Thread: newbie question

newbie question

New to the hammock world - but excited about having my own...
    My situation is that I have 2 4x4 posts, cemented into the ground (36") but they are about 20' apart. (Part of corner of an existing fence - hard to explain without pictures...). I realize this isn't ideal for hanging a hammock - but was wondering if it would work. I do plan to use I-bolts and chain (about 3-4' for each chain on either end of the Mayan style hammock I was given) but am concerned about it holding my "healthy-sized" frame over time. I welcome any thoughts/concerns/ideas on if the situation is do-able and/or whether I should be doing something different.

Thanks - glad to find someplace so specific to my question!
    (...and there is other interesting reading here too...)

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    adilhoxha, welcome to HF.
    you can use supports that far apart by using a rope that's bigger & stronger than what most people would take back packing, but you would need attachment points that are more than 36" tall... especially for that distance.
    if the posts were set deep enough before they were cemented & there was no concern about the ground being soft when wet & the force of the hammock being able to move them, you may be able to bolt a 4x4 to the back side of each post to give you the extra height needed.
    ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Actually, the posts are 6' above the ground - so if I go up 4 or 5 feet I should be okay? After reading more on the site I've realized permanent hammocks aren't really the talk here - but I appreciate any of your expertise that would apply to my situation. Is there any sort of "rule-of-thumb" for distance between posts vs. height? (Mine being non-portable - I can even go with chain to affix the hammock to the posts - so that isn't a worry...)

Thanks again...you've got me thinking about spending an overnight sleeping in my hammock sometime - never would have thought of that otherwise

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    If you're nervous about it, just attach a cross brace between the tops of the two posts. I don't know the terminology, but the brackets used for decks would be good as they are open and you drive nails/screws through holes to secure the lumber. In this case, you wouldn't need them secured because the only forces on the brace would be horizontal. Just take your cross brace with you when you're done. No worries

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    The posts will probably hold unless your ground is real loose soil or heavily saturated with water. You'll also need to anchor to the posts as high as possible or the sag may put your butt on the ground. Using chain should eliminate any stretch of the suspension but the hammock can still stretch some and put you closer to the ground.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    if you find you need every bit of the height the 6' posts give, you could put heavy eye bolts on the back side of the posts (away from the hammock).
    then have your hammock support resting on top of the posts.

and talking about permanent hammocks is just fine & dandy here.
    the main focus is on camping (particularly backpacking) but as far as i know, all hammock discussion is welcome here<g>.

a lot of the back packers will try to spend nights out in their yard before trusting unfamiliar equipment out on the trail... especially cold weather gear. it's a wise thing to do ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts