diy gath'd end w/ KM, diy PH whip't
    Tarp
    12' henessy
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ and UQP
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie - msh

Sad sac

Well after reading streamlines post about making a stuff sac, I decided to get the machine out and start making one for my cook kit. There's really nothing to making them but I'm used to heavier material such as canvas or sunbrella... materials I use on my boat. Anyway other then messing up twice doing the button hook- first mistake was thread bunching up because the material wasn't moving and second mistake after cleaning up the first was to sew both halves together! Next sac will just have a hole melted thru. Space for sewing on the boat isn't much of an issue but cutting out the material is. I didn't have scraps to work with because I only just recently purchased 4 yards of ripstop. All in all it was a fun project.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sailing, ham radio (qrp), linux, diy hammock stuff...
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/godspeed.html
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/radio.html

Hammock
    diy HH
    Tarp
    10' x 8' diy cat
    Insulation
    Full down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ straps
    Happy to spread the bug. Trick I use for the fabric not feeding. Put a peice of thin paper under the fabric. I used a subway napkin lol. This trick works with noseeum so the feet don't damage the fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by streamline View Post
    Happy to spread the bug. Trick I use for the fabric not feeding. Put a peice of thin paper under the fabric. I used a subway napkin lol. This trick works with noseeum so the feet don't damage the fabric.
    Hey! Thanks for the tip!!! I'm about to try tulle for a lighter bug net and was wondering how to get it to feed. That's a great tip.

Just a single layer of paper napkin? I guess you just tear it out when you're done? Or soak in water so it can be washed out?

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by seaelf View Post
    ...... Anyway other then messing up twice doing the button hook (hole?)- first mistake was thread bunching up because the material wasn't moving and second mistake after cleaning up the first was to sew both halves together! Next sac will just have a hole melted thru.
    You did a good job - it's nice to have custom-sized sacks for your gear!

I wouldn't worry about problems with the buttonhole - you won't see many (any??) good commercial stuffsacks with buttonholes for the cord exit. It's high-friction, and an excellent place to start a rip. Also, any buttonhole in thin fabric needs a doubler (or interfacing) to back up the buttonhole stitching, or the zig-zag will usually just pucker up the fabric.

There are quite a few better/stronger ways to arrange the drawstring tube.
    I'll pull out some other sacs and post some more pics, someday (soon) , but here's one example: Hilleberg tent sack. It uses a separate piece to form the drawstring tunnel. It's more work, but we do DIY for fun, right?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Tarp
    12' henessy
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ and UQP
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie - msh
    Streamline, thanks for the tip. That will be handy when I make an organizer out of mesh. Where I was having an issue was when I added the small reenforcement piece for the buttonhole. The foot wanted to 'drag' the small piece and the stitches kept piling up...I think I also need to work on the 'lead foot' when pressing the peddle .

Hammock
    Tarp
    12' henessy
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ and UQP
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie - msh
    Hey Victoria Guy...beautiful Vancouver Is. I'm heading to BC in a few weeks... thanks for the info and pic of the sack you made. Fine looking job. I prefer diy for most hobbies I get involved with. Certain items I won't make but I do enjoy gettin' my hands dirty. Go Canucks!

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Look's good Seaelf! Do you live on your boat? Can you hang a hammock in there? Sorry for the thread drift, but that boat looks super cool!
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Zpacks
    Insulation
    Just enough!
    mountain hardwear does a great job with the closure on their stuff sacks. they feed the draw string through a small, rigid plastic o-ring that is sewn to the opening. that way the o-ring takes the strain instead of the fabric.

Hammock
    DIY Sage TCF gathered end
    Tarp
    Kelty 9
    Insulation
    ccf fleece down
    Suspension
    DIY webbing/biners
    I love that junk rig on your boat
    the sad thing about stuff sacks is that you can get 3 of them for under 5$ at the evil empire. very nice work.

Hammock
    Tarp
    12' henessy
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ and UQP
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie - msh
    Thanks Red! Yes, I live on her. Before making the sails I could hang a hammock between the masts. If I move the sails and sheets out of the way I may be able to do it again.
    Red, I like the idea of the handle on the bottom of the sack. I can see where that would be handy.

Thanks Tansey. And I did see the sacks for sale at the big store. In fact, I bought some last week just to have some.... Will be making the remainder. I need something for my tarp and hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast