Dream Hammock Wingspan 12'
    Tarp
    WB Superfly 12'
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0F
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle

What material tarp?

Hi everyone, I swear I've posted here in the past, but my post count was 0. Oh well. I ran the same setup for years since it worked so good. It was a Dream Hammock Raven 11'. I learned a lot with that. It's a great hammock, but I never once removed the bug nut, and the ends would sometimes not seal fully, so I had to use some tape underneath. I also found a symmetrical lay hammock is useless to me. I always do left lay, I don't know why, that's just how I lay down. I think I bought that hammock in 2016, maybe 2017, and I ran that up to 2022, and it's as good as new. I decided it was a good time to make a few small tweaks though. I'm pretty tall at 6'5", and I was curious about the 12' hammocks. It just so happened Dream Hammock had just come out with the Wingspan, and when I asked, they said they could do it in a 12'. The wingspan is no frills, the bug net is sewn on, it's directional lay. It's perfect for me. The 12' length is a little nicer, it's not world changing. I don't want to say it's a "flatter" lay, it's more shoulder width than anything, which I appreciate. If I was normal height/size, I would would not bother. So far 12' is unnoticeable as far as fitting in between trees or any other issues though.

Anyway, sorry for all that backstory. This thread is actually about my tarp. I've been running the same 11' Warbonnet superfly tarp all these years. I was going to eventually get a custom 12' tarp for the new hammock, but I keep forgetting about it since the 11' works so good. It's to the point now I'm not even going to bother. The 11' tarp covers right up to the buckles on each side of the hammock, I've yet to be in a rain storm that was an issue. I'm just going to buy another 11' tarp.

The question is what material is mine? I tried Warbonnet, but they couldn't seem to find my order, and I honestly have no clue. I'm so impressed by this tarp I want to buy the same exact thing. At the time I'm pretty sure they only offered 30D silnylon or 20D silpoly. I'm hoping someone can tell me which I have based on the pictures below. I guess I should ask though, is there any reason to consider the new 30d silpoly?

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    megasupermagnum, If the material feels slick, it's more likely SilPoly. I started with SilNylon because I read that it was a bit more rugged and where I adventure, there is no "... just get in the car and drive to the store. ..." So reliability was a priority. But over time I saw that I'm pretty gentle with my tarps. Also, one time I had to wrangle three very wet SilNylon tarps and now completely understand the phrase, "... SilNylon will absorb more water. ..." So I've been switching over to SilPoly. Light weight, minimum bulk, hardly water absorbent - what's not to like?

The last thing I'd buy is a $300+ Dynema tarp. There are reported downsides besides the cost. It is very bulky. It sounds like BB's hitting a metal roof when it rains (some call that a feature). It is not opaque so there's not as much privacy nor darkness during a full moon. I'm not saying they are bad; it's just that sometimes people represent UL gear as "just the same" as regular gear, only lighter and more expensive.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly 12'
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0F
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    It feels quite slick. It definitely does not absorb moisture whatsoever, just whatever droplets that stick to it. I'm not sure on the noise, it definitely makes sound in rain, although I wouldn't' call it bb on a metal roof. Now that I think of it, the sound in the wind is more similar to a cheap blue poly tarp than the softer noise from like my nylon hammock fabric.

So you think I have the silpoly tarp?

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    I'm just guessing based on your description, but I would say it's probably a silpoly tarp.

FWIW I have a 11ft WB Minifly silpoly tarp, and it's been absolutely stellar at doing everything I need a tarp to do. If/when the time comes, I will replace it with the exact same thing.

Hammock
    warbonnet ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY Dyneema
    Insulation
    warbonnet lynx
    Suspension
    dutch jewelery
    I would forget about what you have now, and go for silpoly. You will not be disappointed. You will not notice any difference. No way you could recognize it by the sound of the rain

Images
    Set your old tarp in a taught pitch, and thoroughly wet it down. If it sags it is almost certainly Nylon.

Polyester has far less stretch than Nylon.

Last edited by joe_guilbeau; 05-14-2024 at 21:11.

Another vote here for the silpoly. I have two and been in some major storms and was nice and dry. You'll love it. Also, I'd get the 12'. That little bit of extra coverage is nice for the peace of mind.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly 12'
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0F
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by mattnin View Post
    Another vote here for the silpoly. I have two and been in some major storms and was nice and dry. You'll love it. Also, I'd get the 12'. That little bit of extra coverage is nice for the peace of mind.
    I didn't even realize a 12' was an option, I thought they only had 11' and 13'. Sure enough 12' is an option, but it's non-stock so it could take a month to get it, which is ok with me. I'm pretty sure my old tarp is a silpoly, so I ordered a 12' silpoly.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    > so I ordered a 12' silpoly.

If a person had to use the tarp for a rain shelter (mine are usually used as a sun shade), I can't imagine they've ever said, "Gee, I wish I had a smaller tarp."
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post

If a person had to use the tarp for a rain shelter (mine are usually used as a sun shade), I can't imagine they've ever said, "Gee, I wish I had a smaller tarp."
    No wish needed: I already have that smaller tarp...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast