Hammock
    WB Eldorado, Lightweight Double
    Tarp
    WB Minifly
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Becket
    Warbonnet offers a Lightweight Double version of the Blackbird XLT and Eldorado. The Lightweight Double inner layer is 15D vs. 40D for the Heavyweight Double. I have a Eldorado Lightweight Double and like it. I occasionally use a Reflectix Insulation pad in cold weather conditions. The Lightweight Double is supple and probably provides more resistance to wind penetration over a single 40D layer hammock.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet flies
    Insulation
    UQ WB Wookie
    Suspension
    web buckles
    I have both in the blackbird xlc. Personally if I had to choose one, I would keep the sl. I find it a hair more comfortable, lighter (i backpack a lot) and a little easier to put up. With that being said, if I weren't backpacking, I would opt for the dl. I feel its a little more durable and if you plan on sleeping with mosquitoes with no underquilt, definetely go dl. The warbonnet blackbird is a fantastic hammock, either way you go. You will love it.

I opted for the Blackbird XLC in single layer, and a wookie 0F underquilt. I immediately started kicking myself for not doing the lightweight double layer, but it should be great.
    I was thinking that for warmer mosquito weather I could use the XLC underquilt protector without the quilt.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    Images
    I have double layer and single layer Ridgerunners. I don’t use a pad but I prefer the firmness of the double layer Ridgerunner.

i find that having a double walled bridge hammock adds versatility, especially if you need to go to ground.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I started mostly with DL's because I thought I'd occasionally have to go-to-ground. But if I were on the ground, my pad would be on a ground sheet and under the hammock body; I wouldn't need a DL for that. And I've only gone-to-ground once, and that just was a demo to show a friend how I'd do it.

Recently, I've been switching over to SL's for adventures. The difference is like choosing between a firm, or not so firm, mattress. The SL has a little less weight and bulk.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 05-11-2024 at 17:24.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Not to hijack this post but ... do you all really think the double layer is going to prevent skeeters from bitin? That hasn't been my experience. I've been bitten through my double layer warbonnet ridgerunner. Instead, I recommend soaking your hammock in permethrin made for use with fabric (available from Duration or from Sawyer). That solves the problem WAY better than carrying around another hammock's worth of weight. YMMV.
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps
    While consensus on this thread seems to lean to DL, I’m on the single layer bandwagon. Lighter weight, easier to pack and you can still get a firm lay with something like the MTN 1.7 fabric. Also, agree with iceman that using permethrin or use of a lightweight 3/4 UQ eliminate the issues with bites from below during heavy bug season.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Wingspan 12'
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Like others, I started with a single layer hammock and wasn't that happy with it. I don't think the problem was the single layer though, it was the fabric. There is no reason you can't get a fabric that is plenty tough for a single layer to do support a person fully. When I went to order my last hammock from Dream Hammock I asked for fabric samples. At least in their example, the fabrics they had that would work as a single layer are pretty rough. That 1.8 Ariwave for example, it's kind of like a thin denim, think like laying on a pair of jeans. I wouldn't want that. The 1.7oz MTN is much better, that would be my choice for a single layer hammock.

I didn't do that. I went with a double layer hammock, 2.2oz Hex70 outer, and 1.6oz HyperD inside. I think my idea at the time was the 2.2oz Hex70 is super durable, and the 1.6oz HyperD is like silk, I got the best of both worlds. I would like to try a single layer 1.7oz MTN though. Some other things to consider. A double layer can be more wind resistant. That can be a double edge sword though, since if you are somewhere hot, that means they won't draft as good.

It's all a trade off. Other than weight, I don't see much of a disadvantage to a double layer. With how light a gathered end hammock is already, I'm not sure it's worth the bother. There's other ways to save those 4 ounces or whatever they are. I don't like stretch, and the 2.2oz Hex70/1.6oz HyperD combo is rock solid. Even my straps are the heavy duty ones because the standard ones stretch too much.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepplin
    Suspension
    Dutchware Spider
    I have both, like both, but prefer the extra stretch and softer feel of a SL. I also recommend making sure your hammock is adequate width for your build, impacts comfort just as much imo.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12