Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    The Journey (HG)
    Insulation
    Incubator UQ
    Suspension
    Tree straps/Becket

Underquilt for warmer temperatures

My 40 degree underquilt isn’t too warm for me into the mid 60s. When the overnight temperature is in the upper 60s and above, what do you do for bottom insulation (if anything)? Do you just create a gap between your hammock and your underquilt?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Definitely. You can "vent" the UQ by slackening the shock cord that cinches up either end to allow air to pass through instead of being contained in the system.
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    When I started out on warm summer nights, I used an under-quilt protector (UQP) with a ¾ length pad in it. The pad was not up against the bottom of the hammock. It and the UQP that held it provided enough insulation for me.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    I usually just use my 40F underquilt, and set it up on the hammock kind of loose so it vents a little. I typically will need to get up during the night at least once, if you know what I mean, and then tighten up the UQ if needed.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    I hammock outside all year and in the hot weather, like now, where it often starts the night, at least the part of the night where I considered sleeping, at a temp in the high 80s and will drop to mid/low 70s I use just an UQP to keep mosquitoes from biting through the hammock. A bit earlier in the season when it would get down to the high 60s before dawn I would use my 40° short quilt which I keep loose.
    Of course if I'm in an area w/o any bloodsuckers during this time then its just a quilt less hammock. I find I'm good w/o an UQ until it starts dropping into the low 70s during the night.
    I've clocked all this on my Thermo-drop over the last few years so its pretty easy to know what I need for the night.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    11' WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    Beckett and EVOs
    Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    I hammock outside all year and in the hot weather, like now, where it often starts the night, at least the part of the night where I considered sleeping, at a temp in the high 80s and will drop to mid/low 70s I use just an UQP to keep mosquitoes from biting through the hammock. A bit earlier in the season when it would get down to the high 60s before dawn I would use my 40° short quilt which I keep loose.
    Of course if I'm in an area w/o any bloodsuckers during this time then its just a quilt less hammock. I find I'm good w/o an UQ until it starts dropping into the low 70s during the night.
    I've clocked all this on my Thermo-drop over the last few years so its pretty easy to know what I need for the night.
    I do the same - if it's not going below the mid to low 70's, I usually just skip the underquilt. Below that and I will use it, but may not use a topquilt for at least part of the night. I use a double layer hammock and since I do not sleep nekked I usually don't worry about the skeeters getting me through the underside. I should probably get an underquilt protector though - for a number of reasons.

• + New Posts