TTTM KING (short trips) GTN7 (Long)
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    S. Sniv & Hud R.
    Suspension
    SLS with woopies

Need ideas for hanging in a dorm

I have successfully gained a single room in my college that was made for 2 people and now have space to hang every night, and not get in the way of a roommate. The getting up a structure in my room that is non-obtrusive is the tricky part. I entertain quite a bit with my projector and PA system, so I want to keep my room clean and free of obstacles. Which would mean no stand. Also, drilling into the walls are "Strictly prohibited" (I have enough skills to cover it up and make it look new, but wouldn't like to if possible).

I have an idea, but I'd like some input.

In the picture below, the two arrows that are pointing to the corners are where I would put a 4x4 either wedged into the corner or spaced out a little bit so I could reach behind them.

I was then thinking that I could put a pipe across (kinda like Risks stand) but to wedge the 4x4's into the wall (push in opposite directions). But that circle in the middle is an inconveniently placed light right in the center. could I make something like the Orange lines out of pipes and 90º couplers?

The other corner with the built in desk has no floor to ceiling path where I could put any brace.

I've exhausted my Ideas. Do you have any?

Thanks!
    ~Leif
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The nuclear generator of brain sludge is television." By Dave Barry

Hammock
    TTTM KING (short trips) GTN7 (Long)
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    S. Sniv & Hud R.
    Suspension
    SLS with woopies
    Also... I currently have a nano7 that I use for hiking, but it's not as comfortable as a larger hammock. I know it's been asked before, but which would give me a really flat, soft lay?

I looked up silk hammocks, and I kinda liked the look of the TTTM king hammock, but It's more of a wider hammock than a long one. Suggestions?

~Leif
    "The nuclear generator of brain sludge is television." By Dave Barry

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I think that you could make the load transfer across a pipe structure like what you are talking about. But let's take a step back.

You say that you can't use a stand because you need to be able to use the room that it would occupy for other purposes. a commercially available stand usually takes the form of 3 lengths of tubing which are socketed into each other. The horizontal length has feet attached. I have used one of these so that my morning routine included breaking the
    stand down to 3 pieces and stacking them in a corner. Try thinking along these lines. Is there a horizontal space where a bundled stand would fit? Under the desk maybe?
    "Interesting! No, wait, the other thing.....tedious!"- Bender Bending Rodriques

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    KAQ,WB,Ham. Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch clips, strap
    Ive build a loft bed in my dorm before and having worked in the residence halls, the least obstructive technique Ive see is 4 posts in each corner and a 2x6 connecting them all at the top along the walls. Nothing will cross the ceiling and hit the light. The weight of the wood will generally keep the posts in the same place. In this set up, you can add hooks at the two opposite corners.

Option 2 that I see mentioned here is probably the cheapest- Hammock stand that quickly disassembles into 4 peices (like the Agri stand- which I have) and put it in a corner. I bought one of the REI ski bags at the after season sales and the hammock stand fits in there easily. That would keep everything together and out of the way.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/a...3&d=1254527190

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/a...0&d=1234997044

Some pics from earlier threads, (search "dorm"). It can be done. I have my bedroom hammock hanging on a 10 foot span. Modded the suspension with two short straps. Which are just directly attached to the hammock via a larkshead.
    So I would think you could build a stand for your 10 foot span, small 3 foot or 4 foot triangles at the base for stability. 2x4 or 4x4 uprights, and a 2x4 spreader. Attach webbing directly to the uprights or install some hooks. The stand would be snug up against the walls, and I don't think it would take up a lot of room.

I would stay away from drilling or bolting into your dorm walls, they frown on that!!
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yep - for about $150 you can get a Vario hammock stand...the uprights slide right out of the horizontal piece...takes about 1 second each. The you could slide it under your bed or lean it against the wall. Total breakdown for the days you entertain: 20 seconds.

If you still want to build one like you drew, the diagonal you're on that covers the light is 16'...you don't need that much. So move the bottom left post out of the corner and up the wall a bit to avoid the light. Then add another brace along that wall to keep the 4x4 you just moved upright.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    This is the interior furnishing style known in sophisticated circles as "Early Okie."
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

How tall are the ceilings and what are they made of (sound panels or plastered)?
    When I was in college we made lofts with 4x4s with an expanding bolt head a the top so that you could wedge the upright between the floor and ceiling. Think of something similar to an expanding curtain rod placed vertically. It you then put some short legs on each for stabilization, you could then put hooks into the 4x4s and just take down your hammock at will. That being said it would probably be safer with some sort of cross brace connecting the two uprights.

On the matter of the TTTM king, I recently bought one (camo on camo) that has been hung once and fitted with whoopies that I would sell for a bit less than the $80 that TTTM charges with their shipping. PM me if interested.
    Last edited by BER; 04-24-2010 at 08:49.

Go to Lowes or Home Depot and get some sawhorse brackets. Build a set of a-frames with braces. As long as you have a wall at each end (head end and foot end) you don't even need to cross brace it from end to end. Just build it the right length to barely fit and then wedge carpet scraps or folded up fabric between the a-frames and the end walls to keep it tight.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Treehugger (Eno clone), and HHULB
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    webbing
    This is the interior furnishing style known in sophisticated circles as "Early Okie."
    And we sure looked odd driving to California in the 30's with hammocks on top of our wagons!

Crazy Hammock Lady

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast