Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hammock
    Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Claytor JH Stock

0 degree compact bag on a budget?

I need a bag that's going to keep me warm during cold desert nights, camping on the ground with a tent and maybe a thermarest. I'm told to bring something rated 0 degrees, but 20 may be doable (I've never been out west, so I'm unsure). I'm bringing my mosquito hammock, but it's probably not going to be practical everywhere, but the bag will undoubtedly be used with it too.

I've always bought cheap bags that don't last, being a miserly college student. I really don't know anything about quality bags besides in-store browsing, which all seem to be beyond my price range, or not as compact as I'd want. I'm trying to find something cheap as possible, but still durable and warm. I'm more concerned with warmth and size than weight. I'm not able to get anything top-of-the-line like some of the posts I've seen on the forums.

I have three weeks to prepare for the trip (it was suddenly sprung on me), so there's no time to save money or wait for Craiglist/eBay steals. I've been browsing on Campmor, REI, etc but it's hard to get a grasp on how compact the bags are online.

I apologize for the generic question, I couldn't find a thread that seemed to address what I'm needing, and was recent enough to be relevant.
    Last edited by Kshatriya; 04-24-2010 at 16:36.

Images
    http://www.topsleepingbags.com/ i got some good deals here. 1 week on delivery.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    http://www.topsleepingbags.com/ i got some good deals here. 1 week on delivery.
    on this site i got my Go-lite Adrenaline 0 degree for $265 and it holds true. want 2 buy it

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Zero Degrees, Compact and low budget don't go together.

Compact and zero degrees almost certainly means down for insulation. Enough loft to reach sufficient insulation value to provide zero degrees means a lot of down...and therefore higher cost for the construction with baffles, etc.

Even a used zero degree down bag is likely to run $375-$425, provided you can find one. New ones are $500-$700.

If this is a one-off trip, I'd try to find someone who'd loan you a sleeping bag.

If this is a summer-time trip, zero "sounds" to me like overkill, even for a trip at altitude unless you are going to Denali or other similar sites.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Claytor JH Stock
    Quote Originally Posted by beep View Post

Compact and zero degrees almost certainly means down for insulation. Enough loft to reach sufficient insulation value to provide zero degrees means a lot of down...and therefore higher cost for the construction with baffles, etc.

Even a used zero degree down bag is likely to run $375-$425, provided you can find one. New ones are $500-$700.

If this is a one-off trip, I'd try to find someone who'd loan you a sleeping bag.

If this is a summer-time trip, zero "sounds" to me like overkill, even for a trip at altitude unless you are going to Denali or other similar sites.
    Yeah, I'm aware of the difficulties of finding something affordable at 0 degrees, but I'm also looking for something synthetic around 20 degrees, which should be more reasonable. There's no possible way I could gather 200-300 dollars in such a short time, because I'm going to be looking for some other gear too, still under a small budget. This trip is going to last 3+ months and I'd like to have gear that's going to be usable beyond that. I'm not too tough on my equipment, so there has to be something cheap out there. It's easy to find bags for 60-70ish dollars on Amazon, but quality and portability are a question.

This place has some crazy deals, but I've never purchased anything from them, so I can't offer any type of endorsement. http://www.campingmaxx.com/Sleeping_Bags.html

Hammock
    Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Claytor JH Stock
    Quote Originally Posted by grakker View Post
    This place has some crazy deals, but I've never purchased anything from them, so I can't offer any type of endorsement. http://www.campingmaxx.com/Sleeping_Bags.html

This looks like what I'm needing! Has anybody used this site before? 0 degree down bag for 150 dollars? I need to find out if this is a scam, or just terrible quality, or what?

EDIT:

I just sent them a call on the 1-800 number to ask some questions about the down's sizing, and everything the gentleman said seemed to be scripted, like he wasn't even having a real conversation. He also seemed to assume that I'm a boyscout, and went on about how the prices in China are changing everyday. It all seems very sketchy, but maybe I'm just paranoid.
    Last edited by Kshatriya; 04-24-2010 at 18:29.

EDIT: Actually, since I put it up here, he runs a shop through Amazon.com at http://www.amazon.com/gp/shops/storefront/index.html (just search for "sleeping bag" at the top) and has got pretty positive feedback. Good luck!

The guys name is Ryan Shulman 949-646-3000. This is his line. I bookmarked the site several weeks ago, and just figured I'd research it if I ever got ready to buy something.
    Last edited by grakker; 04-24-2010 at 22:14.

Hammock
    WBBB SGL 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Std Cuben
    Insulation
    Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Kshatriya View Post

This looks like what I'm needing! Has anybody used this site before? 0 degree down bag for 150 dollars? I need to find out if this is a scam, or just terrible quality, or what?

EDIT:

I just sent them a call on the 1-800 number to ask some questions about the down's sizing, and everything the gentleman said seemed to be scripted, like he wasn't even having a real conversation. He also seemed to assume that I'm a boyscout, and went on about how the prices in China are changing everyday. It all seems very sketchy, but maybe I'm just paranoid.
    Don't know anything about the site but my son and I have been using the
    Extreme Pak 0 deg 3.1 lb bags for about 2 yrs now. Price is about the same as what we paid. They are synthetic and have gotten us through temps in the 20's easily. Pretty good for 3.1 lbs and a low price. We have been comfortable as low as 17 deg with insulated coveralls on.
    It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.
    Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by beep View Post

Not necessarily. I just picked up a like new condition Big Agnes 15 deg down bag off FleaBay for $88. I picked up BA zero degree pad for $33. Deals are there if you can be patient and a bit flexible. Obviously a 0 degree bag is going to be more, but the OP might consider going for a cheaper and more common bag like the one I bought, and prepare for the temp difference via clothing.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast