Long time camper new to hammocks

Just posting to say hey. I've been camping for a while and have dabbled with hammocks. I have recently decided to see if I prefer them over tents seeing that as I get older crawling into and out of a tent is getting less fun. I received a ENO Jungle Hammock System today that I got new from REI for a price that was worth trying it out. I also ordered a DutchWare Chameleon that I am looking forward to trying out. I hope to learn a thing or two here and also share a thing or two as I figure things out.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps
    Welcome to the forums. I joined not too long ago for similar reasons. Been backpacking since a kid but wanted to lighten my load and extend comfort by getting off the ground. I can’t say my overall sleep kit is much lighter than my ground set-up, but it’s far more comfortable. And if you like to tinker and tweak with limitless suspension/hammock/tarp/quilt options then you’ve come to the right place. I haven’t tried the chameleon but it’s super popular and I suspect you’ll enjoy it a lot. Have fun!

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    SteveY, welcome to the fun.
    You might be much more comfortable in a gathered end hammock minimum size 11x5
    Since you already have an ENO, you might like 11xfive and half feet wide.
    You will need insulation, pads, underquilt , or both, along with a top quilt.
    Browse Hammock Forums, watch Shug’s YouTube video series, How to hang a hammock, How to pitch your tarp, how to use pads, how to use under quilts, etc.
    Come to a group hammock hang or two, to get a crash course in hammocks. There you will see all kinds of hammocks, suspensions, tarps and insulation. Be prepared to drink coffee and hear mostly true stories around campfire

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Enjoy and embrace the hammock quest Steve......
    Whooooooo Buddy))))
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    SteveY, welcome to the fun.
    You might be much more comfortable in a gathered end hammock minimum size 11x5
    Since you already have an ENO, you might like 11xfive and half feet wide.
    You will need insulation, pads, underquilt , or both, along with a top quilt.
    Browse Hammock Forums, watch Shug’s YouTube video series, How to hang a hammock, How to pitch your tarp, how to use pads, how to use under quilts, etc.
    Come to a group hammock hang or two, to get a crash course in hammocks. There you will see all kinds of hammocks, suspensions, tarps and insulation. Be prepared to drink coffee and hear mostly true stories around campfire
    Thank you for the input. I have a 11 foot wide on the way, the spousal unit will us the ENO the couple times a year that she joins me. I hung in the yard yesterday and was warm on a 30 degree day with the quilts I ave been using on my tent trips.

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Enjoy and embrace the hammock quest Steve......
    Whooooooo Buddy))))
    Shug

Thanks Shug. I’ve learned a thing or two from your videos, now its time to figure out what works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Twistytee View Post
    Welcome to the forums. I joined not too long ago for similar reasons. Been backpacking since a kid but wanted to lighten my load and extend comfort by getting off the ground. I can’t say my overall sleep kit is much lighter than my ground set-up, but it’s far more comfortable. And if you like to tinker and tweak with limitless suspension/hammock/tarp/quilt options then you’ve come to the right place. I haven’t tried the chameleon but it’s super popular and I suspect you’ll enjoy it a lot. Have fun!

I figure the kit will take about the same room as the tent in the saddle bag, I’m hoping for a little more comfort. Now is the time to try a thing or two to get it all figured out before the next riding season.

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    Enjoy it! I was a long-time camper when I switched to hammocks back in 2005. Best move I ever made.
    Jacks R Better, makers of the of the Original Under Quilt and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock.
    www.jacksrbetter.com
    Facebook: JacksRBetterQuilts
    Intstagram: Jacks_R_Better_Quilts

Thank you for the welcome. I just ordered one of the collaboration chameleon zip on under quilts from Dutch. I’m looking forward to getting outside with it.

• + New Posts