Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Asymmetrical cut for hammocks?

Hi guys,

I am about to start my 2nd DIY project next week. I have already ordered all the materials and they are on their way. I am planning a double layer 70D GE hammock, with a sleeping-mat-slide-in-opening.

Since a week I have been gathering technical information,, and today I came across the "asymmetrical cut" of hammocks.

Has anybody heared of that? How do you cut your base layer material asymmetrical? I have no idea. Can somebody help me out? It sounds like something I would want. I want the best lay possible.

Thanks,

Yannick

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    11' WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    Beckett and EVOs
    I have no experience with it, but there was a thread about a DIY Blackbird which had some plans which may help you:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...oughts-(Plans)

Thank you!

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    The bugnet will determine asym/sym. Without a bugnet, the hammock is symmetrical. Dutch has video about the bugnet shapes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsrT0CbsfAs&t=11s

ok, thanks This was confusing.

So it's just about the bugnet shape, that allows more space for a foot box, and so forth. Thanks.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
    ok, thanks This was confusing.

So it's just about the bugnet shape, that allows more space for a foot box, and so forth. Thanks.
    This is the bug net off of my Dutchware Chameleon. You can see the shape...

At 3:07 in this video you can see my flip the burnet on my Warbonnet XLC to make it a right to left lay. The hammock is normal shape. The burnet created the asylum and footbox.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Thanks Shug,

For lack of skills, I will just hang the finished hammock up, let my friend lay in it, throw the large bugnet fabric over the RL and chalk mark where the bugnet touches the hammock fabric. Thats where I will sew it to the hammock.

That shouuld do it for my first DIY hammock, I think.
    Last edited by Yannick; 03-30-2024 at 08:12.

Hi Shug,

I wantched one of your videos about your Blackbird X.LC, where you show the exact shape and features in your garage.

The overall idea is great to let the cut of the bugnet create all those neat features. However it always involves the tieouts, that have to be strapped to the groud or a low hanging branch. I have never used these tieouts until today, becaise I mostly go on night fishing trips with my hammock, and I avoid having ropes or elastic bands tied to the ground. Inevitably you will trip over them and damage something, when you are active around your camp in the middle of the night.

Thanks

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hi Shug,

I wantched one of your videos about your Blackbird X.LC, where you show the exact shape and features in your garage.

The overall idea is great to let the cut of the bugnet create all those neat features. However it always involves the tieouts, that have to be strapped to the groud or a low hanging branch. I have never used these tieouts until today, becaise I mostly go on night fishing trips with my hammock, and I avoid having ropes or elastic bands tied to the ground. Inevitably you will trip over them and damage something, when you are active around your camp in the middle of the night.

Thanks
    I only ever tie out the bug net over my head but really only at night when I crawl in to sleep. But yes, tie outs can be somewhat inconvenient at times.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Hi Shug,

Thanks
    I like the bugnet style on the Warbonnet BB XLC and Eldorado (doesn't have the shelf) that keeps it off your face but requires using the bugnet tieouts, at least on the head end. On my Chameleon with a more traditional bugnet design, I don't use the pullouts but the it's a bit more droopy and can be on your face.

If you have a tarp up, you're gonna have guylines to worry about. If I use the hammock tieouts, they usually go to the tarp stake. Just gotta be careful when getting in and out of the hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast