Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    The Journey (HG)
    Insulation
    Incubator UQ
    Suspension
    Tree straps/Becket

Fabric weight impact on hammock comfort

I have an 11 foot, single layer, gathered end hammock made from 1.6 Hyper D. The hammock is 58 inches wide. I’m 5’10” tall, 190 pounds and lay diagonally in the hammock. When I sleep in the hammock, after an hour or two I get sore spots just under my shoulder blades and hip / butt. No shoulder, arm or leg discomfort . I switch between side sleeping and sleeping on my back. I assume the soreness is due to the tension of the fabric at those points and the weight resting there. Is the weight of the hammock fabric correlated with its comfortability? If so, are lighter or heavier weight fabrics more comfortable? Are there other hammock design factors which would improve comfortability?

Images
    With hammocks you have to find the right "lay" for you. What that is, no one but you can say.

I opted for the long/wide no-stretch polyester, 136" x 90".

Why so wide? Well you can pick your diagonal lay sweet spot, and then slide towards the middle of the hammock or towards the supports that the hammock hangs from.

Or, you can opt to lay closer to the edges of the hammock, and fold the excess fabric on the sides of the hammock inwards, thus creating a nice place to side sleep with the down side arm in on top of the flap created. Then slide up or down in the hammock to get comfortable.

My slumber is very light, thus I move about a lot. Your mileage will certainly differ.

Since polyester is so taut, there is no shoulder or hip squeeze with other hammocks that have stretch, which by definition contours to the body to a greater extent than the polyester hammock that I have.

Mine is made from the crinkle tablecloths.

Caveat: I can sleep just fine on a wood floor.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I love trying out different materials for gather end hammocks. I've cycled through probably a close to a dozen or so now.

I experience the same sort of "tension" in areas with lighter hammocks. I've gone as light as 1.2oz MTN XL and Robic and for me they stretch to much to be very comfortable. The lightest I'll go now is your standard 1.6 oz fabrics.

I've come to learn I prefer a stiffer hammock lay though so my main go to is either double layer hammocks or the big stiff 2.2oz Mtn XL fabrics.

Quote Originally Posted by joe_guilbeau View Post

Caveat: I can sleep just fine on a wood floor.
    Likewise.

The primary appeal of hammocks for me is to be high-and-dry and clean. And minimal stretch in the fabric is definitely my preference.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Possibly a double layer hammock would/could give you more support.
    It is just one of those thing you are just going to have to try and see. Kinda like trying on pants or boots...there is no one that suits all.
    But it will hopefully lead to good comfort for you.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    The Journey (HG)
    Insulation
    Incubator UQ
    Suspension
    Tree straps/Becket

Thanks for the feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Possibly a double layer hammock would/could give you more support.
    It is just one of those thing you are just going to have to try and see. Kinda like trying on pants or boots...there is no one that suits all.
    But it will hopefully lead to good comfort for you.
    Shug

Considering it takes an hour or two to start feeling less comfortable, are there any practical options for finding the one that fits just right?

Images
    IMG_1415.JPG

I can guarantee you a Princess and the Pea comfort for 15-lbs of hammock/sleeping bags, and mini-spreader bars instead of gathered end.

What you see above is two Crinkle Polyester Rectangular Tablecloths , each 136" x 90".

Then there are two 0-deg F No-Limits synthetic bags.

Mini Spreader Bars are Easton Aluminum 10-inch stakes with 1/4-inch inserted Titanium Rod and the Red End Caps of the stakes epoxied to secure.

You have a plush (Princess and the Pea) under-quilt to lounge on, and a unzipped top quilt with the two synthetic bags. The cold won't wake you, if it does - buy two more bags for 24-lbs of warmth.

IMG_1400.JPG

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffP View Post
    Considering it takes an hour or two to start feeling less comfortable, are there any practical options for finding the one that fits just right?
    Trail and error more or less.

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Quote Originally Posted by joe_guilbeau View Post

Mini Spreader Bars are Easton Aluminum 10-inch stakes with 1/4-inch inserted Titanium Rod and the Red End Caps of the stakes epoxied to secure.

Joe,

Please tell me more about these.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    Joe,
    Please tell me more about these.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post1264515

Images of the end result.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post1483809

[EDIT] My hammocks are not for backpacking, they are too heavy, too bulky, and the set ups take some time to rig. For instance, the bottom hammock has to be snugged up against the upper hammock so that you are laying on the cushion of the lower sleeping bag, which has to be zipped shut and secured by four lines in order to keep it in place as you move around above it.

Down wont work because it compresses completely. The two bags are polyester exterior and fill, so they hardly compress at all. The tablecloths are polyester as well, there is just about zero stretch, the fabric just pulls taut and that is that.

The 90 inch width allows for folding the excess fabric inwards, and you can pull yourself to one side, fold the fabric inwards, then in a semi-fetal position has downward arm suspended by the trough, your downward knee also has a barrier created by the fabric that is folded over, and acts as an anchor point, so you can lay horizontal, head up, or feet up,

On your backside, the extra fabric can be folded inward and becomes a suspended head rest.

Finally, in single hammock mode, the wide hammock hems may be brought together to make a skinny double layer chair, or full length lounger, again no stretch so there is no chance the suspension will bob and weave.

The head suspension may be raised quite high, if using the fold over flaps as anchors, so sightseeing lounging is easy to rig, perhaps you are on a lake with a view - this is why I also seldom hang from trees, my preference is to set the hammocks as I prefer, and move the stand to optimally view the scenery.

Set up a dispersed camp and stay for a week or two.
    Last edited by joe_guilbeau; 06-10-2024 at 18:43.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast