Images

Bottom quilt vs pad?

Iíve been using a bottom quilt for years but am curious what folks think about using a pad slipped between a two-layer hammock? Is it equally warm and comfortable? What are the pros/cons?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Condensation is the main disadvantage with using a pad.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Trail Winder
    In my experience, even with a double layer hammock, condensation can be a problem with a pad. Some pads are better than others, and it is affected by weather.

It is also not as comfortable. The pad - even if it is flexible - changes the dynamics of a hammock. It adds some pressure points. And it is a bit unwieldy.

On a hot night, a UQ can be pushed aside for a while, then easily pulled beneath you in the early morning hours. Adding a pad is not so easy and requires getting out of the hammock.

That said, it just depends on what you are doing. If you are going to need to go to ground sometimes, and if you donít have high humidity, it may be best for you. If you are on a budget and already have the pad, use it as you save up for the UQ.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    There are all sorts of variables, the size and shape of the pad, the kind of hammock etc. I use pads in double bottom hammocks, Ridge Runner, Amok and Hennessy SS and condensation has never been a problem, even in the coldest temperatures. Although some moisture has been evident in pad a couple of times, it has never been so much that it affected anything. No CBS either.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

I've been using a thermarest ridgerest to supplement my quilts when it's really cold out and I seem to always bring it with me at least until summer comes. It may not be as comfortable, but it's not bad either. It makes the hammock feel firmer to me. I get a good 10-15F degrees more comfort when using it and appreciate the added warmth. There might be some condensation but at least for me, it doesn't make me uncomfortable and is no issue. The condensation feeling is no different than when ground camping and is quite minor.

By itself, I don't know if a sleeping pad is warmer than a quilt because I always use them together, but the ridgerest seems quite warm

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I have used a pad AND a quilt in my double layer Warbonnet Ridgerunner to get it down to -6 F. The pro for the pad is the extra structure it provides so you are really getting a 'flat lay' and it gets rid of some shoulder squeeze. The con (other than the added weight) for me is that it changes how high up you are and makes it feel slightly more tippy. YMMV

May want to consider watching these videos to get more info:
    https://youtu.be/mekhYiSaNz4?si=wmhmCY9xy_IyS3lA
    https://youtu.be/za0IHsG4Nf0?si=O0OMIQV-GS0DEC72
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    Dream Wingspan
    Tarp
    HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    DW daisy w/ mantis
    I've used inflatable and self-inflating pads for years and they work just fine in a single or double layer hammock. You get come condensation on occasion, just like sleeping on the ground, but I've never found it problematic. Big pro is the ability to sleep on the ground or in a shelter when you want to.

• + New Posts