Grand Trunk UL Travel
    Tarp
    cat-e-nary-cut
    Insulation
    bearskin rug
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Look at the kilt.

Are the pleats sewn down? That reduces the adjustability.

A traditional kilt is held in place by the belt, folds in place. The traditional kilt could be used as a blanket.

Hammock
    SB Pro / SlingRings
    Tarp
    10x10 w/ Fig. 9's
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    1" PloyPro Straps
    Typical kilts have about 4" of adjustment by means of leather straps. Even with this adjustment it is possible to take a kilt in or out a bit more (maybe another inch or so) by repositioning the straps and buckles. There does however come a point where the proportions of a kilt start to not look "right". The apron reaches too far around or not quite far enough. Fear not though, when in doubt, order larger since a kilt can always be sized down, but stretching a kilt to make it longer is virtually impossible.

Casual kilts that would be more suitable for hiking (4 - 5 yard kilts) usually have more adjustment flexibility. The makers may use Velcro tabs, or hook and Eyes like these

My PK MarPat has 3 sets of hooks roughly 1" apart. My velcro kilt has about 4 -5 inch tabs. Either of these kilts could be sized a bit larger or smaller very easily and still look decent.

Utilikilts and the like that fasten with button snaps often have no adjustment. There are a few makers who put multiple button snaps at the waist for sizing though so it won't hurt to ask. You could always DIY the extra snaps.

A quick bit of trivia about kilt sizes though. If your pants say 38", you will not wear a 38" kilt. You will likely wear a 40" kilt. Partly I believe because of marketing, they want you to think "wow, I wear a size 38 in this brand of jeans", when there may actually be a margin of error in their sizing. The other reason is you may not wear your kilt at the same height you wear your pants. Typically a kilt is worn at your "true waist" which is at your belly button, several inches above where clothing makers design their pants to be worn today. So make sure you follow your kilt makers measuring instructions to the letter to get the best fit.
    Last edited by cavscout; 05-04-2010 at 00:37.

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    I just did a backpack trip this weekend and spent the whole time wearing my kilt. The first night, I hung it over my ridgeline to dry a bit, but in the morning, it was quite damp, from the fog/clouds that were blowing through. The second night, I laid it between my UQ and my hammock and it was much drier the next morning.
    shining rock kilt 1.jpg shining rock kilt.jpg

Acer
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Why don't you make a kilt that you can hang as a hammock?

And Cuffs...I'm not sure about that confidence thing. One time I wore a fishnet body suit and nobody thought I was sexy. I was all kinds of confident, but they still just pointed and laughed.

(That's a total joke and didn't happen. Nobody pointed...they just laughed. )
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Pics, or...nah...I'll take yourword for it.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post

And Cuffs...I'm not sure about that confidence thing. One time I wore a fishnet body suit and nobody thought I was sexy. I was all kinds of confident, but they still just pointed and laughed.

I really wish I had not read this post. Shouldn't some sort of warning icon be mandatory?

where's a moderator when you need one
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Formerly of Yosemite and Zion NPs. Currently residing at Grand Canyon NP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post

thanks for that image that I now cannot remove from my brain....
    Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kukri View Post
    Question to the kilted veterans:

How much does the sizing of a kilt change with the change in the wearer's weight? I have picked up about 20lbs in the last 10months due to unemployment and plan to lose it all again, but it may take a bit. While I would like to get a kilt in the near future, I don't want to buy one that won't fit me after shedding the pounds.
    Me: lost 22 Lbs in 20 days last long hike, when I started, my kilt was just shy of being too small around the waist. 20 days later, I had to use my belt to keep the kilt up or pray that it was nude hiking day. The Velcro (it's a SW thrifty kilt) has a "range" of about 3" & at the end of the trip my Velcro was totally useless. Thankfully, the hook part somewhat fastened to the fabric of the kilt while I was donning the kilt.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    I think it's the confidence in men who wear kilts that stands out as sexy to women. .
    My confidence would REALLY have to stand out to overcome my scrawny white hairy legs!
    "I know the feeling - It is the real thing - You can't refuse the embrace!" | "Go n-éirí an bóthar leat."

Hammock
    DIY gathered or Mayan
    Tarp
    DIY sil nylon hex
    Insulation
    Wool and feathers
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    This is the best kilt quote I've ever heard!

Quote from a preacher on greeting a kilted gentleman at church:

"The Lord looks down on a man in a kilt and is proud, the devil looks up on a man in a kilt and is afraid." [/QUOTE]
    "The mighty oak is nothing more than a little nut that held his ground."

Jack of all trades...master of one. (Master Barber)

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast