Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Short UQ/pad combo
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Method to prevent shock cord sag on a channel suspended UQ

In cold weather the shockcord I used tended to have more stretch memory than in warmer weather. It was particularly bad on my wife's UQ, and it created a large cold spot due to the gap made by the sagging shockcord.
    I fixed this by using a small piece of cardboard inside a cord pocket on the bugnet of her hammock bliss as a toggle, and placed around it the loop made from twisting the shockcord lines together.

Hangnout made some triangles to help aid the suspension of the UQ and stop it from sagging. This was a brilliant idea, and would work very well in solving this problem. However, it would also mean that I would have to modify the existing suspension and add to the ever growing project list. I don't really have the time right now to make these.

Shug, in one of his AWESOME how-to videos (part 10 I think) (did I just say awesome? I did didn't I...) , added a couple of grossgrain loops on his UQ and attached some shockcord with mitten hooks to attach to his ridgeline. This again is a great idea but would necessitate the time to mod my quilt. I have piles of IX waiting in my gear room impatiently...

Last year Happycamper made some a loop on the UQ's and the WBBB to prevent shoulder slip - basically a similar issue to the shockcord sagging.

I was in REI yesterday picking up some Ininji socks for my wife when I walked by these.

I thought they might solve my problem partially, and maybe even completely with a little help from cordage.

I attached the little mini biner (package was about two bucks at REI) to the shock cord above the ridgeline on both ends of the hammock and slid them into position.

While it does slide towards the suspension end when the UQ is spread, a lash-it whoopie sling with a fixed eye would limit the movement of the mini biner. I haven't made one yet though. If someone wants to test the whoopie sling idea or tries this idea out on a WBBB hammock with the footbox, please let me know if it works.

It works well in my hammock.

This could work with a loop of cordage and would probably even be lighter, but then you wouldn't be using the awesome little mini biners would you?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The experiments continue........
    Good use of the s-biner.
    Kill those gaps on heavy UQs ))))))
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB; Bridge in progress
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Short UQ/pad combo
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks Shug. The tinkering never stops.
    I got most of the paperwork finished that I need to do, so I'll see if I can finish up some projects tonight.

My underquilt isn't exactly heavy (~8oz) but I still noticed sag with the shockcord at lower temps. I thought this would be a quick and easy way to adjust the tension on the upper and lower parts of the UQ, helping eliminating the gaps and shoulder slip while not having to permanently modify the UQ, UQ suspension or hammock.
    Last edited by LostCause; 04-25-2010 at 17:05.

Images
    i've done similar before. i think i used a prussic on one side to keep it from sliding, even just a larkshead on one side would probably be enough

Images
    this was a problem on the trail. i was stuck at a shelter for 36 hours at a high of 10 degrees. i was getting cold spots as the elastic froze. i use these (walmart)for my superfly and just hook to ring and gutter spike.

that day i poked a hole in UQ on both sides and hooked a bungee and with extra twine tied it up to ridge line. did this at kidney area both sides. the next 18 hours were great. i'm thinking of putting loops there on the quilt for future.

could taking some of the weight off the quilt in the center help?? or is there an elastic material that doesn't fail in the cold?

Hammock
    WBBB; Bridge in progress
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Short UQ/pad combo
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    i've done similar before. i think i used a prussic on one side to keep it from sliding, even just a larkshead on one side would probably be enough
    So you just prusiked the two shockcord lines together? Or put a prusik on one line and connected it to the other?

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    i'm thinking of putting loops there on the quilt for future.

could taking some of the weight off the quilt in the center help?? or is there an elastic material that doesn't fail in the cold?
    Glad you were able to get it worked out and stay warm through the night! Necessity is the mother of invention!

Silicone is more resistant to cold weather than elastic cordage. Perhaps there is a way to use silicone tubing to help keep tension.

The mini biner method changes the angle of the underquilt suspension. It raises the shockcord ends higher and should eliminate the need for added loops on the underquilt.

I added a small piece of mason line to stop the mini biners from sliding up or down the shockcord. I'll see if I can get a picture of a person in the hammock to show the effect of the mini biners.

Hammock
    WBBB; Bridge in progress
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Short UQ/pad combo
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The two mini biners with a few feet of mason line is about 6 grams.
    Without the mini biners:

With the mini biners:

Images
    I have had the same problem with my UQ in cold weather and use a similar method. Instead of a mini-biner, I use a velcro cable tie. It does not slide toward the suspension end and weighs a fraction of a gram.

Hammock
    WBBB; Bridge in progress
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Short UQ/pad combo
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneiderlein View Post
    I have had the same problem with my UQ in cold weather and use a similar method. Instead of a mini-biner, I use a velcro cable tie. It does not slide toward the suspension end and weighs a fraction of a gram.
    I like that idea. The mini biner doesn't really slide unless I really spread the UQ out before I get in. I'm sure anything that isn't cinched down really tight or tied to something will do the same. I'm liking the idea of the velcro cable tie though. Do you use one on both ends?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LostCause View Post
    I like that idea. The mini biner doesn't really slide unless I really spread the UQ out before I get in. I'm sure anything that isn't cinched down really tight or tied to something will do the same. I'm liking the idea of the velcro cable tie though. Do you use one on both ends?
    I use one on either end. I'm not sure if the one on the head end is really necessary. The gap at the foot end is the problem for me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast