Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet flies
    Insulation
    UQ WB Wookie
    Suspension
    web buckles

Backpacking Eagle Rock Loop

Any backpackers out there that may be interested in backing the Eagle Rock Loop in S AR ?

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    I've no plans to do it any time this spring/summer. Perhaps in the fall. I've done it 3X. Once in a group. Once with a very experienced long distance back packer and once solo. I've also done the Buckeye/Caney Creek trails which are just west of ERL. No need to carry much water on these trails, as they follow creeks and rivers. Even the ABF (Athens-Big Fork) leg, hits a creek at the bottom of each mountain. Do NOT underestimate those mountains.
    Let me know if you have any questions about them.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet flies
    Insulation
    UQ WB Wookie
    Suspension
    web buckles
    ok thx thinking ill do erl memorial weekeng i know itll b a little warm but i just didnt get to do the amount of backpacking i wanted to this past fall spring

Hammock
    WB, DH, SLD
    Tarp
    ZPacks, Thunderfly
    Insulation
    EE, Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Spider 1.5/Beckett
    As advised earlier, don’t underestimate the Athens-Big Fork section. Continuous inclines and declines for 8 miles. My strategy for this trail is to start at Little Missouri Falls trailhead and hike counter-clockwise. That way, your legs are fresh when tackling the mountains, but you get warmed up with the 4 miles on the approach.

Water is everywhere. There are many primo hanging spots. Hang your food, ‘cause I’ve seen bears a couple of times.

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Hang all smell stuff. I made the mistake and forgot a granola bar in a pack hip pocket. Mr. Raccoon showed up around midnight. I had to get up, bring down my PCT hung bag, secure the food. Even with my pack hanging on my hammock suspension, Racoon was after it. Until he scored the removable hip belt pocket. I realized that the next morning and thankfully found it about 10 yards away in some brush. I've seen bear scat, lots of deer, black widows, coyotes on the trail. Had a deer walk by my hammock on the Caney Creek to get to the water.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by baldknobber View Post
    As advised earlier, don’t underestimate the Athens-Big Fork section. Continuous inclines and declines for 8 miles. My strategy for this trail is to start at Little Missouri Falls trailhead and hike counter-clockwise. That way, your legs are fresh when tackling the mountains, but you get warmed up with the 4 miles on the approach.

Water is everywhere. There are many primo hanging spots. Hang your food, ‘cause I’ve seen bears a couple of times.
    Yes, Athens Big Fork trail is a toughie for sure. I prefer to hike the loop counterclockwise too but start at the NFW106 SW Parking lot, which allows me to have a night at Winding Stairs and a lazy afternoon of swimming or fishing, then an easy mile or two hike back to the truck the next morning. Be sure to take some time to hike up to the Eagle Rock Vista for a good view of the valley below.

FYI... the last couple of times I've been up there, I've stayed the night before at Daisy State Park so I can get an early start the next morning. Nice little state park right on Lake Greeson.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet flies
    Insulation
    UQ WB Wookie
    Suspension
    web buckles
    Guy's thanks to all of you, this is great help! I've never been there and can use any adise that I can.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by st4hangin View Post
    Guy's thanks to all of you, this is great help! I've never been there and can use any adise that I can.
    Be sure to check out some AR/ERL trip reports in the Trip Report forum, if you haven't already. There are a handful of good ones that you might enjoy.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet flies
    Insulation
    UQ WB Wookie
    Suspension
    web buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by ObdewlaX View Post
    Be sure to check out some AR/ERL trip reports in the Trip Report forum, if you haven't already. There are a handful of good ones that you might enjoy.
    yeh just not seeing anything that i cud drive to

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet flies
    Insulation
    UQ WB Wookie
    Suspension
    web buckles
    The Little Missouri River at Langley needs to be below 4 correct? to be able to cross? is 4' the magic #?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast