Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tgreening View Post
    Do you guys make this stuff up on the fly? What the hell is HF and BPL? Has it EVER been used anywhere else in this forum, or anywhere ever for that matter, other than right now? Not meaning to single you out trooper as this seems to be a forum wide phenomenon; seemingly created on the spot acronyms and contractions. Maybe that's not the case, maybe you just need to be an "Old Salt" that's been here a gazillion years, but for newer people it's just downright frustrating.

I belong to quite a number of enthusiast forums of one sort or another and have never EVER seen such a love affair with the contractions and such.

Ok, ok, soapy soap box rant over.
    I apologize, Mea Culpa.

I thought it was quite clear from the context that I meant Huge Frogs and Bipedal Lemurs, which are my pack animals. Hammock Forums and Backpacking Light would make sense though....

Hammock
    JRB Bridge and WBBB 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    Mamajamba SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Gossamer Gear 1/4"
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings!
    Funny one Trooper!

Ok, here is how I see it right now for my thru-hike of the Long Trail. For just kicking around on short trips I will probably go with what I had on the list.

I can dump 2 tent stakes and use sticks. (33 grams)

Going with the Sawyer 2 liter gravity filter saves me a few ounces. (56 grams)

But I haven't weighed guylines and ridgeline for new tarp. Hoping that comes in around 2 ounces (+56 grams)

I can leave the GSI Soloist cookset at home. It is a luxury item with lots of capacity and a coffee mug. Instead I switch to a BPL 550 titanium mug and that would save me 186 grams.

I can make a cozy and save about 20 grams but probably won't as I love the dual purpose of the fleece hat.

Firesteel scout can stay home. I have a Bic lighter. - 26 grams

switch to BPL pack liner -26 grams

Need to add a long sleeve shirt and long underwear for sleeping. Estimated those at 8 ounces each. Hopefully less.

I have updated the spreadsheet to reflect a few changes and a few new pieces of gear.

Still under 12lbs. Am happy with that.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Bleemus

Yes, I sleep in a hammock. Please pass the Grey Poupon.

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    i'd take some strike anywhere matches if you're going to ditch the firesteel. bics can last a year or 2 but they can also break randomly and without cause...

under 12 is awesome. be proud

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    WB Big Mama
    Insulation
    3S Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    Jedi Power NoCable
    Quote Originally Posted by swoosh View Post
    i'd take some strike anywhere matches if you're going to ditch the firesteel. bics can last a year or 2 but they can also break randomly and without cause...
    agreed.. its 26 grams that I will never shave of my gear.. firesteel work when wet and is pretty much indestructible if you are not careless.. and will outlast any other gear in a long term situation, and its faster than a bowdrill.. bic are good till something bad happen.. and fire is life, fire is food, fire can keep you warm, blah blah, you know the drill

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper View Post

The MSR Groundhog (14g) is in my collection, but I've found the MSR Needle (10g) stakes hold well enough. I'm going to experiment with Vargo Shepherd's Hooks (8g) this summer and fall. I've also found REI, Sierra Designs, and GoingGear make a shortened version of the Groundhog, which might save a few grams.
    What I do is to take a combination of all of these stakes. I like the vargo shepherd's hooks but I've also been in places where they just don't hold. Having a couple of the groundhogs has worked out. I'll also have a couple of the needle stakes with me too.

After spending so much $$ on getting all three of these stakes, I found that I didn't want to lose any of them. I got the groundhogs in red, they're easy to see, when I bought the needle's, I got the silver, then had to use some nail polish to paint their tops. I see they now come in red. Haven't yet figured out how to make the hooks show up better and I've already lost one.

TinaLouise

Hammock
    JRB Bridge and WBBB 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    Mamajamba SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Gossamer Gear 1/4"
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings!
    Quote Originally Posted by DocBurN View Post
    agreed.. its 26 grams that I will never shave of my gear.. firesteel work when wet and is pretty much indestructible if you are not careless.. and will outlast any other gear in a long term situation, and its faster than a bowdrill.. bic are good till something bad happen.. and fire is life, fire is food, fire can keep you warm, blah blah, you know the drill
    You make a good point. It was the reason it was there in the first place. Maybe I can get it back in the bag.
    Bleemus

Yes, I sleep in a hammock. Please pass the Grey Poupon.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123