DIY Camo Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    I was thinking about the ideas expressed here and that started me thinking about what I would use to wrap my amsteel whoopie slings to divert rain water...

What if you took a nacrabiner and threaded the whoopie sling through the adjustable loop end of the nacrabiner. I imagine I would do this just past where the tail exits the bury on the WS. Then just cinch down on the two strands of the nacrabiner and the adjustable loop is now tight around the WS. The rain water would hit the nacrabiner and be diverted down the two strands of amsteel to the knot end of the nacrabiner that is hanging loose below.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by GvilleDave; 05-19-2010 at 09:54.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    I was in Linville Gorge and used two strips of the infamous "Sham-wow" about 3/4" wide by 8" long and tied a half hitch over the soaking wet whoopie to my hammock.

Worked like a charm!!!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe 2Q's MOD 3
    Tarp
    Large HH Tarp
    Insulation
    XL 3in self inflat
    Suspension
    Whoopiesling/strap
    Quote Originally Posted by GvilleDave View Post
    I was thinking about the ideas expressed here and that started me thinking about what I would use to wrap my amsteel whoopie slings to divert rain water...

What if you took a nacrabiner and threaded the whoopie sling through the adjustable loop end of the nacrabiner. I imagine I would do this just past where the tail exits the bury on the WS. Then just cinch down on the two strands of the nacrabiner and the adjustable loop is now tight around the WS. The rain water would hit the nacrabiner and be diverted down the two strands of amsteel to the knot end of the nacrabiner that is hanging loose below.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    I was unaware of this type of adjustment on the NACRAbiner.
    Well done
    Tom

I have an idea that seems kind of obvious so im sure other people have though of it and it doesn't stop rain or something.

How about taking the end of the whoopie's long hanging tail and adding another but very small adjustable whoopie eye there. The long tail could loop back up to the whoopie where you want. Slide the end eye of the whoopie tail along to where you want and tighten it.

edit: actually a very tight but non adjustable eye might work on the tail end too.

Hammock
    Homemade Dual Layer
    Insulation
    Foam Padding
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I have had issues with my hammock getting wet via the suspension. I was using a webbing suspension however, which I believe to be the culprit. I use a drip strip which handles just about everything but a torrential downpour. For those time when the drip strip wasn't enough I would use the leftover webbing that wasn't wrapped around the tree and tie a bunch of loops using a slippery half hitch(I think thats the knot I use and if there wasn't any extra webbing I would pull out a bit of extra rope and use it to tie a couple of loops in the line. I'm in the process of changing over the suspension to Whoopie sling type setup, I'm hoping this will alleviate some of the problems with heavy rain. If not the tail of the whoopie sling will be perfect for tying loops

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345