Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

So.. What going on with this?

I am in for this as well.10-20 yards. Maybe more. Price is fine. I agree we should negotiate strongly. you will need to call him and talk to him to get the best pricing.. Integral Designs is getting $140 for a rectangular 8x10 Multicam tarp that weighs 925 grams. It must be 70D poly. but they have a woodland camo at 520 grams which must be 30d silnylon. same 8x10 and same $140 price tag. That brings up an interesting question. That means even at $10 per yard it is still a good deal to DIYers. what is the width of this 5000 yard roll?

LJ
    Last edited by LJinFLA; 10-17-2010 at 21:58.

Hammock
    G-Bird II
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    AHE TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoop dutch!
    Images
    LJ,
    5,000 yards @ $10.00 a yard.
    If you got that kinda coin, we can order. No one vendor here has $50,000 to throw at this project. If we did buy the 5,000 yard roll, every hammocker in the forum would need to buy a tarp...or two...or three.
    On top of the actual purchase we would need to pay for shipping. Add that in and the whole deal gets way too pricey.

Yes. the camo is cool. Yes, I want some.
    But the price tag and mass volume is overwhelming.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    All in due time...Multicam is very popular and news articles show it is to replace Universal Camo in Afghanistan. Also, the Brits have a Multicam/DPM hybrid for use in such environments. As it becomes even more popular more products will be available in the pattern.

Until then, it might be worth looking at Multisham and the other digital patterns that use Multicam colors.

I know a guy who got the "end of a run" of 30D Coated Silnylon Multicam from Duro and was able to make a fine product out of it. He is getting a hefty premium for the Multicam right now and has used up all of his material within a couple weeks of putting it on the website. He wants more.

What this all tells me is:

1) that there is indeed huge demand in the camping market as this thread said earlier.

2) that Duro is already doing runs of this stuff for someone (likely the military), and that they have already covered their initial startup costs.

3) that people need to negotiate much harder with this guy at duro and that things at Duro may have changed since your email in April.

4) It tells me that small manufacturers like yourself need small lots that Duro might not accommodate.

5) It tells me that the price may not be prohibitive to profits because people are willing to pay the premiums right now which will give the product makers profits on things like tarps, Tipis, stuff sacks, and a whole host of things for camping.

What this all tells me is that maybe I need to get into this business. I can sell bulk small lots to you small manufacturers, I can make products myself. The more I think about this, the more I think 5000 yards won't sit around long at all. I would need to add my profit margin to things of course.

Are you guys still interested in small lots? For you small manufacturers, how big of a lot would you want at a time? For you DIYers, would you be willing to buy minimum 10 yard lots? and pay Shipping and handling charges?

LJ
    Last edited by LJinFLA; 10-18-2010 at 08:34.

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by LJinFLA View Post
    I know a guy who got the "end of a run" of 30D Coated Silnylon Multicam from Duro and was able to make a fine product out of it. He is getting a hefty premium for the Multicam right now and has used up all of his material within a couple weeks of putting it on the website. He wants more.

What this all tells me is:

1) that there is indeed huge demand in the camping market as this thread said earlier.

2) that Duro is already doing runs of this stuff for someone (likely the military), and that they have already covered their initial startup costs.

3) that people need to negotiate much harder with this guy at duro and that things at Duro may have changed since your email in April.

4) It tells me that small manufacturers like yourself need small lots that Duro might not accommodate.

5) It tells me that the price may not be prohibitive to profits because people are willing to pay the premiums right now which will give the product makers profits on things like tarps, Tipis, stuff sacks, and a whole host of things for camping.

What this all tells me is that maybe I need to get into this business. I can sell bulk small lots to you small manufacturers, I can make products myself. The more I think about this, the more I think 5000 yards won't sit around long at all. I would need to add my profit margin to things of course.

Are you guys still interested in small lots? For you small manufacturers, how big of a lot would you want at a time? For you DIYers, would you be willing to buy minimum 10 yard lots? and pay Shipping and handling charges?

LJ
    I would be willing to buy 10 yard minimums if it was around $10 a yard OR LESS. When you start getting to $15+ a yard, I'd rather just use a simple olive Silnylon at $5 a yard then pay that sort of premium for multicam.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    8x10 made by me
    Insulation
    JRB winter UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by LJinFLA View Post
    Noah Lampart requires 10 yrd minimums and I'd say more than a few people here have ordered syl from them. 10 yrds is not unreasonable.

Don't overestimate the cheapness of the community here. A quick search of the number of threads lamenting the loss of fabric at Wally World will show that many people here are more interested in getting it cheap than getting a certain color or even light weight. Also look at the number of people purchaseing 2nd's over 1st's.

Many if not most of the DIY'ers here I'm guessing are doing it to save money more so than because they want it custom made.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Travel, Parachute
    Tarp
    Noah 12
    Insulation
    A work in progress
    Suspension
    noose
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepcachr View Post
    Don't overestimate the cheapness of the community here. A quick search of the number of threads lamenting the loss of fabric at Wally World will show that many people here are more interested in getting it cheap than getting a certain color or even light weight. Also look at the number of people purchaseing 2nd's over 1st's.

Many if not most of the DIY'ers here I'm guessing are doing it to save money more so than because they want it custom made.
    I want to echo Jeepcachr, I fall in to the frugal side only because my budge out weights my need for quality.

Yes I agree, the DIY people are probably DIY for no other reason than they simply want to save money. You are right. Not a real opportunity there.

My thinking on this opportunity has evolved somewhat since I posted this yesterday and this morning. I have spoken to a couple of small business owners who are making money on the camping business with silnylon products. They too have interest in Multicam. Some have gotten their hands on some 30D in small lots and say they have sold it quickly at premium prices. Some say the cost is too high for their market and others say that they can't afford the 5000 yard investment.

This has changed my thinking a bit. First, I have some ideas to manufacture some items myself with some of this stuff but I, too, can't justify 5000 yards to start. So I am looking for small businesses who are looking to buy lots of around 250 - 500 yards of material or more at a time to offset the initial cost. If I can sell 2/3 of the lot to other businesses and get a bit of a profit out of it for my time and for me taking on the risk, then great. Anyone who might fit that bill please let me know. Or if you know anyone in the business who might be interested, let me know. I will contact them.

LJ

Hammock
    Custom made multicam
    Tarp
    Custom 40DMulticam
    Insulation
    Thermolit/pad/bivy
    Suspension
    rope/straps/biners
    Well I ran out of patience and I'm looking to post my own Custom Multicam Rainfly Version 2.0 within the next few weeks so I'm redrawing my commitment to this thread for now. I think you guys are going to like Version 2.0....
    Quote Originally Posted by exdiver View Post
    I roll more than a turd beetle.

Did you find 30D Silnylon in Multicam somewhere?