Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images

Crowsnest maiden voyage

On Friday I got my Crowsnest. I packed it up that very night and hit the trail the next morning to Feather Falls.
    Trip report (with pictures) here.

Stormcrow tells me that he used a different, potentially problematic, baffle design for my quilt. Since I have never used a differentially cut underquilt before, I had nothing to compare it to but it did a great job for me.

Stormcrow - can you comment on the different baffle shapes you've tried?

I used the Crowsnest under my new Warbonnet Blackbird. The shockcord suspension was the perfect length and held the UQ firmly against my backside. I'll admit to being a bit nervous about a 3/4 underquilt, but I gave it a try. I love it! I doubt it got below 40 that night, so I was toasty warm. I did have a few cold spots when I rolled over, but it was really simple to reach around and give a little tug. The quilt stayed where I put it, defeating any random drafts.

I used a folded Gossamer Gear thinlight pad for my feet and legs. Originally I had tucked it between the layers but I found that it was difficult to figure out exactly where the perfect location was, so I eventually just tucked it directly under my feet. I used a JRB Shenandoah with the footbox formed, so that was slippery enough I was not completely sticking to the pad when I rolled around.

On a side note, I managed to fit both the Crowsnest and my JRB in the stuffsack Stormcrow sent along for the Burrow. It was a tight fit, but they both fit in there. I did have a little trouble with the cordlock slipping, but a simple half hitch solved that. I think I'll be looking for or making a drybag the right size for the Burrow + Crowsnest - for future, colder trips.

A great underquilt! Thanks, Stormcrow!
    Last edited by E.A.Y.; 04-19-2010 at 14:05. Reason: add link
    -Liz -

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eay View Post

Stormcrow tells me that he used a different, potentially problematic, baffle design for my quilt. Since I have never used a differentially cut underquilt before, I had nothing to compare it to but it did a great job for me.

Stormcrow - can you comment on the different baffle shapes you've tried?
    Sorry I am just now getting around to this. Thanks so much for the great report Liz! I was a little worried about compression with that particular design I was using but the concern would be much more evident in a Ptarmigan or Incubator than in a Crowsnest. It should be find for the model you ordered. I have just been playing around with gathering the shells for a better fit to the hammock. My newest design is doing a great job and I will probably stick with it for a while. It is more work but really fits the bottom of the hammock well!

~SC
    Owner/Founder at Hammockgear.com - Hammock Camping Outfitters
    Home of the Burrow, the Incubator, and the Phoenix

• + New Posts