HG Cuben Standard
    Insulation
    Burrow and Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch hook whoopie
    Images

JRB poloe for spreader

Hi Schneiderlein,

I didn't notice your question to me until now- sorry for the delay.

I don't own a BMBH. I was talking to Pan about another item I was ordering (down sleeves), and requested for him to sell me the poles. Soon afterwards, I noticed the availability of the poles on the BMBH page of their site.

The hammock I am currently making utilizes the BMBH pole at the head end only. I chose to go with 44" fabric width (before hemming). This will be the narrowest hammock I have made. However, I am working on a method of widening the middle of the hammock body. I am reattaching the pieces of fabric that I cut off from the lateral arcs. I reduce the depth of the curve by half on the pieces that I reattach. That way the side panels are not pulled overly tight when the hammock is hanging unnoccupied. Anyway, It is nearly completed, and I am pretty stoked about the results.

Now to answer your question: I don't know how wide the fabric is at the head end of the BMBH.
    "Better living through Hammockry"

Images
    dblhammock,

thanks for your reply. I have not made any progress on my second bridge hammock, still working on the down jacket.

I am very curious to see your finished bridge with the reattached panels.

Hammock
    DIY "Bridge Style"
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Standard
    Insulation
    Burrow and Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch hook whoopie
    Images

Reattached Panel Description

I am very curious to see your finished bridge with the reattached panels

The reattachment is just from the shoulders to the knees (about 40"). This hammock also has a bugnet. At the top of the rejoined side panels the bugnet is sewn on with a line of cord at this juncture. The cording goes between spreaderbars lateral to the sides of the hammock. This pulls the hammock wider in the middle. This hammock will have a pad for insulation (Warmlite DAM). Pulling the hammock wider should reduce contact with the sides of the hammock. It certainly makes it more comfortable and secure feeling.

Yes, I will share pictures when I get some.

BTW, way to go on the down jacket project! That sounds much more complex than hammock making.

Hammock
    DIY "Bridge Style"
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Standard
    Insulation
    Burrow and Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch hook whoopie
    Images
    Hi Mikeinfhaz,
    ...the other side has a spare ti tent stake pushed down into the hole in the handle (strap removed, I dont use 'em)
    I sure like the way that you inserted the stake to pole for spreader bar tip. I could also do without straps on my hiking poles.

Your method is probably lighter than making a webbing pouch for a hiking pole/spreader. Then you have the multi-use apect going for you, in regards to the stake which would be available to use in go-to-ground settings.

I imagine the compressive forces may be slightly away from true center on the poles (if the inserted stake goes diagonally across the inside diameter of the inner pole, and makes contact with the opposite wall). And there may be some pretty big shear forces on the stake where it exits the inner pole. Still, I think it's one of the best solutions that I have heard. Especially since it helps get you to your finished weight of 12.7 ounces. That is impressive. Good job!
    Last edited by dblhmmck; 12-29-2008 at 00:58. Reason: sp?

Hammock
    DIY "Bridge Style"
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Standard
    Insulation
    Burrow and Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch hook whoopie
    Images

Reattached panel hammock

OK, here are my first pics from an overnight New Years hang. It only got into the mid 30's, but did get heavy rain. I was actually testing two new Bridges with good success. First test of the Warmlite DAM. It's a great bottom for the bridge, except it took lots of effort to inflate (I think I had better seamseal the stuff sack-inflator, not all of the air volume moves into the pad upon first testing).

Anyway, I hope the visuals of the foot box with 7" extensions, and the under view of the compact hammock help show the extra width that this hammock acheives with this approach. The smaller poles from Quest fit snug onto the pole end tips of the larger quest poles.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY Bridge, v0.n, where n is large
    Tarp
    depends on season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    looks great. What is the width of the recessed pole in the first picture?

Grizz

Hammock
    DIY "Bridge Style"
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Standard
    Insulation
    Burrow and Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch hook whoopie
    Images

18" foot spreader bar w/ 7" extensions

I'm using a single 18" Quest pole at the foot with the aluminum Quest tips. Those tips accommodate placing the 7" extensions, made from the smaller Quest poles. I never thought that I would go that narrow. Grizz, I'm pretty sure these smaller ones are the same poles you used to spread your tarp. .

I resigned myself to the fact that my feet would be right close together, but wanted to allow an easy and supported shift into side sleeping positions. At the very bottom of that first photo, you can see how quickly the fabric widens, as the side cord goes into the fabric. The side cordage maintains most of the width of the 32" JRB head end spreader as far down as the knees, where the cordage exits the hammock body

One contributing thought on this design was to remove the excess material that was creating unused living space. A secondary goal was to give more wind shelter protection. Also, I need a hammock which can be set up on the ground. By making the footbox enclosed and widening the middle, this should make a more accommodating bivy shelter (hasn't been tested in that mode yet, but loops for stakes have ben sewn on for that purpose).

Images
    Nice looking hammock! Is there webbing in the parabolic arc? I assume the yellow cord does not carry the load, but just spreads the fabric for more space in the hammock? Can you get in and out easily with the cord up that high?

I'm done with my down jacket, btw, so I am ready to make my next bridge.

Hammock
    DIY "Bridge Style"
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Standard
    Insulation
    Burrow and Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch hook whoopie
    Images

About those lateral cords and such

Nice looking hammock!
    Thanks!

Is there webbing in the parabolic arc?
    Yes 1/2 " webbing, I double it to form the loops at the four corners.

I assume the yellow cord does not carry the load, but just spreads the fabric for more space in the hammock?
    That is right.

Can you get in and out easily with the cord up that high?
    This aspect actually turned out better than I anticipated. When unzipped, the ridgeline and yellow lateral cords hold the bugnet up and open about 8" (it reminded me of how a Warbonnet hammock's door hangs open with the side pull-out staked). I can slide in and out of that opening without unhooking the yellow lateral cord, and will probably use it that way most of the time. Additionally, each lateral cord has about 6" of elastic cord coming from the head spreader which ends in a loop. The yellow cords have a hook which can detach from these loops (particularly on the zipper side) to open it up wider. There is 4" of elastic cord at the foot attachments of the lateral cords also. These remain permanently attached, while the zipper at the foot end actually extends past to allow the fabric to open below.

So yes, I can get in and out easy with the cord this high, in fact it makes it even easier.