Images

Best ultralight setup?

For those of us who are ounce-weenies, I’m curious what equipment people are sporting?

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    There are some helpful threads in the Ultra Lite Gear subforum.

You must be a donating member ($10) to access but there's lots of info specific to that topic.

There isn't any current activity — and hasn't been for a long while — so you must select 'show threads from beginning' to access all of them.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    My two UL hammocks are a Cloud .71 netless for non-buggy locations (4.5 ounces), or a Trailheadz Banshee UL (11.1 ounces) for buggy situations.
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    Dream Wingspan
    Tarp
    HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    DW daisy w/ mantis
    I have a Banshee UL on the way, and a HG DCF tarp w/ doors - 11 ounces in snakeskins w/ guylines and ridgelines.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    A Cloud .71 coupled with a HUG net is pretty light. Note that going that UL means you need to be gentle with your gear.

If you combine the above with something like a HG's 950 fill quilts, and a Dyneema tarp, that's pretty darn light. And expensive.

Note that "lightest" and "best" aren't necessarily the same thing.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    TrailHeadz Wraith UL or Banshee UL
    Tarp
    TrailHeadz Custom
    Insulation
    Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Breeze Buckles
    Banshee ul with custom printed net, 20° 1000fp Ethereal quilt set and a 3 panel custom print trailheadz 12x12 xenon tarp.

I'd " like" that if I could!

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    If one is doing a multi-day trip fairly deep into the backcountry, without a ground sleeping option, one should think very carefully about the consequences if these very light materials should fail. It did not happen to me, but I was right there when a friend's (MikekiM) Monolite split. We were only 1.4 miles from the trail head, and very lucky that a friend we were hiking with (Jolly, some of you may remember) had a back-up hammock in his car. Even so, it was quite a hassle to do the round-trip hike, and we got back to the campsite just in the nick of time to take shelter from a huge thunderstorm. Imagine being 30 miles in with no backup.

There are few more enthusiastic boosters for UL than I, but I will never go on a long trip with anything lighter than 1.6 Hexon, and even for local overnighters this has become my de facto go-to.

Not worth it for the weight difference of one Power Bar. And I almost always carry too much food anyway.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 07-01-2024 at 18:56.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    There are few more enthusiastic boosters for UL than I, but I will never go on a long trip with anything lighter than !.6 Hexon, and even for local overnighters this has become my de facto go-to.

Not worth it for the weight difference of one Power Bar. And I almost always carry too much food anyway.
    Have you tried the Hexon 1.2? Seems durable enough to me at weights under 180lbs and might be a reasonable trade off to the 1.6 fabric. I also have a hammock in the 1.2 MTN XL that may be a touch more durable but it bothers my back after more than 1 night (could possibly have more stretch than the Hexon 1.2?). I’ve read reviews of the Banshee making it on a full AT thru hike so it would seem the Hexon 1.2 can last if treated with respect.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I have a DW Half Wit in Hexon 1.0, which has in fact held up quite well. I have a Robic (MTN) 1.2 DH Darien which has had some small holes develop, this after fewer nights of use than the Half Wit, so now I'm a bit paranoid about that one.

No doubt a Hexon 1.2 hammock can hold up for the long run.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 07-02-2024 at 16:25.

• + New Posts