BMBH
    Tarp
    DIY BlackCat
    Insulation
    JRB or DIY IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie!

Any test temps for Shenandoah or Stealth as a TQ or UQ

I'm in the market for another UQ/TQ. Already have a HR Long and love it. I'm contemplating another HR, but was thinking of getting a lighter/warmer weather quilt. Is it possible to take a stealth/shenandoah UQ and a HR TQ down to 30-35 degrees or has anyone done it?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'll be watching this tread as I am also contemplation purchase of one of those two quilts.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    i have a HR and it's a great cold weather quilt...i havee a DIY Stealth made to the same size and fill weight that the JRB is...
    i think if you a warm sleeper 40 degrees is the lowest i would go...

and if you plan on using a HR and a stealth for cold weather i would use the HR as the UQ...you will loose more heat from the bottom due to the wind...
    you could always wear your coat to bed to boost the rating of the stealth...

if you looking for a solid 3 season i would just get another HR...
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    WBBB DL1.1
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    whoopie

Stealth really only for summer for me.

I have the MWUQ, HRL and Stealth - If I had a do-over - would have bought the no sniveler instead of the stealth. I tend to sleep on the cool side and i find that the stealth is not useful during shoulder seasons, even with a jacket I can't get comfortable below 40 with the HR and Stealth. this leaves me carrying the MW and HR, which is overkill and extra weight. Great in the summer though. Also, I would suggest getting a wearable one for your second - it is a bit a function that you may appreciate in the future, if you don't see it now.
    Last edited by Twilliger; 04-22-2010 at 21:54. Reason: add

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    I've got the HR long that I use for an UQ and a Nest for TQ. If I had the money, I would go with an UQ with more down than the HR long and then use it for my TQ. About 35* seems to be my comfort limit with these two without some other insulator outside the TQ, but then again I only weigh about 140 soaking wet. I need more down than most.
    If you compare the quilts on the JRB site, you will see that most have similar down fill, an ounce or two different between most of the 3 season quilts.
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MLD Spinn Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps n' Slings
    I used my Hudson River as a top quilt and my Old Rag Mountain as a bottom quilt the other night, 29*F. I was comfortable until my hitches loosened and the gap between my underquilt and hammock got too large. Fixed it up, and warmed right up!

I have a shenendoah also, and I really only use it in the summer when an underquilt is unnecessary.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I've used my Shenandoah into the low 40s as a topquilt; maybe high 30s. With the right clothing system it will work, but on its own you'd have to be a pretty warm sleeper to begin with.

It's a great summer topquilt, but it really isn't made for the shoulder seasons.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Simply Light Design 10' netless
    Tarp
    WiL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE apex quilts
    Suspension
    Muletape
    I've used a Stealth Long size for a few years now and stand alone it really has a 40 degree limit. I often layer with extra clothes or a poncho on top etc. It then keeps me warm down to the low 30's. I am a warm sleeper.

Late Winter early Spring this year, I have used it as an underquilt. Using the entire length, ie single layer, it keeps me toasty to upper 30's. When wanting to really stay warm into the 20's I fold it back on itself half n half and then turn sideways. Use its 48" width as the underquilt length. It then becomes a 2/3 underquilt double layered which reaches nicely up both sides of the hammock for side hugging warmth. I still have it as a wearable quilt around the camp when it gets a bit cooler than expected.
    http://www.stc-hike.org/ Susquehannock Trail Club web site - PA STS trail info

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images
    I took my Shenandoah down to 31 degrees as a top quilt.

Here's an excerpt from my trip report from March.

Quote Originally Posted by eay View Post
    used my JRB Shenandoah for a top quilt. Knowing it is barely good to 40 degrees for me (I sleep a little cold) and knowing there there would be plenty of evening socializing time around the fire (a fire is mighty nice at 35 degrees), AND knowing that I did not want to carry my heavier conventional sleeping bag plus extra clothes, I brought my Kinsman pullover, fleece pants, Primaloft booties, and an old diy fleece hood in addition to the wool long john bottoms and Ibex wool shirt I was already wearing. At the last minute I stuffed in my minima vest, a wool navy watch cap, and a pair of my old REI wool lightweight hiker socks.
    I wore every bit of clothing I had (except for the rain gear) under the Shenandoah and was warm all night. The vest got draped over my legs to keep them warm since my fleece pants are not nearly as warm as the Kinsman pullover.
    Having my big JRB 11 x 10 tarp pitched all the way to the ground and closed on the ends was key in creating enough dead space to keep me warm.
    -Liz -

Hammock
    BMBH
    Tarp
    DIY BlackCat
    Insulation
    JRB or DIY IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    I've used a Stealth Long size for a few years now and stand alone it really has a 40 degree limit. I often layer with extra clothes or a poncho on top etc. It then keeps me warm down to the low 30's. I am a warm sleeper.

Late Winter early Spring this year, I have used it as an underquilt. Using the entire length, ie single layer, it keeps me toasty to upper 30's. When wanting to really stay warm into the 20's I fold it back on itself half n half and then turn sideways. Use its 48" width as the underquilt length. It then becomes a 2/3 underquilt double layered which reaches nicely up both sides of the hammock for side hugging warmth. I still have it as a wearable quilt around the camp when it gets a bit cooler than expected.
    This is intriguing, I never even thought of that. Any mods required to the stealth s it sits right when folded in half to make sure you don't get drafts, etc.?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast