hennessy deep jungle xl
    Tarp
    hennessy hex tarp
    Insulation
    roll matt
    Suspension
    karabiner

uk underblanket/undercover alternative? not underquilt./

getting on my nerves, why cant we get a supershelter in the uk...

the alternatives are as follows....

http://www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk/a...g/Snugpak.html

thats it.......

OR

we can order one from here:

http://www.varuste.net/en/tuotetiedo...e+Exlorer+Asym)

and it actually works out less than ordering from hennessy direct.

i just had an enormous rant regarding this to hennessy.com and .co.uk

their answer was, if you can get it cheaper from another dealer, than buy it!

their customer service is fantastic but their range in the uk is pathetic!!!

i asked how much it would cost to buy just the undercover itself and they quoted me 112 dolars!!!!! plus 60 for shipping!!!

the whole supershelter is only 139.95!!!!

is the rest of it only really worth 27.95???? + shipping obviously...

this is all very frustrating... i really dont want to use an underquilt/underblanket in the uk! its not worth it! so much extra space and weight...

until someone comes up with a viable solution i am going to continue using my rollmat!!!

come on hennessy! pull your finger out!

Added: 12 July 2010 11:36GTM

I am not looking for an underquilt. I am looking at undercovers/very very lightweight insulation alternatives. My budget is $100 USD MAXIMUM!

I would like to know what UK users use for insulation during the summer months. I will not be using mine during the winter or for any conditions below about 10C. I am currently happy with a rollmatt but was wondering if anyone has managed to find an undercover alternative. Like looking at having a spaceblanket on the oustide or just using a wider rollmat?
    Last edited by trekkingnut; 07-12-2010 at 05:39. Reason: clarification

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Many folk in the UK use JRB quilts and the JRB modified DDP...Shipping to the UK runs about $37, via priority mail, 6-10 days delivery... Just use the DDP with a JRB Suspension System, if you do not want insulation.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    hennessy deep jungle xl
    Tarp
    hennessy hex tarp
    Insulation
    roll matt
    Suspension
    karabiner
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Many folk in the UK use JRB quilts and the JRB modified DDP...Shipping to the UK runs about $37, via priority mail, 6-10 days delivery... Just use the DDP with a JRB Suspension System, if you do not want insulation.

Pan
    whats ddp? i couldnt find it on their site...

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    Jacks-R-Better makes a UQ called the "Nest", which is designed for HH. The HH Supershelter is pretty good, but most folks will suggest an UQ instead. With the cost of shipping and potential import duties, the Nest might be worth the extra initial investment.

Hammock
    hennessy deep jungle xl
    Tarp
    hennessy hex tarp
    Insulation
    roll matt
    Suspension
    karabiner
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
    Jacks-R-Better makes a UQ called the "Nest", which is designed for HH. The HH Supershelter is pretty good, but most folks will suggest an UQ instead. With the cost of shipping and potential import duties, the Nest might be worth the extra initial investment.
    that appears to be obscenely expensive...

it doesnt snow in the uk that often.... i just want something to take the edge off the windchill factor and the convectional heat loss!!!

i dont want to splash out well over 300usd for something that in reality i can just use a roll mat for... i dont mind splashing out 70usd for a cheap underblanket or maybe 100usd for the supershelter but 300 is just ridiculous..... there is no need for it in the uk!

i spend most of my time working in various rain forests and would never use it there. i'm just looking at the undercover because i can put my roll mat in it and it stops me getting bitten if if slide off!

That's probably why so many of us make our own. You can pick up a sewing machine for next to nothing and with a bit of patience and fore-thought even someone like me can come up with a decent solution.

Hammock
    hennessy deep jungle xl
    Tarp
    hennessy hex tarp
    Insulation
    roll matt
    Suspension
    karabiner
    Have you found a good how to guide on the net? Local camping store is selling cheap rubbish sleeping bags for 3.99, thought I'd pick one up and giveit a better future....

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by trekkingnut View Post

it doesnt snow in the uk that often.... i just want something to take the edge off the windchill factor and the convectional heat loss!!!

I have to have something to take the edge off the windchill factor in anything below 60 degrees (F)....maybe you're new to hanging? Don't want to offend....and you mentioned pads in the hammock. In the long run I bet you'll get to an underquilt...a vast majority of us who have been hanging for years (almost 10 years for me) have tried any and all options including inflattable pads and ccf pads cut in many ways; in the end underquilts rule.

Hammock
    hennessy deep jungle xl
    Tarp
    hennessy hex tarp
    Insulation
    roll matt
    Suspension
    karabiner
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by trekkingnut View Post

I have to have something to take the edge off the windchill factor in anything below 60 degrees (F)....maybe you're new to hanging? Don't want to offend....and you mentioned pads in the hammock. In the long run I bet you'll get to an underquilt...a vast majority of us who have been hanging for years (almost 10 years for me) have tried any and all options including inflattable pads and ccf pads cut in many ways; in the end underquilts rule.
    im not new to hammocking no, i use my hh explorer for at least six months of the year straight for work. I lead expeditions and will not carry around something as heavy and bulky as an underblanket for that little bit of extra warmth. I have happily slept down to about 7C with only a rollmat and wasnt cold.

I have never had a problem with sleeping on a rollmat, mine weighs 370g and fits inside a nalegene bottle.

I dont mind splashing out £59 for a snugpak underblanket or even £70 for an HH supershelter but $300 is over twice what my hammock cost. I would rather spend £4 on a cheap sleeping bag and cut it up and sew myself an underblanket. i even have a $200 0F sleeping bag upstairs with a broken zip that i could use if i wanted something with such an extreme rating.

For my specific needs, i dont need that level of insulation.

I appreciate your comment but the post was more asking UK users what they use instead of a rollmat or buying the super shelter from the states. Most seem to make their own or just use a rollmat which makes far more financial sense.

I would have thought that most british users are either using their hammock only in summer in a sheltered area or using them abroad like me. We dont have massive open forests in the uk and you would need permission to hang in them anyway so hanging in winter is not something i find is done on a regular basis.

I can safely say that for work i will NEVER use an underquilt/underblanket of any description. I will almost definately consider buying the supershelter and then just using the undercover but that is all.

Maybe i should reclarify my post with a budget and needs section....

Hammock
    hennessy deep jungle xl
    Tarp
    hennessy hex tarp
    Insulation
    roll matt
    Suspension
    karabiner
    i have re-edited the title and first post to ensure no further confusion.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast