Single ended suspension via bipod?

I have an idea for suspending a hammock with one end on a tree and another anchored to a well placed vehicle, and I am wondering if anyone else has tried this:

HammockBipodSketch.jpg

In white you have your hammock and suspension, a skillfully drawn sport utility vehicle is far right in dark green. The dark blue and light blue are the parts I'd need to construct- dark blue likely steel tubes or wood, light blue some cable for insurance against the ends slipping out. I like this design over direct anchoring to the vehicle because 1) you can tie in lower down which seems better for most vehicles and 2) it makes for a cool suspension engineering project. If you had a winch you could even use that to anchor to the vehicle. The only thing I can't figure out is how exactly I'd connect the two dark blue poles at the top (a Y shaped or V shaped bracket? a hinge?). Anyone done something similar? I'm pretty new to hammocking (two nights in ) so I do appreciate your advice.

Hammock
    Simply Light Designs- Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD-Trail Duster
    Insulation
    SLD-TrailWinder UQ
    Suspension
    Superior Buckles
    So i actually just finished my non tree setup this morning. I copied the tensa solo idea and made a single/double hang setup for one or two hammocks off the back of the canoe rack i built for my truck. As far as the connection for two poles: There are multiple options here.
    1. Lashing- you can tie the tops together in a crossed fashion just like a teepee/shooting sticks. (Look up cheap diy shooting sticks for examples)
    2. Use a long bolt and wing nut. You will have to drill through holes in the ends of the poles, and use a bolt that is approximately 1" longer than the width(diameter) of the two poles. Attach your anchor line in between the poles on the bolt. I only recommend this if you are using metal poles.
    3. Do a tripod and then the anchor line isn't needed. Look at the eno hammock stands for ideas.
    4. Scavenge the top piece off of an old swingset and modify accordingly.
    5. Buy a tensa 4. And go camping. Lol

Unfortunately, i do not have a disposable income so I make alot of the gear I use by copying designs I see, and then making my own version with scrap i find lying around. Sometimes, though, buying the good stuff is way better than anything I can make myself. It all depends on you and your level of construction skills. Hope this helps, let me know if you have anymore questions. ��

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    A Tensa Solo would get you there. Makes it pretty easy.
    There are some car options as well.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Though, in theory, the tripod stand doesn't need an anchor, I've found, in practice, that adding some stabilizing element is useful.

If any wind comes up, it can easily catch the attached hammock/tarp and topple an unanchored Tripod stand. Also, after setting up the stand at end A, as you arrange end B it is easy to pull the unanchored end A off-kilter.

Unlike the pole or bipod systems, the tripod does not need a "structural" anchor to make it work. But when setting it up, it is much easier if one end is stabilized before moving to the other.

Did I mention wind?
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts