Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images

Poncho Liner UQ - Early Test Results

I took the opportunity last night to do another test of the poncho liner under quilt. When I went to bed (11 PM), the temperature was around 42°F (4°C). I felt comfortable for about an hour, but I could feel cooling areas on my back. I had a small fleece blanket with me and I put that under my torso (shoulders to rump). I also used a down top quilt and slept the remaining night in bliss.

I'm a cold sleeper, so I wore a fleece top and bottom to bed. My legs were actually sweating in the morning.

According to my outdoor thermometer, the temperature dipped down to 37°F (3°C) around 6 AM when I got out of bed.

Below 40°F (4°C), I needed some additional insulation beyond the under quilt. The fleece throw worked great, actually, and was probably better (more breathable, stationary) than a CCF pad. I've been bringing this small fleece throw as a multi-use item on some trips. Normally, I roll it up and use it as a neck/head rest in the hammock.

My guess is that AS IS, the poncho liner under quilt is probably good down to 45°F (7°C) by itself. If you are expecting temperatures less than that, you'll want some additional insulation.

I ordered some Insultex insulation yesterday, which is suppose to be some high-tech miracle insulation. I'm planning on quilting a layer inside my poncho under quilt and sewing it up permanently. My hope is that this will make the poncho UQ a solid performer down to 35-40°F (2-4°C).

I think the cool areas were caused by gaps in the fabric, since the UQ is only loosely tied together.

I'm planning some canyoneering trips this summer where I'm expecting to get really wet (read: swimming), so I want to have some insulation that will perform well even in the odd chance it gets wet. I think this UQ will do the job!

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Ogee
    Insulation
    Jerry Chair
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Nice. I missed the original thread where you put together this UQ but I think it's a pretty clever use of the poncho liner.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    There are some older PLUQ threads and some old JRB testing that all suggest the average "comfort level" of a PLUQ is about 55-60 for a good night sleep.

As always, YMMV.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Somewhere between the ideal of heaven and the reality of hell
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird Double 1.7
    Tarp
    DIY 7.5X10
    Insulation
    Mac IX UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images
    Great job! where did you order your IX insulation?
    "If your not outraged, then your not paying attention"
    bumper sticker

"You have to grow old, But you don't have to grow up"

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    There are some older PLUQ threads and some old JRB testing that all suggest the average "comfort level" of a PLUQ is about 55-60 for a good night sleep.
    Pan, was this a full-length poncho quilt? I'm curious, because my modification was folding the poncho liner in half, creating a 3/4-length quilt. I made two for my brother and he just returned from a backpacking trip where they reported being comfortable with an outside temperature of 26-30°F. They did supplement with a CCF pad.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    Pan, was this a full-length poncho quilt? I'm curious, because my modification was folding the poncho liner in half, creating a 3/4-length quilt. I made two for my brother and he just returned from a backpacking trip where they reported being comfortable with an outside temperature of 26-30°F. They did supplement with a CCF pad.
    Dejoha,

It was the PLUQ alone....

One of my pet issues is how everyone supplements gear then report the basic item did X when it did not...There is no way to evaluate the contribution of the supplement.... Sorta like the oft reported benefits of the HHSS... with an added space blanket...Hech the Space blanket would add to anything...

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Dejoha,

It was the PLUQ alone....

One of my pet issues is how everyone supplements gear then report the basic item did X when it did not...There is no way to evaluate the contribution of the supplement.... Sorta like the oft reported benefits of the HHSS... with an added space blanket...Hech the Space blanket would add to anything...

Pan
    A few weekends ago, I'm out camping with scouts. I've got my summer under quilt (I made, single layer of the really thin climishield about 14oz UQ). My summer over quilt (I made, down, about 12 oz) and I'm wearing thin shorts and a thin t-shirt. Temps were supposed to be min 47. My friends thermometer said 35 the next morning. I was very chilly through the night and got up twice. Me getting up at night is rather unusual, I normally sleep till morning. The second time I got up, I had to put on my sweather, it was all I had. At least it was all my cold induced brain could think of. The next day it dawned on me that I'd packed my poncho liner too. So the next night I tied it under my under quilt and slept straight through the night. My findings are that my UQ is rated for about 50, tops!! With the addition of the poncho liner, I can go to 35 (might be able to go lower, I just haven't tested it though). I'm a cold sleeper. I don't know what I was thinking to be out there in what was supposed to be 47 degrees in just shorts and t-shirt. I guess because it was up near 80 during the day, that I didn't want to pack pants & shorts. Live and learn.... My friend used just a poncho liner under her Clark NA. Remember, I've got the Tropical, it's a much cooler hammock during the summer than the NA. She said she slept fine. My other friend also in a Clark Tropical was borrowing my winter climashield UQ and she too slept fine.

TinaLouise

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    There is no way to evaluate the contribution of the supplement
    Pan,

You're absolutely right. The example I threw in there from my brother was misplaced, and I thought about that very issue last night after I posted it. It really didn't help the discussion.

What I meant to ask you was if your results were with a single layer poncho liner, or if your poncho liner was doubled over? I'm still testing the doubled-over version. I gave two prototypes to my brother for his trip this past weekend, but since he had to supplement with at CCF pad, it doesn't help.

I think you're right, though, that 50°F is a conservative comfort point. I'm planning on doing some testing this week, but temps in Flagstaff are all over the board right now, with overnight lows ranging from 21°F to 41°F. All still colder than I think the UQ will allow by itself.

Thanks for your input!

Hammock
    HH , WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    the edge
    Insulation
    HG 40/0 phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopies
    nice ..ive been waiting on test report on this .id like to make one pretty soon as a lighter type uq ..or a spare for loan .for warmer weather .i also think this a really good project to beable to try out a uq on the cheap..very cool thanks for the report as ive been watching the org thread for a while now..

Hammock
    diy gathered end
    Tarp
    diy, syl nylon
    Insulation
    PLUQ&TQ IXUQ&TQ
    Suspension
    1" plypro web & ws
    I have been testing my doubled over pluq with shockcorded ends. I think my comfortable low temp is 47. 41 was cold. I have a tq that is a pl with an extra layer of nylon. I plan on making a tq and uq with 2 layers of insultex. I think the combination of pl and ix should get me to 30.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast