WBBB double 1.1
    Tarp
    speer winter tarp
    Insulation
    3 season yeti
    Suspension
    webbing

kids and hammocks

my son is 7 years old, and has begun to express an interest in going hiking with me. when i bought my blackbird, i sold my tent (which was only big enough for me, anyways), so i'm going to have to buy another shelter of some sort before i take him out with me. he has said that he wants a hammock, too, but he always wants whatever i have before he knows anything about it. should i just buy a two man tent, or do any of you have experience with putting children this young in hammocks? i don't mean in the hammock with me, i mean buying him his own. would one type of hammock be better than another for a child? i guess i'm also a little concerned about him being nervous about sleeping "alone", whereas in a tent i would be in there with him. any thoughts, personal experiences, etc. would be appreciated.
    -tagg

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Tagg - before spending any $ for a kids hammock you could borrow one of mine. I have an ENO double and several diy hammocks. My girls love the ones I made for them. They are 7 and 4. You could even make your own. If you need me to I would be more than happy to help. Just let me know.
    Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

DONATE TO THE GOAT ISLAND FIRE PIT FUND

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    tagg:
    Take CW up on the offer and let your son try the hammock out first. I bought a hammock for my daughter, a Grand Trunk ABES, and she loves it. She likes to set it up in the yard on the hammock stand and lounge around in it. We have only one overnight outdoor experience, ex-gf's backyard, and she got spooked by the dog barking......she made it most of the night but did find the couch about 0230, still trying to take the city out of my girl!!!!!!!!! I made the mistake of not pitching us on the same trees, couldn't make is work with the trees we had.

If he does go with you, in his own hammock, I can say that you should hang the hammocks from three trees, both hammocks attached to the same tree at the foot end and two seperate trees for the head end. Let him try it, he may suprise you and wear you out in the process of you trying to keep up with him on the trail!
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    HH
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    HH, SS
    Images
    my boy is 9 and has his own Hennessy , he loves it. when set up with him i always tie one end of each hammock to the same tree, the other ends on separate trees. the other kids are different, they must have a tent, they are boy 3, girl 6, and girl 6. they all LOVE camping.

Images
    I took my four kids and wife backpacking two weeks ago. Girls (ages 6,6,3) each in their own hammocks, wife and I each in our own hammocks and son (6 months) in the tent. Girls wouldn't even try the tent.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    BMJ
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    My stepson is 7 and has his own HH and he loves it. Like clntstime said try to pitch them so that he knows you're right there for him. I even give him one of those chemical sticks for a night light and hang it from the ridgeline.
    If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable.

Insulation
    warm stuff
    my girls haven't been camping in a hammock, but they love camping and are 8 and 5. they have DIY hammocks in their room. Cranky Bear made for them....my 5 year old won't sleep in her bed anymore....just the hammock.
    try it out....he will love it....lol
    i like the idea of borrowing someone's before you spend the money. when i get some cash together i am getting myself a new hammock and giving my oldest my HH Scout
    it will be awesome
    good luck
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once. Jennifer Unlimited
    Health food may be good for the conscience, but Oreos taste a hell of a lot better. -- Robert Redford

http://daydreamingmisadventurer.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    NeoAir LT / DIY UQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Images
    My nine year old did well at scout camp last year in a Hennessy Hammock. He had the option of getting in the tent with his grandfather and cousin, but stayed all three nights in the hammock.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    I got my son (six now, but 5 last year) a hammock for him to use on our hikes last year. He loved it and did not want to get up in the morning--total opposite of normal for him. He will be hanging again this summer in it. Going to be working on him helping with the set up and tear down of his rig this year. He also insisted on his own tarp and did not want to hang with dad under one, he felt very big having his own set up. We were still close together each time we set up but he was on his own and loved it.

Chickenwings offer is great, get together for a night out and see how he does in it before committing to one option or another.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I've had my kids hammock camping since they were about 4. They're 10 and 14 now, and fighting over who gets the silnylon hammock I just made in their room. (Two nights ago, my 10 y/o slept in it in our room. Last night, my 14 y/o slept in it in his room. I just moved it to my 10 y/o's room this morning so he gets it tonight.)

In the beginning, I'd put my younger one in the hammock with me, but not anymore. My older son often hangs under a separate tarp, but my younger one is always in his own hammock under my tarp. He's probably old enough to hang under his own but he likes hanging under mine, and it's easier to set up one site.

Lots of info on my site about it, and several other threads here on HF if you search.
    - Some DIY kid's gear: http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGear.html
    - Some trip reports...Most of the '05 and '06 trips have the kids along, and the Jones Gap trip was a week long with one kid at a time.
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HikingPictures.html
    - Some blurbs on hiking with kids:
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HikingWithKids.html

Hope this helps!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast