Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Bay Area Hang

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY Combo TQ
    I am a (gonna-be) hanger watching the thread. Gonna-be's start by buying things. So, I have bought some things (hammock, Go-To stove) and have the TQ nearly here .

I'm curious about how many are coming. Is it time yet to get a count on how many are (might be, could be, possibly thinking about) coming. Chime in even if thinking about it.

(Gonna-be hangers fall in the might-be-coming category.)

I see people coming from different directions. For bay area public transit information to (somewhere not too near) the trailheads, see http://www.transitandtrails.org/plan/. Hunting Hollow is listed under Hery W. Coe State Park: Hunting Hollow. The ending taxi ride could be converted to a semi-rural hike.

Hammock
    Hennessy Ultralight
    Tarp
    Equinox UL Tarp
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Breeze
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I will be going. Sat-Sun

Just weighed my pack w/o food a H2o, 6.53lbs

I will be going...I will be bringing at least one person with me, possibly two. We're not sure if we're going to be there sat-sun, or fri-sun...It depends on whether my friend(s) can get Friday afternoon off from work.

Edited to add: Looks like my friend and I will be there on Friday evening.
    Last edited by jareth.atian; 06-11-2010 at 02:35.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images
    OK The time is now 10:38am - see you all at Coe!

I'll be there Friday afternoon, keeping an eye out for the rest of you (black tarp, brown WBBB, screaming yellow shirt, big white hat) camped somewhere in spittin' distance of Gibson Pond.

Travis - you indicated you might need a ride from Oakland: Let me know by 10:30 Friday morning (today!) if (1) you still do, (2) can be picked up between 1 and 2pm, and (3) still need to borrow an underquilt or a tarp. Oh, and pm me with your address.
    Last edited by E.A.Y.; 06-11-2010 at 12:38. Reason: gone, baby gone!
    -Liz -

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY Combo TQ

Plus one for Henry Coe

This morning on Forum (KQED) were three CA travel writers. For one hour they were reccommending scenic parts of the state to see. FWIW, in the near Bay Area, Big Basin was not mentioned. BUT Henry Coe was -- as a real find.

Enjoy

Hammock
    Hennessy Ultralight
    Tarp
    Equinox UL Tarp
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Breeze
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I've been thinking about the race, I might just wait it out and show up after its over so I don't have to worry about the runners.

I'll be looking for hammocks

Hammock
    Hennessy Ultralight
    Tarp
    Equinox UL Tarp
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Breeze
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    So I got held up by the girlfrend and didn't get there until 4, only to find out I went to the WRONG gate! I didn't bother looking up directions before I left, and depended on my phone to get me there. I went to the park HQ and was told it was at least another hour drive to get to where I needed to be or hike the 30miles.

Well, I wasn't going to hike 30miles before nightfall obviously, and really didn't want to do anymore driving; so I just hiked around the area and came home. I guess I'll make my friend's graduation party after all.

By the way, the place is awesome and I'll be going back in a few weeks for an overnight with my girlfriend.

Here are some pictures I snapped while walking around. (the quality isn't great, it was my camera phone)

trees

looked nicer in person

hills

mouse

creek (near this creek there were thousands of ladybugs flying around, big swarms of them)

a deer

I'm sorry I couldn't stay, but I had a newb hammock camper (new to camping, really) with me and I just didn't feel comfortable with helping him get set up at that site. I wanted to be close to answer any questions, and I just didn't see any sites where we could get two hammocks near to each other. I hate to say, my own aging knees and ankles were objecting to the slope as well.

Still, it was nice meeting gRaFFiX and eay briefly! I'm sure that there will be other Bay Area hangs...I'm looking forward to it!

- Jareth

Hammock
    Blackbird - Dbl. 1.1
    Tarp
    OES Spinn Deluxe
    Insulation
    REI Lite-Core 1.0
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopies
    Images
    Hey Orangebananas, if you are going to go back to HWC in a few weeks, you might want to check the weather first. It was practicaly unbearable there this weekend as eay and I sat in the shade pretty much the whole time.

Jareth, sorry you guys couldn't make it work, but we may try to go again in the fall to look for a better site. eay also mentioned penner lake, which is in the Sierras, as a potential hang this summer. However, we may have trouble with conflicting schedules. All in all though, both of us have been there recently and can say that there are alot of spots for a group to hang together and have a campfire. More on that later though. hope that wherever you ended up, and whatever you ended up doing, turned out for the better.
    Those who expect disappointment are never disappointed.

Hammock
    Hennessy Ultralight
    Tarp
    Equinox UL Tarp
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Breeze
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Where I ended up taking my day hike was almost completely covered in trees; and when I was down by the streams, it was quite pleasant.

I've been to Penner Lake before, it's pretty nice up there.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567