Hammock
    Blue Bean by Shug,Clark Tropical
    Tarp
    Shug Over,WBSF
    Insulation
    Crowsnest&Burrow
    Suspension
    Once
    I recall you having problems with your hands in the past Dave.
    "I like grits,because they have no bones" Chet Atkins

Hammock
    Dutch chameleon
    Tarp
    Hg dcf 12 winter
    Insulation
    Cro 20 set
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by Twistytee View Post
    Thank you Hickery and Slowhike for the regular planning info, weather intel, and safety updates. I guess the beauty of car camping versus winter backpacking is the ability to bring redundancies and bail if needed. I feel like a vagabond with all I’ve packed for this hang but still looking forward to some snow, the warm fire, and a quick hike or two.
    you know winter camping like this harder then normal camping just to stay safe
    Not all those who wander are lost

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    My conclusions? I might bail.
    I'm on the fence as well. I take a massive amount of blood thinners and get cold easily.

I have the gear but if I need to bail I have a camper van and a nice propane heater. I'm coming even if I have to leave on Saturday.
    Got time to breath, you got time for music - Brisco Darlin

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelPlayer View Post
    I'm on the fence as well. I take a massive amount of blood thinners and get cold easily.

I have the gear but if I need to bail I have a camper van and a nice propane heater. I'm coming even if I have to leave on Saturday.
    this is my plan too. Friday will be the test, if I do fine and stay warm during the day/night I’ll stick it out. Otherwise I have the option to exit on Sat. I don’t have prevailing health concerns but easy to get frostbite in those temps if you can’t stay warm and out of the wind.

Hammock
    HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Hickery's Favorite
    Insulation
    UQ: HG 20F
    Suspension
    Turtle Ties
    Quote Originally Posted by Need2noCallahan View Post
    I traveled into the future and took pics of this upcoming weekend at Grayson. Unfortunately I lost most of them on the trip back, all but this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    For those that are wondering. That's ME in picture after all of the holiday meals this year!

I don't remember you taking that shot of me but I guess that makes sense since I didn't travel into the future with you so I haven't been there yet....but...I'm in the pic so I guess I WAS there but haven't been there yet? (need to brush up on my space/time continuum theories...)

Hammock
    Blue Bean by Shug,Clark Tropical
    Tarp
    Shug Over,WBSF
    Insulation
    Crowsnest&Burrow
    Suspension
    Once
    Sounds like you're hypothermic already
    "I like grits,because they have no bones" Chet Atkins

Hammock
    DIY
    Images

Bridge Pod Bivy test at minus 7° F.

Here are the pics I promised.
    P1040644.jpg
    The bivy section covers my head and attaches to the insulated Bridge Pod with zippers. Here it is shown with the top vent open. I tested it closed last night. The center of the bivy is pulled up to the ridge line to make entry and exit easier. It can be raised or lowered from inside, and I sleep with the white Zorb fabric just a few inches above my face.

P1040646.jpg
    It's small - not for claustrophobes. To get in or out, the side of the gray Bridge Pod would be unzipped and folded back.

P1040643.jpg
    When I wake up, I unzip three sides and fold the bivy back over the head end of the hammock to brush off ice or let liquid condensation evaporate. I find I can do that while still in the hammock. The white Zorb layer absorbs some condensing water and passes vapor through, so it doesn't rain or snow on my face.

P1040642.jpg
    Not a whole lot of frost on the bivy this morning. Some fell off outside the hammock. One night last week the outside temp was 15° F. and it was 25° F. inside, and there was a lot of frost. The wind speed can make a big difference in heat transfer.

Many thanks to Shug for inspiration!

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MLHolland View Post
    Here's a link to the NOAA forecast dialed into the campground. That high of 6 on Saturday is definitely worrisome, especially with 10-15mph sustained winds. We received about 8" of snow yesterday and the forecast is calling for somewhere between a dusting and 1-3" on Friday. I know y'all will have vehicles there for emergency heat if needed, but be smart about making the decision to come to the hang this weekend.

Also, if you prefer using AccuWeather, WUnderground or Weather.com for a longer forecast range than the NOAA site, use Whitetop as the location instead of Mouth of Wilson for more accurate temps as it is at a similar elevation.

I'm working the weekend, so I'll be checking in on y'all from time to time, but don't expect any long conversations outdoors.
    Bringing Ranger Holland's post back up.
    She made this post on Tuesday, so the 8" of snow would have been Monday. I doubt there's been much melting.

She said, "The forecast is calling for somewhere between a dusting and 1-3" on Friday."
    I'm sure GHSP will be plowing the road, but there will still be a layer of packed snow/ ice on the roads.
    I'm thinking there is about 1000' elevation gain between the Ranger station and the campground so it's a considerable incline, going up and coming back down.

I have been there a number of times in years past were there was clear difference in the snow/ ice between the campground and the ranger's station. It can be dicey.

Maybe Ranger Holland can chime in with an update on road conditions in the park and Hwy 58, leading into the park.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Quote Originally Posted by SteelPlayer View Post
    I have a light weight front wheel drive van. I'm not so concerned about the cold as I am the road conditions getting in and most importantly getting out in an emergency. Driving with snow and icy conditions can get dicey. Can someone enlighten me on what to expect as far as road conditions outside the park? Does anyone have a preference coming from Greensboro as far as road conditions Hwy 58 vs. Hwy 16 coming from Greensboro?
    VDoT was able to get 58 fairly clear before the temps dropped yesterday, so getting to the park shouldn't be an issue. The park road has ice patches up to Sugarlands Overlook but between there and Massie Gap is frozen slush and we actually have the road above the office closed today. Thursday is supposed to warm up to nearly 40 and we're hoping that the salt VDoT put down will thaw some of the ice by mid day so we can start working on those areas. The good thing is that the section that still is still icy doesn't have the steep dropoffs like the hill just before Sugarlands Overlook so isn't nearly as dangerous. I'll keep posting updates as I can.

Also, the porta-jon was delivered yesterday before everything froze and Joe has been working to make sure the campground road and parking areas are clear for y'all.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Have fun but take the cold extremes serious.
    Be aware of the signs of hypothermia and frostbite.

Not trying to scare anyone away from a challenge, just want everyone to be smart about these temps and wind.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts
  • Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast