Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY
    Images

Thumbs up

Thanks for bringing this back, Fish. I've been thinking about an indoor stand for a while. We have some flooring that was laid green in our bedroom, and cracks have appeared as the boards shrank. If I pull up the floorboards to reposition them, I may scab some supports onto the revealed floor joists so I can just drill angled holes into the floor for a hammock stand. I'd better get the location right.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Your very welcome WV. Just make sure that if you decide to mod your house you post pictures for all to see.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    UCQ Hanger
    Insulation
    Renegade/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    My favorite part is how the punching dummy seems to disapprove. Very stern, that fella. Maybe it was the loss of his arms and legs in a tragic moulding accident.
    ‟I’m in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection. But with Montana it is love.″ – John Steinbeck

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Not an engineer of any sorts, so relying on you guys for this question... is there any reason why I couldn't mount a similar 4x4 under my back deck with holes running through the deck and into the 4x4 for the pipes? Would mount a substantial plate under the 4x4 holes to hold the pipes.

This seems like it would be an out of the way semi-perm solution with only pipes to store away when not in use.

Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    Not an engineer of any sorts, so relying on you guys for this question... is there any reason why I couldn't mount a similar 4x4 under my back deck with holes running through the deck and into the 4x4 for the pipes? Would mount a substantial plate under the 4x4 holes to hold the pipes.

This seems like it would be an out of the way semi-perm solution with only pipes to store away when not in use.
    Seems a no-brainer, if I had a deck I would be thanking you for the idea- come to think of it, I can use this idea on my porch, so thanks!

Hammock
    DIY DL gathered end hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 11 ft cat cut
    Insulation
    DIY down diff cut
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Thanks for bringing this back, Fish. I've been thinking about an indoor stand for a while. We have some flooring that was laid green in our bedroom, and cracks have appeared as the boards shrank. If I pull up the floorboards to reposition them, I may scab some supports onto the revealed floor joists so I can just drill angled holes into the floor for a hammock stand. I'd better get the location right.
    That would be WAYYYY cool! Removable built-in hammock stand anchors in the floor. I am green with envy.

Hammock
    Grizzbridge/RR/DIY GE/Pares
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/strap
    Wow, what an "idea I wish I thought of". I have to
    make this.... I have a turtle dog stand but my wife won't let me put it up. This one is discrete and ill bedazzle it for her.

Have you had any stability issues? Ever fall off sideways? Anything other mods you wish you had done?

Hammock
    DIY UL w/ dynaglide whoopies (6oz)
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post

You, good sir, are a genius. I had all sorts of ideas for adding a stand to my back deck, but this is so simple, it will be done as soon as the snow melts in the spring. I can secure it alongside a joist, and simply add two drilled out angled ports for removable poles.

I will probably add a base plate to insure the poles do not extend through the 4x4, and possibly make the hole in the decking slightly larger to allow the holes to be covered when not in use. Pics to come this spring...

Michael

Hammock
    WBRR / WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG / UGQ
    Suspension
    Buckles / Whoopies
    i actually made this a month ago after seeing this, but it was too heavy for me, and was very expensive where i live. i just recently went to wall studs and eye screws for my hennessy and eno

Hammock
    DIY 11.5' gathered end
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly,Kelty16
    Insulation
    0* Lewis
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64 WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by digrat View Post
    Pressure treated 4' x 4' x 10' boards at my local home center are $13.
    Pressure treated 2' x 4' x 10' boards at my local home center are $4.

I strongly suspect that the cracking at the holes could be remedied (or improved at least) by using two 2' x 4' boards glued together. Use one lag bolt just in front of and one just behind each hole for strength.

I'm no engineer, but my reasoning is this: I am an avid New Yankee Workshop watcher, and Norm goes on and on about today's modern glues. He says that the wood will usually fail long before the joint does, especially if you're using something like Gorilla Glue (a waterproof glue--important for outdoor woodworking!). That's one.

Two is: If you have two different pieces of wood, you'll have two different grain patterns back-to-back. If you just so happen to get one with a weak grain where you've drilled, chances are the other board can take the weight.

Third, a tighter-tolerance hole will also help prevent cracking, in my experience. But that goes for using 4' x 4' boards too.

That's my $.02

To extend this one step further, it would be relatively simple to use a marine grade plywood, a table saw or someone good with a skill saw to make 4" strips and glue them together.

This should make a super strong base. Heavy as crap and strong.

Might have to get my clamps out.

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast