WBBB
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

VT hike suggestions for this weekend?

I was hoping some of you could help me with a hiking suggestion for this weekend.

I was was looking to try out some hiking in VT. My wife and I, with our yellow Lab would like to hike in this Saturday, camp and hike out on Sunday.

I just bought my wife a WBBB and a MacCat deluxe for Christmas and this will be her first night on the trail with them so the less stress the better. I have always done my hiking in the ADK's... mostly peak baggin' w/ the boys... so I thought something like the southern portions of the Long Trail might be nice for the three of us. I have never hiked the LT... just a quick day trip up Camel's Hump... but after joining this forum and reading some of the great reviews I'm itching to give it a go.

The Green Mountain Club is advising to stay off the trail until after Memorial day, but it seems to me that the lower elevations of the trail should be in decent shape. Any suggestions? Should I look elsewhere?

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Just a quick bump to see if anyone has some suggestions for me.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    What part of vermont? North, Central, South, their are lots of good day hikes along the AT/LT in the South and along the LT in the Northern half. If you let me know what area youll be in Ill look in my LT trail guide and see what info I can provide for you. Feel free to PM me.

Edit: ok see that your going to be in the south, the easiest thing imho would be to start out either on the Williamstown Pine Cobble Trail or from the North Adam Approach trail. From their you can hike to the first shelter which is the seth warren shelter. The Pine Cobble trail and the North Adams Approach trail are both apx. 4 mi long give or take and then from the south terminus its another 3 to seth warren shelter. Or you could start at Stratton Pond at the Stratton-Arlington (kelly stand) Road where you can park at stratton Mtn. parking lot and hike from their. Just remember reguardless of where you park make sure if you need to inform rangers you do and also make sure that its a safe place to leave your car. Let me know if you have any more questions
    ~LRR
    Last edited by lazy river road; 04-21-2010 at 10:16.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Try Stratton Pond Shelter. Flat hike in, and if early, can summit Stratton Mt for fab views. If you want to be away from people, hike CCW around the Pond from the shelter, and set up at the north tenting site. Filter water from a nearby stream that feeds the Pond. Pix from our 10/08 hike. Disregard the first half (kayaking trip).

http://good-times.webshots.com/album...ZGJiv?start=36

Gary

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB and Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat Custom Spin
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Nunatak TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gyork View Post
    Try Stratton Pond Shelter. Flat hike in, and if early, can summit Stratton Mt for fab views. If you want to be away from people, hike CCW around the Pond from the shelter, and set up at the north tenting site. Filter water from a nearby stream that feeds the Pond.
    Gary
    I agree that this is a nice spot. Since the beaver invasion and dam building early last year it is almost impossible to hike counter clockwise around the pond due to the water level on the northern end... so do it clockwise. There were three possible water sources before the increased water level, now the only decent one is the spring a very short walk on the trail to your right as you approach the pond from the shelter.

Once the caretaker arrives in the early summer it is required to hang on the far side of the pond in the tenting area. That area is across the pond, slightly to the left of my poles and is about a 3/4 of a mile trek. The caretaker will often volunteer to canoe hikers over.

I my Warbonnet

• + New Posts