Darien Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    DD
    Suspension
    Dutch Straps
    Images

Campground Blues

Hello all,

I am planning an out-and-back motorcycle camping trip: Pennsylvania to Montana and back. I'm researching campgrounds along my route that allow for primitive camping, but it seems so few have trees to hang from.

I've tried apps like iOverlander, RA Camping, GaiaGPS, and Campendium, but I'm not having much luck.

Any tips or tricks on finding "hangable" campgrounds along a route?

Thanks.
    “There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered.” Nelson Mandela

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    It's hard to try and plan that out before a trip. I used to just try and plan for overnight stops at places like KOA or RV/Campgrounds. If you are able, I might suggest looking seriously at a Tensa4 or Tensa Solo. I have a Tensa4, and I can't tell you how liberating it has been for motorcycle trips. You can literally setup anywhere, and depending on your bike, you can just use your bike as an anchor point, especially with the Tensa4.

Tensa Outdoors

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    One option you didn't mention is HipCamp. I have found that the owners on HipCamp can easily answer the question of "do you have trees I can hang a hammock from?"

It sounds to me like there may be an opportunity for you to consider a portable hammock stand. The Tensa or the YOBO Cricket sounds perfect for your application.
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    My "trick" was to get Tensa Solo Pole. That way, you only need one additional solid anchor, not two trees. There would still be challenges - you need a secure ground anchor. If you have one tree, and there's a site picnic table, that picnic table might be an anchor for your Solo Pole. On dirt, the picnic table was good enough for me. On beach pebbles, it slid a bit but had I attached the picnic table to an anchor, the total weight/friction would have been good enough.

If you go that route, practice setting up the Solo Pole, with hammock and tarp, at home first. In the past, you learned to recognize two good trees. With the Pole, you begin to recognize types of "ground" and what kind of anchor (screws or pegs) would work best.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Darien Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    DD
    Suspension
    Dutch Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazytown3 View Post
    It's hard to try and plan that out before a trip. I used to just try and plan for overnight stops at places like KOA or RV/Campgrounds. If you are able, I might suggest looking seriously at a Tensa4 or Tensa Solo. I have a Tensa4, and I can't tell you how liberating it has been for motorcycle trips. You can literally setup anywhere, and depending on your bike, you can just use your bike as an anchor point, especially with the Tensa4.
    Tensa Outdoors
    When you recommended the Tensa4, I was like...dude, I'm on a motorcycle. Then I looked into it. DANG! That's totally doable. Going to have to wait for the next trip, though. Not in my budget for this run. Thanks for the post!
    “There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered.” Nelson Mandela

Hammock
    Darien Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    DD
    Suspension
    Dutch Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazytown3 View Post
    Tensa Outdoors
    When you recommended the Tensa4, I was like...dude, I'm on a motorcycle. Then I looked into it. DANG! That's totally doable. Going to have to wait for the next trip, though. Not in my budget for this run. Thanks for the post!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bdanz View Post
    Tensa World......
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    I’ve carried the Tensa Solo bicycle touring, and used it in a number of campgrounds. Works great :-).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What kind of bike are you touring on? I know a guy who sleeps in his hammock at least 300 days a year and uses a Tensa4 off his Africa Twin. The one thing to keep in mind with the Tensa4 is it's pretty heavy for what it is. It's sturdy and packs down small, but it's pretty heavy. If you are doing ADV riding and heading off road, that's a big consideration.

Another consideration is where you are going. You will be crossing a lot of treeless landscape in that area. It's beautiful but finding a place to hang will be more difficult than it is around where you live.

Images
    Any National Forest has dispersed camping and are free of charge.

You must camp away from campsites.
    Pennslyvania to Montana.jpg

No National Forest nearby?
    https://hosteling.us/hostels-by-state

Connect the dots...
    https://store.usgs.gov/fsmaps
    Last edited by joe_guilbeau; 05-23-2024 at 23:14.

• + New Posts