Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    One of these days I'm going to get a Tensa Trekking pole. Its not every trip that I would end up using it, but when you do man it opens up a lot more hanging spots for you.

Hammock
    HG 11 ft Circadian Pro
    Tarp
    HG 11 ft Journey
    Insulation
    UQ+TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing & Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeCD View Post
    Hi folks! I'm curious how you hang when your trees are less than ideally situated (too far apart) - do you climb the tree to get the straps high enough for that perfect 30-degree angle for your suspension? Do you tighten your suspension to a lower angle (20-degree, 15-degree, etc)?

I was playing with the Hammock Universe Hang Calculator to experiment with suspension lengths (do I need longer UCRs?) and realized that to keep a 30-degree suspension angle when the trees are more than 15-foot apart starts to get my straps pretty high up in the tree.

For example:
    If tree distance is 15', then suspension height for a 108" ridgeline (the usual for 11' hammock) is 70"
    If tree distance is 20' then suspension height goes up to 87" (just over 8-foot, I can probably just reach this standing on the ground)
    If tree distance is 25' then suspension height goes up to 105" (almost 9-foot, I'm gonna need a step-stool or something)
    If tree distance is 30' then suspension height goes up to 122" (just over 10 foot, at this point I either use less than 30-degree angle which dramatically increases tension on the UCRs, or I have to climb the tree)

So what do you do?
    I just push my suspension up as high as I can get it and call it good. My hang angle is way off in that situation, but I’m okay with it if the trees and my setup are okay with it. Not ideal, but I deal.
    “A man who carries a cat by the tail learns a lesson he can learn in no other way.” ~ Mark Twain

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123