Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeusrex View Post
    While I haven't used a black tarp myself, the color of the tarp won't make a noticeable difference in how cool you stay under it. Black absorbs more energy than white, but it emits it back out faster too. So if there's any air movement at all, the heat is stripped away from black faster than from white.

This guy does some experiments testing this: https://youtu.be/JdDDSQAkMbQ?si=G0_t7yLcezmzN2Ga

A quick google search for something along the lines of "why do bedouins wear black in the desert" will bring up lots of pages referencing related studies. I read one that pointed out how lots of arctic animals have white fur, not just for camouflage, but because the heat energy that is absorbed is harder to lose.

Bottom line: The tarp color is not going to play as important a role as you would intuitively think, in terms of how hot you are under it.
    hmm. the gentleman in the video linked is terribly confused in regards to, ahemm. he seems to be clear about the electric humvee and being sponsored, but otherwise, it's all a bit of a mayonaise.

it's understandable, the way heat is transferred is messed up, i think most engineers are confused about it, not to mention "normal humans".

to make a long story short: if you want dark under the darp, in daylight, you should look for a tarp coated with a reflective/opaque layer (some of them are not that thick or heavy, they are often advertised as having an integrated survival blanket "feature", because that's basically what it comes down to)

the "a bit longer short story":

- the amount of radiative heat transfer which is stopped by the tarp will make a huge difference, especially (but not only) in direct sunlight; if what stops it is absorption or reflection is perhaps less important, in this case (because most camping tarps are too thin to stop much of it reaching the monkey under the tarp, and that's the first thing to focus on);

- the color of the tarp is not directly correlated with how transparent or opaque the tarp is, it's best to keep the two things separate, for ease of understanding.

- if you covered the point above, and you made sure the tarp lets through near 0 IR from the sun, only then the difference between colors can be relevant, but we're talking about the difference between IR color (if that's even acceptable wording); that is to say, it's the IR range which is most important, you can have something that looks nearly black to the naked eye, but reflects most of the IR, so doesn't get much hot, and something which looks very bright in the visible spectrum, but absorbs lots of IR (for instance, a somewhat similar example is folliage of most green plants: they look relatively dark, but tend to not get very hot in the sun (which is only partly due to water evaporation), but at the same time they do absorb relatively high amounts of energy in UV (and they use it to turn CO2 into magic); green plants look very dark in UV, dark-ish green in visible spectrum, and bright hot white in IR; when it comes to energy transfer through radiation, our vision is useless (i guess we evolved to hunt for colorful fruit hidden in the folliage, not for hot blooded animals; but i digress)

this is the very short version, btw. within the IR spectrum, things get even more weird. for instance, there's narrow bands of IR which will transfer energy very efficiently to particular substances, because of the molecular resonant frequencies for the browonian motion of the molecules of that substance, but will be unimpressive when they hit other substances, that prefer (resonate at) different frequencies (this is why good quality IR heating pannels seem magic, they are tuned for the bands (yeah, there's a few) which transfer best to H2O, and us monkeyz contain a lot of H2O); yeah. you don't want to know. deep and weird rabbit hole.

anyway, if the tarp is very absorbant in IR, it will get very hot in the sun quickly, and will radiate some of it back at you, so i'd say it does matter.

if you like to DIY (as it sounds), i suggest to maybe take your time, and experiment a bit: for instance, get a cheap mylar tarp (space blanket/survival blanket), and drape it on top of your usual tarp in direct sunlight, see how/if that makes a difference. keep in mind that such experiment will have very different perceived results on a windy day compared to a still day, due to differences in convective heat loss; relative humidity will also make a big difference (as it influences the thermal confort of humans tremendously, our thermal regulating system is directly reliant on evaporation, and thus relative humidity). ah, btw, don't bother to measure air temperature differences under an "open" tarp, i suppose that goes without saying , instead just see how you _feel_

ahem. well, you asked.<shrug>

have fun, and let us know what you find
    Last edited by nanok; 05-28-2024 at 08:30.

Some of the cheap chinese tarps available on the likes of ebay are silvered on the underside, how much difference would that make?

Images
    Taking a shower to clean all the oils off your skin mitigates heat buildup. Now, the color of the soap I will step aside and let others debate.

Quote Originally Posted by joe_guilbeau View Post
    Taking a shower to clean all the oils off your skin mitigates heat buildup. Now, the color of the soap I will step aside and let others debate.
    Soap?

Shower?

Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    Soap?

Shower?
    <sigh> i think i really went too far, this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Itinerant View Post
    Some of the cheap chinese tarps available on the likes of ebay are silvered on the underside, how much difference would that make?
    i can only speculate, never tried one of those, but if they are coated using similar tech as the mylar survival foils ("space blanket"), then it would make a huge difference in terms of radiative heat transmission (it would reduce it), and a very significant difference even in direct sunlight, i reckon. I'd be curious too, if anybody has played with one of them

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    Draping a mylar blanket over a tarp seems like it would be a very effective way to block sunlight.

In fact, I'm going to think about bringing one for those times when I'm trying to use my tarp to block out streetlights (for more "industrial" type camping situations - like in resort parking lots, when most of my peers would be inside fancy vans). Of course, a regular silpoly tarp is pretty effective at blocking basic lights at night, but sometimes there are more powerful ones in play. And the sun is another matter entirely.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    Soap?

Shower?
    IMG_0353[1].JPG

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12