Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pimp my new Chameleon

After months of agonizing analysis and second-guessing I ordered my first camping hammock - the Chameleon Package from DW. I only have limited experience camping in cheaper hammocks so expect I'm starting quite a journey. I do a lot of backpacking - moderately ultralight - and to date have stayed in tents and bivy/tarp setups.

I held off buying any accessories other than the items DW includes in their package. I went with Hexon 1.6 for the heavier weight fabric as I'm 200 lbs and they said Hexon limit was 200 (and my growing puppy likes to get in the hammock with me).

• Hexon 1.0 or 1.6 Chameleon Hammock w/ structural ridgeline, continuous loops, tie outs, and a double ended stuff sack
    • Symmetrical Bugnet
    • Beetle Buckle Complete Suspension 2 Beetle Buckles attached to 15ft Spider/Poly webbing straps
    • 11ft Bonded Xenon Hex Tarp
    • Tarp ridgeline tie outs 2 Stingerz spliced on 12ft of Zing-It!
    • Tarp guy line tie outs 4 Ringworms with shockcord loops and 6ft of Zing-It!
    • Ground Stakes: 6 Dutchware Aluminum Y-Stakes

I have an EE Revelation Apex 50 degree quilt which I'm hoping should suffice as my top quilt. I recently slept fine in it down to 45. DW was out of stock of the Jack's zip-on bottom quilt I wanted (40 degree Olive full length) so I'll be stuck using my sleep pad until I can get one of those. Sucks as I have a trip coming up that I'd love to use this with the UQ but oh well.

I reviewed storage options at DW but held off until I use it a couple times. Any other must-have accessories to consider?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Does the bugnet come with the spreader bar installed? If not, I'd have that added. It's a very helpful piece that only works with symmetrical bugnets.
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Trail Winder
    First, I HIGHLY recommend the peak shelf. Its great for stashing a book, battery pack, etc. You might even want two - one for each end. On warm nights it could be handy to stash your topquilt at the foot end for easy access when it cools off in the early morning.

Second, the glow in the dark pull tabs for your zippers are small but immensely helpful after dark.

Beyond that, I DIYed a ridgeline organizer from a mesh bag I already owned. Its perfect for keeping pepper spray and other defensive tools easily accessible.

I hang my headlamp from the ridgeline as a reading lamp and for quick access. If my rain jacket is dry, I also clip it to the ridgeline. Keeping those nearby has saved me lots of trouble whenever surprise storms have popped up overnight and I needed to adjust the tarp or escape down the mountain.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I agree, get the peak shelf...at least one for the head end to stash stuff up there during the night. Ridgeline organizer is also handy, but I find I load up the peak shelf and use the ridgeline organizer for my glasses and earbuds.

At what temps does a UQ become unnecessary? I'm trying to decide if I should go ahead and buy one in a non-desired color or comfort rating for an upcoming trip to Kentucky or if the weather is warm enough to wait for the product to come back in stock and be ready for Fall.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wahowad View Post
    At what temps does a UQ become unnecessary?
    This may be dependent on personal characteristics (cold vs hot sleeper, etc.) but generally I bring a UQ for ALL my trips, even if nighttime temps don't go all that low. You'll see numbers like 68 degrees thrown around as the magic number for needing an underquilt, but even that would feel warm to some.
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I always use an underquilt. I'm in Florida and even though our fall/winter is warm (by northern standards) I use a 40F Phoenix 3/4 length paired with a 40F Burrow for everything down to the 50s. Once I get into the 40s, I go with a full length 20F Incubator. I've used the 40/40 combo down to the upper 30s, but my feet and calves were cold because I didn't have my foam sit pad to help supplement the footbox.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    As some people say, "... it's not the temperature; it's the humidity." 25 F in Bend could be tee-shirt weather. 32 in moist Portland could be miserable. But I understand you are talking about summer temperatures.

Here's an idea to consider - get an under-quilt protector (UQP) for your hammock (if from Dutchware, ask for the heavier shock-cord suspension), put your pad in that, and cinch the UQP up a little snugger than usual. You'll have some blocking to minimize heat loss, but you'll have the comfort of just your body in the hammock.

My second hammock was a Hennessy, with my hiking Therm-a-Rest pad. I put the pad under the hammock, in the UQP that was more tight-fitted than I use with an under quilt. It worked fine for mid-summer nighttime temperatures.

But understand that temperature/comfort level/insulation requirements are so individualistic.

I'd be concerned about dog claws in your hammock. Unlike cats (or the MCU Wolverine), those claws are not retractable.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 06-04-2024 at 12:27.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Trail Winder
    I would not venture out without some kind of insulation from below - even in summer in the south. CBS can make for a miserable night.

If you really want to wait for your preferred color of UQ, you could just use a sleeping pad in the hammock. I did that for a bit while waiting for funds to purchase my UQ.

It is not ideal, but it works. And Im guessing you already have one from backpacking. Shug has a few videos on the logistics of using a pad in a hammock.

I'll second the advice about getting an UQP. It can serve many purposes. The obvious is keeping the UQ clean and dry when the worst conditions necessitate it. It adds warmth by reducing heat loss due to wind. On that rare occasion when you might be able to get by without an UQ, it can help with deterring mosquito bites and, again, protection from any wind. And it can support various forms of insulation, as noted above.

I think its a few ounces worth owning, even if it isn't used all the time.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast