Trail = HH, Home= Byer
    Tarp
    8.5x10.5 silnylon
    Insulation
    big agnes air pad
    Suspension
    Standard HH

First Hammock for the boy

I just finished a hammock for my older boy. He's 8 and a cub scout. I hope to have it ready for our next cub scout camp out. I also need to get one ready for the younger boy, 6yrs, too. It is made from 3 yards of nylon suplex that I got from Seattle fabrics. I gathered it using lopsided W gather with the short side at 10inches and the long side 20 inches. I whipped it starting with a double clove hitch then wrapped a couple of turns above and below the hitch, tying it off with a single clove. I then brought the ends together with a surgeons not and single cloves. The loose ends where finished with bowlines so I can attach the suspension and structural ridge line. The Ridgeline uses a tension not to make it adjustable. Finally I made whoopie slings from some 3/8 nylon rope I got from Lowe’s.

Check out the YouTube video I made of it. Forgive the low production quality. This is my first internet video too.

Somewhere between the ideal of heaven and the reality of hell
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird Double 1.7
    Tarp
    DIY 7.5X10
    Insulation
    Mac IX UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images
    Great job. DIY hammocks are a great, and cheap way for parents to get their kids camping. And kids think hammocks are way cooler than tents.
    "If your not outraged, then your not paying attention"
    bumper sticker

"You have to grow old, But you don't have to grow up"

Hammock
    Homemade DIY Hennessy
    Tarp
    Homemade Speer
    That is next on my list, after I make a Hennesy clone for myself. My son is soon to be 8 and a cub scout. So, how did you determine the correct length? Oh, and I also need to make a bigger tarp to cover us both.
    I have taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

Hammock
    Trail = HH, Home= Byer
    Tarp
    8.5x10.5 silnylon
    Insulation
    big agnes air pad
    Suspension
    Standard HH
    FinalyME;

I didn't put too much thought in to the size to be honest. the material comes in 60" widths and most hammocks are in the 9'+ length and this stuff was on sale for $4 a yard so it thats about it. The next thing i want to do is add tie outs like whats on the my HH, close it in the netting, and add a zipper entry.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl / Eno dbl
    Tarp
    Blackcat w/door
    Insulation
    crowsnest / yeti
    Images
    Great job on the hammock.

Kids definitely think hammocks are awesome. I went on a day hike with my 6 yr old nephew, set up my hammock and he was more interested in pretending the hammock was a pirate ship than making smores by the bonfire.
    Everybody wang chung tonight!

• + New Posts