c the fabric is so slippery, but it's doable. I think RamblinRev's order is spot on.

Remember...it's cloth carpentry. It only has to work, not look perfect. Your stitches will get straighter with time, so for now just focus on function and don't beat yourself up over some puckered fabric. Mine still turn out that way sometimes and I've made lots of projects.

If someone's critiquing the stitches on your gear, do you really want to hike with them anyway?
    Haha I agree!
    "Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth." - Jules Verne

• + New Posts