Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hammock Gear
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Journ
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear

Adjusting an underquilt

Ok, I'm not good at this. I'm not good at fussing with the thingies and bungies. I need some guidance.

I live near Yellowstone and backpack there in the summer. Mostly I use a tent because the trees are either too little or too far apart. I bought a Hammockgear Wanderlust kit, and have taken it backpackibg a few times (3) in Yellowstone, when I was confident there would be trees suitable for hanging. I find it comfortable. I wanted to hang when car camping, too, but again, trees were an issue. I'd especially like to be able to use it car camping in Bighorn Canyon, because along with the tree problem, they have rattlesnakes. I saw info about the ENO Nomad Stand and Shelter, and thought that sounded like it would work for car camping! I'd have "trees" and with the shelter, I'd have privacy and a spot around the hammock to put my shoes and other things, without worrying about creepy crawlies! Yay! So I got it, and because I had read that it is set up for a 9 foot hammock, I just got an ENO double nest during the last sale. I had read somewhere that my Hammockgear underquilt would work with the double nest, so I just counted on that. I got to thinking about it, and thought that it would be an even nicer experience, while camping, if instead of using the ENO shelter, I got a family tent, and put up the stand and hammock inside that. While puttering to test that out, I attached the underquilt and couldn't find a way to shorten it, or tighten it, so it didn't just sag. So, can somebody help me figure out which cord I pull or thing I tighten to make my warm and wonderful Moroccan Blue Hammockgear underquilt hug my ENO double nest? Please?

I've included pictures of the giant tent and the sagging underquilt. I know the tent isn't very good, but having spent my adult life using small, light tents, this is pretty cool. There's enough room to play basketball in here. Thanks. 20240706_075951.jpg20240706_073757.jpg

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Looks like you need to shorten main suspension. Just tie a knot in it and try.
    I'll add this video I made that may give you some insight.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon or DIY Robic XL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & CDT TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    We've all been where you are, so you're in good company. Hammocks have a "fiddle-factor" unlike tents which can make them both fun and frustrating. Learn as you go, ask this group questions, and soon you'll have an elevated perspective. Enjoy the journey.

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Hang under quilt under hammock.
    While leaving under quilt attached to hammock suspension.
    Pull under quilt out from under hammock to same side you are standing.
    Observe bottom edge of under quilt and bottom edge of hammock. Lowest middle bottom edges.

Adjust under quilt suspension (both primary and secondary under quilt suspensions, until bottom
    edge of under quilt is six inches higher along their entire lengths than bottom edge of hammock.

Then push-pull under quilt back up under hammock—into position for your sleeping.

Now under quilt will fit great under your hammock.
    One other thing—observe short end channels of under quilt and see short shock cord that goes through short ends of hammock. Do Not over tighten short end shock cords on short ends of under quilt. If you tighten them too much, under quilt ends will form a tight horseshoe-hair pin shape. That would cause an air gap on both ends.

After setting up according to these directions, one person lays in hammock while another person helps check for obvious air gaps between hammock and under quilt.

Watch Shug’s video on these techniques. I didn’t know any of this until watching Shug’s videos.
    Thank you Shug.

Hammock
    Hammock Gear
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Journ
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Thank you for your help. I think, Shug has nailed the prime issue, which is just to tie a knot to shorten it. Thank you for the link to the video, and the detailed directions, Phantom Grappler. And Buckeye Fan, thank’s for the support… I believe the fiddle factor is why after I’ve tried lots of tents, I always go back to a freestanding one. I’ll go out and fiddle!

Also, a little lift to the underquilt might help too if shortening the underquilt suspension isn't enough. Attach a prusik knot to the hammock ridgeline and attach it to the underquilt suspension and slide this up and down the ridgeline to where you would like it. Quilt hooks do the same type of thing.

Hammock
    Dream Wingspan
    Tarp
    HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    DW daisy w/ mantis
    These might help, too: https://dutchwaregear.com/product/ridgeline-quilt-hook/

When I got mine, there were a few burrs that ight have snagged on the bug net, so I took a Bic lighter and waved the flame over them (while holding with tweezers), and voila! - very smooth finish, no snags.

They're handy, and besides, you can never have enough Dutch bling.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    I’d also recommend that whatever knot you tie to shorten the suspension be slipped, so that you have a fighting chance of *un*tying it sometime. Knots in shock cord are a recipe for frustration :-). I also found that my HG Phoenix fit a little better when I added Arrowhead Equipment “Triangle Thingies” to the primary suspension, though I still use the stock secondary suspension.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Hammock Gear
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Journ
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Thank you JollyRoger, I had considered that, but was afraid that with my knot typing problems, I thought I might use a secondary piece of cord that I might be able to undo a little more easily. Honestly, that was something I loved about the Wanderlust at up, I didn't need to know a single knot. I made some mini whoopies, and that might work too capture the end and give me something to use to hook it with. I think I can! Maybe.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    Just make sure you leave some flex in the UQ suspension, if you’re putting non-stretchy cord in the mix. There’s a lot to be said for fiddling until it works; I’ve learned a lot about how my various quilts work that way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast