Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

DIY $25 Rabbit Ear Hammock Stand

Hello everyone, first time posting.

After researching some DIY backyard hammock stands, I came up with this new design. Let me know what you think.

I call it the "Rabbit Ear Stand", because it resembles the old analogue TV antennas, or a rabbit ear knife sharpener. Basically you buy a 10 ft 4x4, and screw on some perpendicular 2x4 feet on the bottom. Then use a large spade drill bill or hole saw to make two angled holes at either end to hold some 1-1/2" or 1-3/4" Electrical Metal Tubing. The tubing comes in a 10ft length so I cut two 5ft pieces. Slip them into the holes. next I drilled some 3/8" eye hooks to attach the hammock.

The stand is extremely sturdy, cheap, and easy to make. The best part is that the pipes can be simply pulled out, and stand can be easily stored flat.

The white rope between the two eye hooks is just holding up the bug net and is not necessary for hammock support.

Also drilling a large diameter hole at an angle can be difficult to get started. Try clamping a door wedge shaped piece of scrap wood with the desired angle to the 4x4 and drill through it into the 4x4. After you are in the 4x4, remove the wedge and continue through the 4x4.

Last edited by Black November; 04-27-2010 at 11:20.

• + New Posts